Sunday, August 19, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Specter's Masquerade

Yeesh, another crazy-busy week. And it's allergy season for me, so… yay. Not.

I had a particularly lengthy manuscript with formatting issues so my viewing schedule dwindled again this week. As usual, I caught marathons of Murder, She Wrote and In the Heat of the Night as background for much of the week.

I caught a CW Seed pilot called Cupid's Match. Gotta say that one looked kind of interesting. Also watched Pensacola: Wings of Gold and another episode of Lexx.

I ended up starting and not finishing another Hallmark Movie. I apparently like the mysteries way better than the meet-cutesy ones. Still… I'll keep sampling.

On DVD, I caught two Batman movies. Bad Blood and The Killing Joke. Both were pretty decent and I enjoyed the more adult-oriented storyline.

Finished season four of Strike Back and I'm geared up for season five. Looking forward to seeing if I like the new cast as much as I loved the previous one.

I'm almost finished with season six of Chicago Fire. I truly love where the cast is right now. Of course, there's a major shake-up for season seven so I'm not sure how I'll like that.

Caught a sci-fi marathon of original series Battlestar Galactica, Kolchak, the Night Stalker, Lost in Space, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea last night. I love revisiting some of those classic shows.

And that's it for television this week. I'm behind on Wynonna and Killjoys but should catch up this week. Fingers crossed. Tonight's post is from Specter's Masquerade, a novella set on a space station and the opening book for the Masquerade series.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Juna Newberry starts her new position as head of security on the Specter Spacestation under fire. She walks into the job two days before the biggest gala event of the solar year, a threat is made on the personnel, including the principal owner of the station, Maddox Specter, all while fighting her attraction for the sexy entrepreneur.

And a sneaky peek…

"You brought a new chief of security in two days before the Specter Masquerade?"
Maddox Specter paced back and forth in his conference room. The sheer stupidity of the board's decision hit him harder than it should. Especially when he'd been out on the fringes of space, discussing a new venture with Roman Holly and catching up with two other old friends. Dammit, he'd earned a brief holiday, had worked his ass for it, in fact.
But he should have counted on the board to move in and make a few sweeping changes. They battled against him at every opportunity.
Paul Edwards, the chairman, made a soothing sound. "Now, Maddox, you said yourself we needed to move on hiring someone."
Maddox whirled around, the holo images swimming in his vision. "Not two bloody days before the biggest event of the year!" He lowered his voice. "And not without consulting me." Sweeping his gaze over all the holographic visages, he asked. "Who spearheaded this exercise in stupidity?"
No one spoke up or took credit. Maddox didn't care who jumped the gun. They were all a bunch of morons.
At least they'd gone with one of his top five choices. Juna Newberry had serious qualifications. And she'd probably put them to good use if he didn't get the hell out of this meeting and do some damage control.
Maddox turned to face Paul, singling him out. "Edwards, this isn't finished. Once the masquerade is over, we'll be meeting again. I won't have the board running roughshod over Specter Station." And he wouldn't need their backing much longer.
Edwards quirked a brow and smirked. "I have no doubt you'll have plenty more to say, Maddox, but we're not done here. We still have the new galleria bid to go over."
Maddox snorted. "Right now I don't care about adding new shops. The bid can wait. I have a new head of security to get settled in." He turned on his heel and walked out of the conference room.
Walking the short distance to his private office, he entered, giving a terse order to his admin. "Wanda, get me a meeting with the new head of security as soon as she arrives." He loosened his tie, tossed it onto the credenza behind his desk, and walked over to the bar to pour a splash of Carbonite bourbon into a glass.
His admin's soothing voice replied. "Guess what, Maddox? She's already waiting on you."
Maddox glanced up and sure enough, his new employee stood moving back and forth in the reception area. His eyes slid closed and he downed the alcohol. No time to prepare, but he'd meet the situation head-on.
Heaving a sigh, he grabbed his tie and put it back on. "I'll meet her now. Grant access, Wanda." Knotting the fabric shouldn't feel like a noose, but somehow… it did.

The sages gave me a huge chunk of this story in one go and then they kind of stepped back and cut off the flow. I have the outline finished and story points for the other three books now. Here's hoping I can finish this one up and launch the series soon.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment