Sunday, July 18, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Operation Moot Point

Another crazy-busy week but I got a lot of television watched. Finished up some short-term projects and got started a new long-term project that I'm excited about. July is almost over and I'm kind of surprised by how fast it's flying by.

On the television front, I actually got four episodes of The Muppet Show watched. Julie Andrews, Jaye P Morgan, Peter Sellers, and Petula Clark were the guest stars. Had a funny conversation with my brother about the reason I've been rewatching the series—mainly because it's something I remember us doing when we were way younger—and he regaled me with how he remembers certain skits more than he remembers the guest stars … and that's actually kind of true for me, too.

Ended up getting in two episodes of The Hardy Boys also. Really excited the guys got into the secret room and I loved how they completely disagreed about what to do with the pieces of the eye. Interested in what Stacy's game actually is. Something tells me she's not quite as ready to trash everything to do with the circle as she claims. I love how shady all the possible baddies are on this show. I can't wait to see how the first season ends with the finale.

Caught two episodes of Peak Practice and enjoyed both. I liked being able to see Beth and Jack grieve for their loss. Andrew is definitely growing on me, which is a good thing because he sticks around for a long time. Will is Will and I like him as he is.

Watched two more Master Class lessons with David Carson. The first focused on designing impactful magazines and I got some good information from that one. The second one was about designing your future and had the four group members trying to predict what their future would like in design. It was interesting and I liked the group overall.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. The final with midwinter as the backdrop ended up being really good. The opener of season two with the epiphany set some interesting dominoes in play. I'm kind of excited to see where things go.

Loved the finale of Street Legal. I'm kind of hoping there's a second season because I'd like to know where the characters end up going. I kind of didn't see the partners hooking up coming but I'm interested in how that ends up playing out.

Caught two episodes of Chicago Med. Both were excellent. I'm so happy I'm finally able to catch this show from the beginning.

Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries had a great episode. Watching James and Peregrine tiptoe around each other makes my heart equally happy and sad. I love seeing the ramifications play out with them though. Next episode looks really good with Percy the Putz stirring the pot again.

Watched the second part of Silent Witness and ended up really enjoying the ending. I think I caught it during my initial run because I vaguely remember how things played out.

Got a full arc of Classic Who in and enjoyed the four episodes. I'm still not sure about the whole new regeneration of Romana but we'll see how the season plays out.

Caught another episode of UFOs: The Lost Evidence. I'm nearing the end of season two and I'm not sure if there's another season or not but I quite enjoy this show.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers and, so far, it's interesting. There's a reporter that's annoying but otherwise good story rolling out.

Started a new-to-me series with Brokenwood Mysteries. I loved the first episode and look forward to see how the next few hold up to the premiere.

That's pretty much it for television. Tonight's post is from Operation Moot Point, a sexy short that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Zia Rogue and Keb Belova are highly trained soldiers and put in charge of Operation Moot Point. Between them and their specialized skills, they should be able to plan the surprise party for the base commander—if they can stop arguing long enough to actually get the work done.

And a sneaky peek…

Not a single ship fired at him when he dropped down to follow Zia's trajectory. Not even the surface rail guns aimed his way.

Hitting the thrusters, he hit the halfway point. "I'm as crazy as she is." He kept going intent on saving her ass.

A single thought circled around in his brain. I can't face life if she's not in it. What that meant on a deeper level, he couldn't answer. Instinct drove him to keep moving so he didn't have to find out.

He shot past the final enemy raider and rolled into the space next to Zia.

Zia's voice crackled over the line. "What the hell did you just do?"

Keb blinked, a little stunned to still be breathing. "I came to get you."

Zia sputtered and choked. "Why? Seriously … why would you do something so stupid?"

Keb bit down on the truth. "Because two on this side and ten on the other gives us all better odds." And it meant she wouldn't die alone. "You got the message out, right?"

She huffed out a breath. "Fine time to ask. But, yeah, I did."

Zeb slowly started forward. "Then we'll close ranks and take out as many as we can until reinforcements arrive." He switched over to address the full squadron. "Hold positions for ten count. Cut all chatter." He didn't want anyone to lose focus. "Tighten the net by mark zero four every seven. If the raiders stray out of the zone, tear 'em up." He eased forward a little more.

Zia's voice came over the ship to ship. "I didn't get an acknowledgment. We don't know if we'll get help."

Keb shrugged. "Doesn't matter. We've got a small window of opportunity here. We're between the enemy and their satellite, which means they can't call for more ground assistance. We hold the line here for thirty and do as much damage as we can." They'd be fucked on epic levels if another squadron didn't show.

Zia muttered on the ship to ship. "I still don't get why."

Keb didn't give her an answer. "Squawk twice if you get an acknowledgment. Otherwise, go silent. We have work to do." He wouldn't—couldn't—have a heartfelt conversation with her about the why.

Mainly because he still hadn't wrapped his brain around the depth of his feelings yet. And might never do so. Zia never made things easy and usually went out of her way to make them as difficult as possible.

Lining up a target, he let loose with a volley of gunfire and hit his mark. Zia followed suit and took out another raider.

"And there we have it. Nothing like a gun battle to act as a distraction."

I'm having more fun with this one than expected. Keb keeps sticking random little ideas into the story and I'm here for it.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flip side.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment