Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Nugget Training

Gearing up for a busy week with work projects and my youngest's graduation from college. I think we're also going to have some nasty weather, which should be fun.

Had a solid week of work and writing, which makes me very happy. I might be finding my groove again. I so hope I am. I'm not a fan of being unable to focus when I need to.

Had a decent week of television viewing. Made it through the modified list of shows and started over.

I caught the final two behind the character bonuses for My Life Is Murder. I'm somewhat hoping there's another season. Based on a little research, I think there might be.

Also watched two episodes of Madame Blanc Mysteries. Both were enjoyable. Kind of sad to see the pub owners no longer with the cast but interested in Dom's uncle being a possible addition. Hopefully he won't be too shady.

Enjoyed the two-part Silent Witness. A lot of twists and turns in this one and I liked them. Looking forward to starting a new two-parter this week.

Finished up season six and started season seven of Death in Paradise. I'm excited to dive further into Jack's tenure as the DI. It feels like this is when cast members start their merry-go-round of coming and going. But I'm looking forward to more of this show.

Caught another episode of Elementary and Moriarty is making their presence known. I'm kind of interested in how this might play out over the seasons. I'm very much loving the dynamic with Sherlock and Watson.

Watched another episode of The Batman. I guess it was the season two finale. It always kind of annoys me when the first season is twice as long as the remaining ones. That said, pretty sure Robin makes an appearance in season three so there's that.

Enjoyed an episode of Classic Rugrats. Again, these were new-to-me vignettes. Not sure what happened with season seven during the original run, but I'm happy to see those now.

Also finished up the Peak Practice episode I started a while ago. Hoping to get another one in this week.

That's it for the life update. Tonight's post is from Nugget Training, a novella that brings a couple together even though they don't always see eye-to-eye.

Here's the miniblurb:

Bonnie Bash has issues with remembering boundaries and it gets her in trouble with Taggart Allen, her immediate superior—especially when she sometimes forgets she has to respect the rank. She quickly learns why she frustrates Tag so much when she's thrust into training a group of fifteen newbie pilots, nuggets, and not one has a clue or even cares about how the chain of command works.

And a sneaky peek…

"Bash is flying with Brown. Daub is flying with Elliot."

Lieutenant Bonnie Bash jerked her head up and glared at the CAG, Taggart Allen. He did not just say she had to fly with Alti Brown. Five and half hours of nonstop chitchat would drive her bonkers mad. What the hell did she do to piss Tag off?

Her hand shot up before she could stop it. There had to be someone else she could fly combat air patrol with. Alti just rubbed Bonnie the wrong way. His play by play of everything that happened in the last daily rotation never failed to be mind numbing. She just couldn't deal…

"Bash? You have a question?" Tag's voice cut through the white noise roaring in her ears.

Bonnie blurted the first thing that came to mind. "Did you go alphabetically for this roster?" She expected better treatment from a guy she'd been tight with since basic.

Hell, they practically lived in each other's pockets now and had since that first brutal welcome.

Tag sighed. "No. Moving on." He continued reading the flight schedule off.

She couldn't let that answer slide and got snappy and snarky, piling question after question onto Tag, interrupting his ordered delivery of information.

He finally shut her down. "Bash. Wheels go up in twenty minutes. I have five more items to get through. Kindly keep your mouth closed until I finish up." He pinned her with a hard stare and narrowed his eyes.

She huffed out a breath and sulked for the rest of the briefing, reeling a little from the harsh words. Stung would be a better description. Since when did Tag go all rank and file on her?

Right about the time she pushed every button he had. But, damn, putting her with Brownie? She didn't expect preferential treatment, but a heads-up would've been great. She could've prepared for the longest five and half hours she'd ever have to spend in a cockpit. Now, she'd be lucky to survive without her ears bleeding from the onslaught of inane details that would spew from Alti's lips.

When Tag dismissed them, she made a beeline for the exit. She wanted a few moments to lick her wounds and maybe curse Taggart Allen into oblivion.

Some friend he's turned out to be.

This story has some fun banter and I love writing characters at odds even when they're friends.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment