Sunday, August 5, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Sibling Rivalry

Wow… it's August. Almost time for school to get started again and the fall sports season to get underway. For me, this means feed the team for one of my daughter's golf matches and getting ready for football games and band competitions. Oh… and homecoming. We got the dress picked out and ready to order today. Yeesh.

Had a low-key week in television. Got kind of busy doing other things and ended up watching a lot of binge scheduling of Murder, She Wrote.

On DVD, I finished up Batman: The Brave and the Bold and got the second half of The Batman's season five episodes. Really enjoyed both.

Finished up the second to last episode of Strike Back's fourth season. Caught a Chicago Fire episode and also watched the season one finale of Sense8. Man… I'm completely sucked in to this show. I was going to watch the second season of Luke Cage then watch season two of Sense8, but I need to know what happens next. LOL Sorry, Luke… I'll be there soon.

Started Patrick Melrose but it didn't grab me. I'll watch it sometime later. Had a binge watch of The Saint on regular television. I'll be hunting down the entire series in the near future. Really love the show.

I'll be watching Wynonna Earp and Killjoys later this week. Had too much stuff going on Friday night to watch live.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Sibling Rivalry, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of writing something similar to boot camp. I picked flight school.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Fayne Cartier falls for his brother's flight instructor, Rumor Child, he has no idea how difficult dating will end up being when his brother shows signs of not having the chops to qualify. Rumor won't cut him from her class thinking the sibling rivalry may be just what the younger Cartier needs.

And a sneaky peek…

Fayne waited outside the instructor's office. "Rumor Child. Sure has a sassy mouth on her." And he'd definitely noticed her lips, which he'd love to see used for something other than kissing him off.
Fayne did a quick personnel search with his handheld. Okay, she had the chops to back her attitude up, as much as he hated to admit it. Maybe he could talk some sense into her since his brother wouldn't listen.
Fayne sighed. "Dammit, Renner." Thinking he had to follow in their father's footsteps.
Not that the old man disabused his youngest of doing so. Fenrick thought being a pilot should top both of his sons lists. So… of course Renner fell right in if only to please the elder Cartier.
The door opened and Fayne waited until his brother exited and turned the corner before he ducked back inside Rumor Child's room.
Lieutenant Child glanced up and heaved a sigh. "I don't have time for—"
Fayne cut her off, holding up a hand. "I came to apologize for butting in to the interview." He dropped his arm and finished up. "I overstepped and deserved getting thrown out." There, hopefully, that would smooth the way for what he really wanted.
Rumor narrowed her gaze, tilting her head to one side. "And?" She drew the word out, leaving no doubt he wouldn't get anything past her.
He liked her and the fact she saw right through his apology.
He flashed a smile. "Let me take you to dinner to make up for being an ass." He waited, full of anticipation for her response.
Again, she didn't disappoint.
She snorted. "And to talk me out of adding your brother, right?" She rolled her eyes.
Fayne shrugged. "More like letting me share my concern in a calm and rational manner." Hopefully, he could manage that feat.
Rumor shook her head. "As much as I appreciate the gesture, I don't have time." She walked around her desk and gave a pointed look at the files spread across the surface. "I'll be here until at least nine after I finish conducting interviews." She met his gaze.
Disappointed, but completely understanding, Fayne nodded. "Another time then?" He held out hope.
Rumor gave him a long, considering look. "I think I'd like that." Pulling her chair out, she sat down, opening the top folder on the pile.
Backing toward the exit, he grinned. "Sounds great." He turned and left her office, heading for the parking lot.
The beginning of a kick-ass idea formed in his mind. If she couldn't have dinner out, he'd bring it in to her. His brother's potential mistake notwithstanding, Fayne wanted to spend more time with the intriguing flight instructor.

Fayne is definitely going to meet his match in Rumor. They also won't have an easy time staying on the same page.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment