Sunday, May 21, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Fail Me Now

Greetings! It's been another busy week and I'm still excited about my ongoing projects. They're completely different genres and it's fun to have that variety while working.

Somewhat limited viewing week again. I've been in a place where background noise is more distracting than helpful, which occasionally happens. I notice it more on day when I didn't get solid sleep the night before.

I did catch most of Pennyworth. I have the last act of the episode to watch. This show is dark in all the ways I like shows to be. And I love getting to see Alfred actually grieve. And having Ripper be the catalyst that pulls him out is kind of a master stroke. Such a great show!

Also continued my Battlestar Galactica rewatch. We started season two and the first ten episodes are so terrific. The second half of the season is also excellent, but I remember so much about those first ten.

That's pretty much it for the life update. I am hoping to get some gardening in this week so stay tuned.

Tonight's post is from Fail Me Now, a novella that brings the main characters together by having one being ordered to the bring the other into the fleet.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tate Emerson has no desire to fly fighters—he's worked too hard to get out from under his father's thumb. But when enemy forces attack, Indi Best comes calling with a special invitation from the elder Emerson: Join the fight or get left behind. Tate hatches a plan to do his part, but not have to take orders from his father.

And a sneaky peek…

Indi stood in the control booth and let out a low whistle. "Damn." Getting Tate through the accelerated flight class and moving to simulators didn't surprise Indi. "Tate definitely has aptitude." But he'd just breezed through the preliminary sim runs. "How the hell did he manage that?"

A double knock sounded on the door and Indi pushed it open to admit Tate to the room.

He arched his brows. "What's my score?"

Indi informed him while she crossed behind the desk to note the numbers in his file. "You're a little too good." Freakishly so.

Tate rolled a shoulder. "I gotta confess I've been in simulators a lot. Like before I could even walk." His gaze drifted to the viewing screen and his lips turned upward.

Indi absorbed the information, not doubting Teague probably had Tate in a cockpit before he'd been out of diapers. "How long since the last time?" She bit back a smile at the image filling her head of baby Tate in a pilot's seat.

Tate did a mental calculation. "Hmm … right before I walked out on my dad, so a little over seven years ago." He gave a nod of confirmation.

She blinked. "The cockpit had a total redesign three years ago, but you adapted exceedingly well." Again, he'd blown her away.

Hell, it had taken her several weeks of practice runs to get the new configuration memorized. Tate did it in two test flights.

Tate narrowed his gaze. "If this is where you compare me to my brilliant pilot dad, I'd better leave. 'Cause I'm not interested." A dark look crossed his face.

A bit put off by the constant digs at her and the old man, she folded her arms over her chest. "I didn't plan to compare, but to compliment your skill." She bit the words out, trying to resist the urge to punch him.

Tate's head dropped and his shoulders slumped forward. "I'm sorry. That was a dick move and you don't deserve that. You're a terrific instructor." He propped a hip on the edge of the desk. "What's next?" A thread of excitement entered his tone.

The apology helped and Indi relaxed also. "In your case, even more of a fast track." She closed the file and tucked it under her arm. "If you're willing, I want to get you in a prowler." He'd only be wasting time with more sim runs.

A brief flash of eagerness lit his gaze, but he blinked it away. "Uh, fine. When?" He attempted some nonchalance by swiping at a nonexistent speck of lint on his uniform.

She fought a smile. "Last dog watch. Less traffic, more room to maneuver." She'd have to clear the usage with the LSO but didn't expect any pushback.

Tate's eyes widened. "As in today?" He stood. "I'll review the preflight checklist then. Can I meet you on the fight deck?"

She gave a nod and let him go.

Flipping his file open, she exhaled slowly. "Make or break time. And I have a feeling Tate isn't going to be happy when he ends up falling head over heels for the prowler." But she would be.

I'm very happy with how this story is coming together. Indi has Tate's number whether he'll admit it or not.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment