Sunday, May 28, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Fevered Pitch

I can't believe we're at the end of May already. The year is flying by a lot faster than I want it to. Then again, it's been busier than usual for me, so time is kind of relative right now.

Had a great week with work projects. I'm making steady progress on both and still enjoying them. It's so much fun when you love the work.

Had a somewhat limited viewing week. I'm trying to figure out the whole HBOMax is Max now and, oh, yeah, it includes Discovery+. I have both so I have to figure it all out. I won't be paying twice for the same thing.

I watched a double-header of Battlestar Galactica with the second and third episodes of season two. I can't say enough about how strong the first ten episodes are. This show rarely missed in the first two seasons.

Also caught another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I have so much love for this show. It also makes me happy when people pop back up. I kind of miss a few of the original recurring characters but it's nice to have the continuity this show tries for.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Who. I think I might have one or two left to finish out the classic run of episodes. Not sure if I'll start a new rewatch of the New Who or not, but I'm excited for the new doctor and the anniversary specials.

I'll be starting the second part of Silent Witness this week. I'm also going to change up how I do my viewing. I normally scroll through my streaming services and watch one show from each, but that hasn't been cutting it lately. I think I'll start watching whatever strikes my interest and go from there.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Fevered Pitch, a bonus read featuring the characters from Mia's Choice.

Here's the mini-blurb:

After six months apart, Hal and Mia are finally reunited at the new space station. But Hal is unknowingly exposed to a virulent virus and brings it along from his last planetary excursion. He succumbs to the raging illness and Mia makes a fevered pitch to her former husband to save Hal's life before she surrenders to the same infection.

And a sneaky peek…

"Well, hello, Mia. It's lovely to hear your voice."

Mia swallowed a gag at the sweet tone her ex-husband used. "Can't say the same, Fredrick. But I appreciate you taking my call." As if he didn't already expect it.

Fredrick's tone changed after her greeting. "Why did you call, Mia? I've got a full schedule today."

Mia explained the situation and added her suspicions. "I have no doubt you're behind the virus, Fredrick. This whole thing smacks of your tactics." Especially since the planetary scans were clear.

Fredrick made derisive hum. "Regardless of where the virus originated, you must truly love this Hal if you're making a call to me of all people. Especially after the last time we spoke."

And that, right there, gave Fredrick's whole game away.

Mia gave a quick answer. "Make no mistake, Fredrick. I'd call the demon who rules the underworld if it means saving Hal's life. But your scheme backfired. Hal isn't the only one who's ill. If half the station goes down there will be a full-scale investigation, which won't bode well for you."

Fredrick tsked. "Such passion. If only you'd shown some when we were married."

Mia snorted. "If only you were worthy." She waited a beat. "But you weren't. Especially considering the way you treated me. Holding my father's position over my head to use and objectify me with your friends. Switching out test results to keep him beholden to you and keep me on a short leash. Contaminating the water supply of Hal's ship to put me in my place. And none of it worked."

Fredrick countered. "It's really too bad, my dear, that you have no proof of my misdeeds. You left with nothing but my name. But you took everything that belonged to me. "

Mia smiled. "You're right. But you just confirmed every horrible thing you did on a recorded line, and I won't hesitate to broadcast to the entire universe if you don't come through." She paused a moment then hammered the final nail. "Where will your precious research grants come from if that happens?"

Fredrick snarled. "You bitch. I'll make you pay for this."

Mia shook her head. "No, you won't. Never again. You can't touch me anymore." She straightened in the seat. "And you can consider the length of our marriage as payment in full for this little favor. And you have exactly twenty-four hours to provide the formula." She ended the communication to the choked sputters of Fredrick and the cheers of Jessup Main.

This started out as a bonus read but may end up as a sexy short. The characters have things they want to accomplish and they're stretching out the word count.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment