Sunday, January 14, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Luck Runs Out

Brrrr. It's cold outside. Thankfully, we only lost power once during the first gusty windstorm and didn't lose it all while the wind howled over the last three days. And I can live with a couple of inches of snow. Not a huge fan of temperatures in the teens but layers help when I have to take the dogs out.

Had a super-busy work week and I'm thrilled to have my calendar filling up with projects. I like to stay steady because it keeps me motivated and focused. When I have too much free time I get lost in a haze.

Not a bad week for viewing. I made a full circuit through my regular shows minus the rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. The power blip caused a delay there.

Started the week with My Life Is Murder and enjoyed the episode. The mystery ended up being pretty decent.

Caught the second half of Agatha Raisin and thoroughly enjoyed. The cast really hits on all cylinders and even though I miss James, I love the vibe of these characters.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness. I'm kind of happy to see Jack's familial issues. His brother is a piece of work and I'm interested to see where things go with him. Rather like the new colleague. Looking forward to seeing how she fits in.

Watched another episode of Death in Paradise. I didn't really remember this one so I enjoyed it. Fun to see the commissioner on the suspect board.

Caught another episode of Elementary and quite liked the way Sherlock ended up being on the outs with both Joan and the captain. Fun episode.

Enjoyed another episode of The Batman. I'm nearing the end of the first season and all the players are established for the most part. And the episodes are holding up fairly well.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. I didn't remember either of the vignettes so really enjoyed watching both.

Finished out the first season of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. I'm intrigued and interested in how things are going to play out in the next season, which I'll probably start this week.

Also managed to finish the episode of VIP that I started last week. Looking forward to a new one this week if time permits.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Luck Runs Out, a novella that fits into the Queen City, Mars universe established in the Furlough 99 series.

Here's the miniblurb:

Domino Montgomery and Webb Wellesley are totally different personally and professionally, but they work seamlessly together. When they land an off-world transport assignment, they have to babysit a condemned prisoner and deal with an impish captain who's hiding a wee bit of a secret of his own.

And a sneaky peek…

Alarm bells went off in Webb's brain. "What's the situation?"

Bilar lowered his voice. "Your guy is in an induced coma, and he needs to stay that way."

Domino frowned. "Not exactly SOP, but also not out of the ordinary realm. What's going on, Captain."

Webb winced a little. She always took liberties. And often demanded things out of their reach.

Captain Christian held her gaze. "The prisoner is the zoner who released Sheen at the Underground. He's altered because of the reaction." Bilar leaned forward. "He went from basic fun guy to full on sociopath because of the drug." He held up a hand when Domino opened her mouth to ask a question. "The concern here is his access to a trust account, which means he could try to buy his way out of facing charges. His family already got him relocated to Venus for his trial."

Webb caught the brief flash of something—a mix between rage and pain—in Domino's gaze. Wonder what that's all about? Then a memory hit him. She'd lost a friend at the rave.

Domino kept her voice steady. "I'm supposed to keep this guy sedate and comfortable when he caused more than a hundred people to die?" Her fingers gripped the arms of her chair, her knuckles going white.

Bilar grunted. "You're supposed to do your job. I know this is a tough one, but you've never let me down and I'm counting on both of you to not start now." His tone softened. "The change in venue isn't going to save him from prison. Doesn't the idea of him never seeing the light of day mean something?" His eyebrows arched.

Domino slumped. "Yeah, I suppose it does." She exhaled on a long, slow breath.

Webb braced his forearms on his knees. "The only thing better would be a one-way journey to the underworld." The image of dragging body after body out the rave reared up in his mind.

Captain Christian agreed. "True, but we won't he sending him there." He picked up the panels with their briefing notes. "Wheels up in ten. We're flying you to the Lucky Shamrock and you'll pick up duty from the prison medics."

Domino slipped her device into her rucksack. "Sir." She got up and quickly left the room.

Bilar gave Webb a long look. "Goes without saying she'll get the job done but keep an eye on things."

Webb nodded. "Copy that." He slung his duffel over his shoulder and made a quick stop on his way to the hangar.

He definitely needed to get that deck of cards.

This story is coming together and I'm excited to see where it ends up. Very pleased with the progress so far.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment