Sunday, February 12, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Covert Hearts

Whew. What a long week. I've got three work projects going and some movement on my possible new venture. And crazy weather that keeps hopping back and forth from super cold to very mild. I'm not a fan.

Had a somewhat decent week of television. I'm not back to my normal schedule because my work projects need solid focus. But … I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things.

I finished up the Midsomer Murders I started last week and really enjoyed the episode. I have a lot of love for Barnaby and Winters.

I caught an episode of Peak Practice. I'm in season nine and what I consider the home stretch since there are three seasons left after this one. Not a bad episode but I do miss some of the recurring characters from earlier seasons.

Continued my Battlestar Galactica rewatch with my friend. Season one starts with what I consider to be one of the absolute best hours of scripted television ever. "33" is in my top ten episodes of Battlestar and probably in my top ten episodes of television. Edge of your seat viewing for the entire episode. Terrific stuff.

Watched an episode of Classic Who and finished out the arc. I have ten episodes left to finish out the full run of classic episodes. I think I'll be starting a Death in Paradise run after I conclude with Classic Who.

Started the first of the final two episodes in season twenty of Silent Witness. I'm looking forward to finishing it up and seeing where things go.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Covert Hearts, a novella that puts an established couple in a terrible spot.

Here's the mini-blurb:

An impossible task. A couple sworn to carry it out or die trying. One big test of the depth of their courage and love.

And a sneaky peek…

Emma arrived at the scheduled time. She ran a hand over her sleek ponytail, checking to make sure the simple style stayed in place, and then knocked on the door.

"Enter." The chancellor's voice, even when muted by solid wood, held authority.

Emma entered briskly and stumbled to a stop, catching sight of Rick seated at the conference table enjoying breakfast with her boss.

The chancellor rose. "Ms. Wells, prompt as usual." He nodded toward the empty seat at the table. "Join us, please."

Emma made her way toward the men, wondering what the hell, but hoped she might finally get some answers. "Thank you, Chancellor." Her lips turned up when he pulled out the chair, waiting until she'd settled on the seat before gently pushing it back in.

Rick the Asshat hadn't bothered with the customary gesture of rising when someone new joined the meal in progress. Instead, he lifted a brow and smirked. Emma bit back a nasty retort and smiled sweetly in his direction.

The chancellor didn't waste time. He poured her a cup of coffee and got down to business. "Emma, you've been with me how long?"

She didn't hesitate. "Five months, sir." And she'd enjoyed the time.

McBride repeated her words. "Five months." He nodded. "And you've met Mr. Mannix how many times?" He steepled his fingers.

She answered honestly. "Several. We bumped into each other at a gala fete we each attended. Not long after that in your office. And last night. In my apartment." The thought still pissed her off.

McBride inclined his chin. "Ah, yes. That particular meeting has caused quite a conundrum for me." He met her gaze. "It shouldn't have happened, and I'm afraid I have to take action." He casually picked up his mug of coffee.

Take action?

Her eyes narrowed. "Disciplinary action? With all due respect, what for? It's not like I invited him over for drinks." Although he'd certainly helped himself. "Frankly, sir, he's lucky I didn't shoot first and ask questions later."

The chancellor shot Mannix a sideways glance. "I'm aware Mr. Mannix dropped by uninvited, Emma. I'd like you to tell me why." He snapped his attention back to her.

Shit. Truth time.

She rolled a shoulder. "Something's off, sir. I don't trust him, and my job is to make sure your bases are covered. To that end, I've had him under surveillance for the past few days." On her own time and off the books.

McBride pounced. "I don't recall giving you an order to keep tabs on Mr. Mannix."

She glanced away. "You didn't, sir." Her voice lowered. "I'm sor—"

Mannix interjected, "For gods' sake, Dad, let her off the hook."

The rest of her apology squeaked out. "ry, sir." Her head jerked upward. "Wait. Did you just say, Dad?" Her gaze met the chancellor's sheepish one.

He heaved a sigh. "Ah, Rick. You had to jump the gun, didn't you?" Rising, he moved to stand by his desk. "Emma, effective as of ten seconds ago, your security clearance has been raised to A1." He opened a folder and turned it toward her.

She blinked. "A1?" She didn't know such a level even existed. "What the hell is going on here? And exactly how much trouble am I in?" She barely waited a beat before adding, "Sir."

Rick finally rose from his spot. "You're not in trouble. You've been promoted to the inner circle, Ms. Wells." He held out his hand. "Agent Rick McBride. Deep cover ops."

Emma automatically shook the extended hand. "Well, shit. That explains a lot." Her face flushed with heat. "Um, sorry. Need a minute to digest everything."

The chancellor had kindly given her exactly sixty seconds to wrap her head around the buttload of information before handing her a pen and launching into a full scale debrief on what his son did and her new job duties.

Emma hadn't looked back since.

Al did indeed mean the inner circle, with less than five people having that level of clearance. Working closely with highly classified information and witnessing the intense drain on the chancellor's time and energy changed her. She made a conscious effort to get through the red tape and nail down details before the chancellor had to get involved in anything. After her promotion, she got involved on a personal level with the younger McBride and had zero regrets.

The object of her thoughts entered his dad's suite and crossed the floor. She pressed the link on the communication unit to buzz for the chancellor. He'd been expecting his son for an important debrief.

Rick nuzzled her neck, wrapping her in his embrace. "Not much longer until our handfasting." His lips brushed her temple.

She didn't get a chance to reply. The chancellor entered and they got down to business.

The elder McBride gave Emma a nod. "Your report on the summit location needing more security is spot on. I'm glad I can rely on your strategies—your gut instinct rarely leads me wrong."

Rick gave her a quick smile then updated them with the scuttlebutt he'd overheard in the elevator.

The elder McBride frowned. "You have a go to be more intrusive."

Rick leaned forward. "I have to deliver lunch to Hix's suite today."

McBride nodded. "Go early and use an amplifier to catch anything you can."

Emma made a note and signed a requisition. Things were getting hot and her gut didn't like where that heat might lead.

I love to write a couple that has a solid foundation then shake things up to see how sturdy it is.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment