Sunday, January 28, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Make the Call

Geez. I can't believe January is almost over. It's been a month. Hell, it's been a year and we're only through the first month. Heh.

Had a crazy-busy work week and I'm so thrilled! Several new projects are in my calendar and I'm moving full steam ahead on my new venture. Truly hoping I'll have it ready to launch in the next few weeks.

Solid week of viewing. Didn't quite make it through my full list of shows, but the new work projects are taking priority and I'm totally okay with that.

Started with My Life Is Murder. So much fun to see Renee O'Connor acting with Lucy Lawless again. A great episode.

Enjoyed another Agatha Raisin episode. Nice to have James back even though I have a feeling he won't be a permanent fixture. The episode ended on a cliffhanger so I'm looking forward to picking back up this week.

Watched the first of a two-part Silent Witness. The tension building in this episode ended up being excellent. I'm a bit disappointed in Nikki's story thread. The student seriously screamed creepy stalker from the first moment he popped up on screen. I have a very sneaking suspicion he did something and if true, I really want a major repercussion. I'm also hoping like hell Jack's family isn't going to be smaller by the end of the next episode.

Caught another episode of Death in Paradise and had seen bits and pieces of this one. So glad I got to watch the whole thing. I like getting backstory for the island cast.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. Kind of loved Sherlock sort of being there for Watson at the end. The dynamic between the two characters is fun to watch. Getting a glimpse of Jane's backstory is also nice. Makes me wonder about the lawyer guy though. I'm not a fan of fast and loose storytelling.

Started season two of The Batman. I remember being so disappointed they changed the theme song. I do rather like the introduction of Batgirl.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. Loved this the first time it aired and thoroughly enjoyed again. So much fun.

Starting my viewing schedule over again. The Secret Life of Amy Benson, VIP, and Battlestar Galactica will hopefully get a watch this week. I also need to pick back up with Peak Practice in the near future.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Make the Call, a novella that puts a former couple back on track to a reunion.

Here's the miniblurb:

Gia Pimm has everything she wants, but a reminder from her mother—that Gia will always suffer when good things happen—makes her walk away from Nolan Curry. But when she needs antibiotics, she swallows her pride and makes a call to the man who has them—Nolan.

And a sneaky peek…

After finishing his call to the ship, Nolan turned at the sound of someone entering the yurt much sooner than expected. "That was a lot—" He broke off when the colony leader gave him a brief smile.

Lila lifted her chin. "Will I be seeing transfer paperwork for one of my best protégés?" She nodded toward the couch and followed Nolan over to sit.

Nolan winced. "Er, yes. And I should've talked with you before calling up top to get the process started." He shrugged and kept his mouth shut, unwilling to dig a deeper hole.

Lila sighed. "This isn't a complete surprise. Gia hasn't been happy down here, even if she's been an asset to the committee. Her experience on both sides of the fence gives her a unique perspective to work from." Leaning forward, Lila rested her elbows on her knees. "So, I have to ask if you're sure about letting her reenlist." She pinned him with her gaze.

Nolan didn't blink or waver. "I'm sure. Always have been. Gia's the one you should probably ask about being certain." His words lacked heat, but the undercurrent couldn't be missed.

Lila tilted her head, studying him a moment. "Do you know why she cut ties and ran?" She straightened and settled back against the cushions. "Have you ever wondered what she's afraid of?"

Nolan's head jerked back. "Gia?" He snorted. "Pretty sure she has no fear. Have you ever seen her in action?" Gia held her own better than most men.

Lila's lips curved. "I have, yes. But I'm not talking about being a soldier or even a leader down here. I'm referring to her past." She sobered. "I'm not breaking a confidence or anything. My question stems from watching her with you on the way here then observing her with Rand down here. Mr. Simpson is what I call a safe bet. He makes no demands on Gia, and he definitely doesn't challenge her status quo. Instead, he takes passive aggressive action by doing the exact opposite of what he should." Lila met Nolan's gaze. "That's why he's in medical. And it's why she's finally ready to face the truth. They're not meant to be together."

Nolan narrowed his eyes. "Then why?" He stopped and shook his head. "Actually, never mind. I think I get the point you're trying to make." Pausing a moment, he turned her words over before continuing. "To answer your original question, no. I can't say I've given thought to what she might be afraid of." But he would be now.

Lila nodded. "I kind of figured. That's why I wanted a few moments with you. I don't care about the proper protocols for Gia returning to the military. But I do care about her." She gave him a sheepish smile. "And you, too. The protection you provide by staying in orbit is paramount to our success with this project. I want you and Gia to be happy together."

Nolan lifted his chin. "I appreciate the insight you've given me. It's probably way past time for Gia and me to have a heart-to-heart conversation." He tamped down the embarrassment of not ever doing so before.

Lila arched her brows. "I assume you won't be dipping into the population for your endless supply of female companionship anymore?" Her lips twitched … just a little.

Nolan flushed hotly, but he refused to squirm under her scrutiny. What happened between consenting adults shouldn't concern Lila. And he made sure anyone who came to visit had a clear definition before they set foot on his ship.

He shrugged. "After Gia left, I swore off getting entangled with anyone else." He focused back on Lila. "With her coming back, my time will be spent working on our relationship."

Lila grinned and patted his hand. "I'm very happy to hear that."

I love writing couples who find their way back to each other. Nolan and Gia have a journey to take and they're finally heading in the right direction.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

 

No comments:

Post a Comment