Sunday, July 21, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Zero Sum

Man… the heat has been horrible this week. I hope everyone has a cool spot and is dealing with the high temperatures safely. Ugh… it's miserable. Watching the Irish Open, I truly wanted to be there. I mean they were wearing sweaters and jackets. I could go for that right now. And, yeah, everyone needs to remind me when I'm griping about how cold it is in May next year to shut up and deal. LOL

Slow week for television viewing. I had a full slate of work and needed to focus so I didn't get as many shows watched.

I did catch another episode of Daredevil. I missed watching one last week. Not a bad episode but too much Fisk for my liking.

Krypton had a great episode. I'm in deep and want to know what happens next. I'm honestly not sure if I care whether Lyta is redeemed or not but I do want to see her reaction to the reprogramming.

Watched another episode of Painkiller Jane and the pieces started to fall into place. Only about three or four more episodes left of this show.

Last but not least, I caught another episode of Durham County. Man, Michelle Forbes can really play the barely hanging on by a thread character better than a lot of actors. She's scary good at those roles.

That's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Zero Sum, a novella that started with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Sabrina Delft and Carrick Stafford have a zero sum relationship—whenever one gains something, the other has a corresponding loss. But when they're stranded on an abandoned mining colony and forced to rely on each other, they learn to balance the good with the bad and end up with a total win.

And a sneaky peek…

Carrick put his feet through the legs of the suit and glanced up to find Sabrina frowning with her arms crossed over her chest. "What? What now?" Just once, he'd like to have a plan she didn't question.
Sabrina shook her head. "I should go. I'm smaller and won't use as much of the O2." She planted her hands on her hips. "As you pointed out, we don't know if there's breathable air out there or what condition the outpost is in." She made a "gimme" motion for the suit.
Carrick didn't relent right away. "You have a point, but what if you can't get in? Brute force might be necessary." No way would he tell her the idea of her going alone didn't sit well with him.
She'd laugh her ass off.
Sabrina pursed her lips. "Look, if I can't get in, we'll have to risk you going back alone.  But it's smarter to send me first." She turned and gathered up a few tools, including a pair of metal cutters. "If there's any kind of lock, this should get through it, but I kind of doubt they even bothered." Facing him again, she quirked an eyebrow.
He handed the suit over. "Fine. I'll do some diagnostic work in the cockpit. Radio as soon as you're in and give me a sitrep." He assisted putting the oxygen pack on her back. "I mean it. If you don't contact me within thirty minutes, I'm coming for you, breathable air or not." After half an hour, she'd be down to half her supply.
Sabrina rolled her eyes. "Can I go now?" She put the helmet on and plugged in the tubing from her pack.
He gave a nod and grabbed a comm headset. "Thirty minutes." Following her to the airlock, he pressed the release so she could hit the outer hatch.
An orange glow filled the small area when Sabrina stepped outside. Sunrise? Sunset? Hard to tell until they got their bearings. She pushed forward then gave a thumbs-up.
Once the hatch closed behind her, she checked comms. "Break one, check one." Her voice came through on a burst of static.
Atmospheric interference, but minimal. Not a bad sign.
Carrick responded with a quick reply. "Check. Mark." Her thirty-minute countdown began.
Carrick backed away from the airlock. Watching her wouldn't get the diagnostic work started. And Sabrina wouldn't appreciate the concern niggling along his spine.
Not that he'd ever admit to having any.
At least not out loud.

This story is still in its beginning stages but the outline is complete with additional brainstorming added in. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment