Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sunday Snippet: While We Still Can

Okay, lots of TV stuff to talk about. Gotham is truly upping the stakes and I love the way they're doing it. Gordon is so focused on the crazy sibling duo he's completely missing the trouble brewing with Cobblepot and Nygma. I can't wait to see what happens next. Sleepy Hollow had a decent fall finale. I've missed a bunch of important stuff and need to get caught up.

The Flash is coming along nicely. I'm excited to see where things go, leading up to the Legends of Tomorrow premiere. The same goes for Arrow. This season, between the two shows, there's been a great combo of moving the standard story arcs along with laying great groundwork for the spinoff getting ready to debut. Way to go shows!

Agents of SHIELD keeps throwing interesting twists and turns into the story and I love it. I'm excited to see where things go.

Haven is winding down and I'll be sad to see the show end. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the adventures of Nathan, Audrey, and Duke. I'm also hoping Syfy fills the void with something good, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm looking forward to The Walking Dead's newest episode. Again, I'm so thrilled with the way this season is unfolding. The balance of total batshit insanity, intense encapsulation, and little seeds being planted is a thing of beauty.

A quick rundown of some other shows. I'm loving the new season of The Librarians. This show makes me happy. I'm also totally in for Agent X. TNT is bringing some great stuff to the screen. Murdoch Mysteries is also coming up with great storylines, which after almost ten years, is so awesome.

Last but not least, I can safely say the most recent episode of Doctor Who hit a home run, even though I'm still not a big fan of Ishieldr / Me. I'm seriously hoping we won't see her as a companion, but I won't hold my breath. *sigh*

And that's it for this week's television roundup.

Tonight's post is from While We Still Can, a sexy short where being in the middle of a war can't stop romance.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Maura Sells and Cobb Kinkleman are fighting in a long and bloody war. During a rare moment of downtime, Cobb decides they need to get what they can, while they can and quickly convinces Maura a heated kiss. They face a bleak future and stealing a night of hot passion may be their only reprieve.

And a sneaky peek…

Maura Sells sat in the back row of the briefing room, listening to her worst nightmare. Her fellow pilot, Cobb Kinkleman—in the front row, as usual—tapped his pen on the armrest of his chair. She couldn't see the action, but the rapid staccato of sound echoed in the nearly empty space.
The CAG finished up the mission report. "As of now, you're on standby. I'll issue final orders as soon as I get the go." He paused and glanced from Cobb to Maura. "Questions?"
Maura barely held back a rude snort when she shook her head back and forth. What kind of question could she possibly have for a hail Mary op? One that would probably lead to her death? The CAG gave a terse nod and exited the room.
Cobb angled his head around and met her gaze. The knowledge rested in eyes—a good chance they wouldn't make it back. Her heart thumped hard in her chest. Lost chances, wasted opportunities, and crappy odds kept them at arms' length. Neither willing to gamble on losing the other.
A bet they had a good chance of winning today. Together.
Cobb slowly rose and made his way to the back of the briefing room. Stopping beside her seat, he nodded toward the hatch. Maura got up, a low hum of adrenaline thrumming through her veins. The keyed up feeling wouldn't go away until they got the call for the mission.
Cobb fell into step beside her. "Rec room to chill or gym to work out some aggression?" He paused at the end of the causeway.
Maura made a right. "Rec room. I want some quiet time to focus." She unzipped her flight suit, shrugged the sleeves down and off, then wrapped them around her waist.
Cobb ducked into the rec room and made a beeline for a table in the corner, one close to the comm unit on the wall. Maura slowed her pace, watching him settle into a chair and kick his feet up on another one. She sank down across from him and propped her legs up on a seat perpendicular to the rest. Cobb drummed his fingers on the smooth surface of the table.
She slapped her palm on his digits. "Stop it. We could have a long wait and I don't want to wrap your fingertips in tape when they start bleeding from your nervous habit."
Cobb smirked but slid his hands from the table. An awkward silence stretched between them and Maura searched for a topic to discuss, something they rarely needed help with.
She opened her mouth, but Cobb held up a finger. "Hold up. I have something that'll help us out." He tilted the chair back and tapped on the panel under the comm unit.
The cover popped off and Cobb reached inside to retrieve a bottle of whiskey with two tumblers stacked on top.
Maura quirked an eyebrow. "Did you have inside information that we'd draw the op?"
Cobb shrugged. "Nope. I've had this stashed for ages." He flipped the glasses over and unscrewed the lid from the bottle. "We've lost so many people lately we can't really keep up with memorializing them." He met her gaze while pouring the amber liquid into the tumblers. "This is as good a time as any to lift a glass to those who've gone before." He pushed a cup toward her.
Raise a glass to those who've gone before. Possibly before their own demise. The irony hit her square in the gut.
She hesitated for a moment then joined him in the toast. "I like the sentiment." Downing the liquid she placed the tumbler on the table and Cobb refilled it. Giving him a level look, she tilted her head to one side. "I get we're on standby, but seriously? Is your plan to get us drunk?"
Cobb lifted a shoulder. "The way I figure it… we might stand a better chance of surviving if we're totally inebriated out there."
Maura choked down the alcohol and barked out a laugh. "You might just be right."

I enjoy taking a tense situation and putting my characters on the edge of an emotional cliff. So much fun to write.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flip side.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment