Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Wasted Credits

Happy New Year!!

I hope 2014 is filled with everyone my readers want and, of course, lots of reading!

I'm not a big fan of resolutions, but I do love setting goals. This year, my hope is to publish at least six manuscripts and learn more about the graphic end of the business. Luckily, my oldest kidlet is something of a whiz when it comes to creating great designs, so I have a built-in tutor.

I'm also feeling a strong pull to get back into crafting and being creative. My youngest is all for this and wants to help out. I'm looking forward to the bonding time we'll have.

And my middle child is my TV buddy. We watch a lot of the same shows and spend quality time chatting and dissecting the episodes. All in all, a good time.

The husband is an avid golfer and I'm hoping we'll get to spend some time on the course together. Even when I only go along for the ride, which is about half the time, it's a nice way to relax and catch up with each other.

On the television show front, Sherlock is back!! The convergence of acting, writing, and filming just makes me so happy. New episodes of my other favorite shows start soon. Banshee returns this Friday and I'm excited and on edge just thinking about it. I have no idea why that show sucks me in, but it completely does. J

Tonight's post is from Wasted Credits and will probably feature in the Furlough 99 brand for Ellipses press. I've been wanting to explore what the miners do on their downtime and I think I finally have a story to fit the mold.

Here's the tagline:

Valora Prime can't figure out why a smart, attractive man like Hackett Barnes pays for sex. When she corners him to find the answer, his response catches her off guard and she has to make a quick decision. Let him in or let him go.

And a sneaky peek…

Valora threw up her hands. "What the hell are you thinking, Hack?" She plopped down beside him on the seating unit. "You're attractive. You could have our pick of anyone."
He lifted a brow. "Anyone? I don't think so, Valora."
Ouch. His words hit a little closer than she wanted to examine at the moment. Especially since she kept three full arm lengths between them. Still, the idea he spent his hard earned income on the sex workers of the space station rankled.
She sighed. "Why would you waste your credits? Seriously, what are you thinking, Hackett?"
He snorted. "I'm not. That's the point. I don't have to." He angled sideways. "I walk in, point out the woman I want, and hand over the fee. It's not that hard."
She growled. "But you do think about it, Hackett. It's who you are." At least it used to be.
Val didn't know this version of her co-worker. And she kinda had herself to blame.
Hackett huffed out a harsh breath. "Oh, that's right. I overthink everything." He paused and inhaled deeply. "But not this."
Geez, how could he not hear the total lie he'd just uttered. The description of his transactions showed the thought process. Whatever, she'd try a different tactic.
She nodded. "Ah. Turning over a new leaf, then."
He shrugged. "I'm trying. Why does it matter, Val?"
She lifted a shoulder. "Like I said. Wasted credits." Cripes, she sounded stupid, didn't she?
He snarled. "They're my cubits to burn. Stay out of it."
She waved a hand. "Fine. Whatever." She folded her arms in front of her chest and kicked her feet out.
If he wanted to get pissy about the conversation, she'd shut up.
Hackett kept it going. "Seriously, what's your problem?" He got up and paced the floor.
He would ask. And she couldn't answer because she had no idea.
She shook her head. "I don't have one." Not that she'd admit anyway.
He snorted. "Oh, I think you do. And I wanna know what it is." He stopped walking and faced her, pinning her with his gaze.
She glanced away. "Look, Hack. Forget I said anything. You've been acting off since you took your tumble in the mine. This just tops it, okay?"
He cocked his head. "Why? It's not like you haven't used sex to blow off steam. And it has nothing to do with the cave in."
Okay, she did like to get laid when they had rec time, but… "I've never paid for it."
He went for the jugular. "No. You love 'em and walk away."
She heaved a sigh. "It's less messy that way." At least for her.
She never allowed the thought of how her partners viewed the situation to enter her mind.
Hackett tsked. "Whatever. Paying for it keeps a kid in meds. At least the transaction has value."
Valora came up off the seating unit. "Geez, Hack. Do you hear yourself?" She paced back and forth. "Value? Are you serious? And how do you know it buys medication for a kid?" She paused, waiting for it.
He answered. "Because I asked."
Ding. Ding. Ding.
She whirled around to face him. "And you've just proven the point you're still thinking about what you're doing. Tell me you get that."
He shook his head. "Yes, I get it, but not for the reasons you think." He strode in her direction. "And you still haven't told me why it matters. Why do you give a shit who I sleep with?"
Damn. He had her there. She shouldn't give a flying fuck. Valora wisely kept her mouth shut.
Hackett stopped inches away from her. "That's what I thought." He leaned in close. "When you figure out what your problem is, come find me."
Valora's tongue darted out, wetting her lower lip. "Talk to me, Hackett. You're not this guy. What the hell happened to you?"
He threw his head back. "God, Val. What hasn't happened? Do you want the whole list or just a condensed version?"
Hackett's been through a lot and he's got it bad for Val. She'll eventually figure out she's got it just as bad for him. :D



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flip!

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment