Whew. What a week. Ohio
got a lot of the smoke from the Canadian wildfires, and it was kind of eerie seeing
the hazy gray skies for most of the week. Good time to stay inside due to the
high danger air quality alerts.
The weather at
least stayed just under sweltering. My garage cleanout went much smoother since
the temperatures weren't as high as they have been. Going out very late at
night and only staying there for under an hour also helped.
Work projects moved
along. I finished up a few odds and ends and started a new copy edit. I also
touched base on a few back burner projects. I got to review some back cover
copy and book blurbs, which is always a fun change of pace.
Had an okay viewing
week. Didn't quite make it through all of my usual shows but made a decent stab
at them. Between the cleanup and a lengthy run with my own writing, my watching
took a back seat.
Started with another
bonus episode of Foyle's War behind the scenes. An interview about the
details of the final episode with the writer and the show historian. Very much
enjoyed it.
Also finished up Tales
of Irish Castles. Really liked this series and its deep dive into the seriously
large number of castles in Ireland.
Caught an episode
of Silent Witness and made it about halfway through. I'm going to take a
break, I think. This season is kind of dark, which I enjoy most of the time but,
in all honesty, I kind of need something lighter right now.
Watched another
episode of Poirot and really enjoyed it. It's always fun when familiar
people pop up in these movies. And this one was very twisty, which I enjoy.
Elementary ended up being really good. I really like
getting backstory and even though Marcus's is full of strife and pain, it tied
into the current happenings really well. Also loved Sherlock being there for
Marcus at the end.
That's all for the
life update this week. Tonight's post is from First Time Laid Eyes on You,
a novella about opposites attracting each other.
Here's the
miniblurb:
Nadia Blunt takes one look at Bart Uppermark and decides
they'll make a great team in the air and on the ground. But when Bart shows
zero interest in working together—she takes too many risks for his comfort
zone—Nadia pulls out all the stops and proves him wrong.
And a sneaky peek…
Stunned, Nadia relaxed and tried to
keep her mouth from falling open. "Um, yes, sir." She followed his
suggestion and settled across from him. "You're really choosing me as your
wingman?" She had to be dreaming.
He nodded. "I am." He
flipped her file open and got down to business. "But I'll be perfectly
honest. You scare the hell out of me." He thumbed through her fit reps.
"You've been cited for reckless maneuvers over a dozen times." He
glanced up. "That's about ten times more than I'm comfortable with."
She considered his statement.
"May I speak freely?" Did she really want to mount a defense?
He inclined his chin and
rested his forearms on the desk.
She exhaled slowly, then went with
the first thing that popped into her head. "If you feel I'm too reckless,
why did you even pick me as a choice?" He had to have a reason.
He snapped off a response.
"Delta roll double dive." No hesitation, no time needed to think.
Her lips twitched, but she didn't
speak.
He shrugged. "Aside from
myself, I only knew of two other pilots who can pull off the maneuver."
His voice held a note of amazement.
She flashed a brief smile.
"And now me." Pride filled her.
He agreed. "And now you."
She relaxed even more, sliding down
in the chair a little. "I managed the delta roll double dive on my fifth
attempt." She lifted her gaze to his. "If rumor is true, you got it
in seven." His reaction here would make or break her decision to trust
him.
He quirked an eyebrow. "The
information is accurate." His lips curved in a wry smile.
She straightened and leaned
forward. "I'll admit I push harder and farther than I should sometimes.
But I firmly believe we, as pilots, have to test not only our limits, but the
limits of the crafts we fly." Her tone edged on passionate, and she
cleared her throat. "If you'll note, I have one citation involving another
pilot and that occurred one month after I graduated. The other occurrences only
put myself at risk." She learned a valuable lesson about never pulling
others into her hijinks.
Bart countered. "Yourself and
a multimillion-dollar space craft." He leaned back again, waiting on her
response.
She mimicked his stance.
"Touche. I promise to keep that in mind." A finger shot up. "But
… I can't always fly by the book. It goes against my nature and my
instincts." And would absolutely be a deal breaker.
Bart placed his forearms on the
desk again. "I'll give you some leeway, but if you endanger my life or any
other pilot, I'll have your wings." He held her gaze.
Nadia weighed his stipulation.
"I wouldn't expect anything less." And she would do her best not to
let him down or give him an opportunity to find fault with her.
He reached across the desk, his
palm extended. "Welcome to active flight status as my wingman, Lieutenant."
Nadia cracked a wide grin and shook
his hand with a firm grip, holding on longer than necessary. "Thank you,
Captain." She'd done the impossible and landed her dream position.
Bart walked her to the hatch.
"Expect your transfer papers by the end of the day." He flashed a
quick smile.
Nadia exited the office with her
mind filled with one specific thought. One hurdle down. Another one to
overcome. Her attraction for the man raged hard.
But his by-the-book stance would be
a challenge to sway.
Except … he kind of gave her
something of a free pass. Or maybe it's a trap. He'd give her some room
in the cockpit but if she mis-stepped elsewhere, he'd start a new search.
Gah! Too many thoughts crowded her
head. She'd get settled, find her footing, then worry about the attraction and
how to manage the hot pull she didn't want to resist.
Having a lot of fun
with this one. Nadia and Bart are going to do a delicate balancing act and really
enjoy it.
That's it for this
week. Catch everyone on the flipside.
ML Skye
No comments:
Post a Comment