Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Snippet: You're Welcome

January 19, 2014

Hiya!

Whew. What a week. I've been wearing my editor hat, trying to keep up with some pressing deadlines. But I have had a little time to write on some current WIPs AND keep up with my heavy slate of TV shows.

First… Arrow returned! Great episode. Seriously, I feel like I'm watching a movie every time it's on. And Banshee did not disappoint either. Also, Lost Girl? I'm sooooo happy it's back. I love the cast to bits!

So, tonight's post is from You're Welcome. It's in the beginning stages and I'm not quite sure where it's going yet, but the snippet basically popped into my head and I had to write it down. J

Here's the tagline:

Dalyn Harris spends a lot of his time keeping his significant other, Shauna Drake, out of hack. When an old, forgotten prank catches the executive officer by surprise, Dalyn scrambles to keep Shauna's part under wraps—he has no desire to spend their anniversary in a brig cell.

And a sneaky peek…

"You're welcome."
Shauna frowned. "For what exactly?"
Dalyn walked into the room. "Keeping your ass out of the brig. Again."
Shauna blinked. "And how did you do that? I haven't done anything to get thrown in hack." She waited a beat. "Lately."
Dalyn smirked. "Exactly. Remember the small arms locker on H deck?" He dropped down onto the chair across from her. "The one you rigged to blow leftover paint… because no one ever goes down there anyway, right?" Shauna snickered. "Oh yeah. That."
Dalyn nodded. "Yes. Guess who's now wearing a lovely shade of red to go with his bloodshot eyes?"
Shauna groaned. "Oh, tell me it's not." It could only be one person.
Dalyn cocked his head. "It is."
"Shit." She shot Dalyn a sideways look. "How the hell did you keep him from coming after me?" Their 2iC loved to write her up on report.
Dalyn smiled, wide. "A trick I learned from the old man. The bait and switch."
Shauna tilted her head. "I didn't know your dad liked to fish."
Dalyn rolled his eyes. "No, Shauna. He picked this up from his Uncle Sam." He leaned in, speaking on low tones. "I nudged Bradshaw toward the newbies, Hot Lips in particular, because she's been trying to one up you for a long time now."
Dalyn's mouth curved again. "Now she'll get to find out, firsthand, how most of your pranks end…"
Shauna finished for him. "In the brig." She got up and rifled through her locker, pulling out a recent novel she'd just finished.
Tucking it in the pocket of her fatigues, she headed for the hatch.
Dalyn quirked a brow. "Where're you going?"
Shauna turned and winked. "To give Hot Lips something to occupy her time. It's the least I can do." She exited, whistling an off-key tune.
Dalyn laughed settled back in the chair.
Shauna ducked back through the hatch. "By the way." She gave him a jaunty salute. "Thank you."

Shaua has another scary brilliant idea on the way to the brig. She'd like to thank Dalyn in a much more intimate manner. Rawr!



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flip.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment