Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Operation Moot Point

My incredible and awesome gram left the world at around 1AM this morning. She gave me the very best adventures while I grew up and I'm going to miss her something fierce. As she said the last time I had the chance to be with her, "It's no picnic getting old." But she aged with beauty and grace. Considering I'm pretty much the spitting image of her, I hope I have the same experience.

It was a pretty great week for television. Legends of Tomorrow had a great episode. I loved having Wally and Rip together for an adventure and the whole pirate scenario kicked ass. I'm always sad when the show gets nitpicked to death. That said, it's not perfect, but I like that it isn't.

I missed the new episode of The Flash, but I'll catch up soon. Black Lightning turned out a good hour. I like having more of the pieces and outing the new kid on the block to her parents ended up being way better than I expected.

Arrow broke my heart. This is still one of my very favorite shows and having the two teams battling each other kills me. I'm not sure where the whole Laurel storyline is going, but I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. I'm really excited to have Roy return even if he'll probably get tortured… again.

I'm almost finished with season four of Chicago Fire. Still pretty thrilled with the overall arcs of the characters and I loved Mouch and Trudy's wedding. I have a new DVD to watch tonight and then I think it's on to season five.

I finished the first season of The Punisher. Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The guy I actively wanted to die at the end is still kicking but I'm okay with that. The other one I wanted to see die a horrible death got what he had coming, so there's that. Here's hoping there's a season two.

I have to play catch-up with Gotham's newest episode. I'm also getting a few of my foreign shows lined up. Murdoch Mysteries and Marcella are on tap when I can find a few spare hours. Looking forward to both!

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Operation Moot Point, a sexy short featuring two main characters tasked with pulling off a surprise party and the fun and games ensue.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Zia Rogue and Keb Belova are highly trained soldiers and put in charge of Operation Moot Point. Between them and their specialized skills, they should be able to plan the surprise party for the base commander—if they can stop arguing long enough to actually get the work done.

And a sneaky peek…

A crazy plan landed in Zia Rogue's brain and wouldn't let go.
"If someone doesn't break through the communication barricade, the battle will be lost."
Her crazy-ass plan might blow up in her face, but her squadron barely held their own against the enemy ambush. The blinking satellite on the tower almost begged for use… and turning the enemy's equipment against them had a poetic justice to it.
The only problem? The base rail guns on the ground and the enemy squadron between her and the tower. Shitty odds on a good day. And today didn't count as good in any way.
Zia hit her thrusters. "Fuck it. We're all dead if I don't try." She made an end over end flip and dropped as close to the hard deck as she dared, staying just above the enemy flak.
Keb Belova's voice crackled over the short range comms. "Zephyr, what the hell. Get back in formation." He said her call sign with a long emphasis on the 'Z' the only indication of his frustration.
Right. Because SOP tactics were working really well right now. Not.
She flipped the switch over to ship to ship. "Look, Krypter, we've gotta get word out about the ambush. Cover me so I can get through." She hit her turbo thruster and shot forward.
Keb launched into a major tirade. "Don't even think about doing something stupid. You don't have a way—"
She cuts comms so she could concentrate on her task. "Okay, Wheezy. We've got a bit of tricky flying to do and I need everything you've got." Her affectionate name for her ship came from the sound it made when lowering to the hangar deck.
No, she didn't care what anyone thought. Naming her ship kept her in the air. Rational thought didn't have to enter the equations.
Zia rode the turbulent air, keeping just above the enemy counter fire and below the main action above her. Keb did his part, providing cover while Zia ran the gauntlet. She almost freaked out when she hit the halfway mark.
Letting out a surprised laugh, she powered forward. "Looks like I might just pull this insane stunt off." Another burst of speed after dodging fire from a repositioned rail gun and she wanted to take back the confident talk. "Dammit. That's too close." Why did she think up this crazy stuff?
An explosion to her left caught her attention and she glanced over, giving a relieved sigh to see the remnants of a weapon spread out over the ground. A silent thank-you to Keb went up to the universe. The man rarely missed when he fired his long-range missiles.
When she burst free of the chaos, she exhaled a harsh breath. "Yes! Now I've got you." Idling close to the satellite, she quickly keyed a coded message to the fleet. Ambush on asteroid base. Backup needed. Full squadron. She added the coordinates to bring them in from the right flank.
Once she sent the missive, the cold realization hit her. Of course she didn't think about how the hell to get back on her side of the line. Only her singular plan mattered.
Until now.
She closed her eyes. "That's what Keb started to say." She'd cut communication before he got the words out.
Well, hell. She angled her ship around, but didn't engage the thrusters. At this point, she'd pretty much be waiting for death. Wouldn't take long for someone on the base to reposition the counter fire in her direction. She might avoid some of the hail of bullets, but not all.
Her mouth dropped open when she spotted Keb dropping out of formation and heading her way. The lunatic hit his turbo burst and shot forward.
Zia shook her head. "And he thinks I'm insane."

I love writing crazy plans and dropping the characters into the middle of them.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment