Sunday, October 31, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Red Tape

Happy Halloween to those who observe. We had our trick or treat last night and it was nice to be outside with semi-decent weather to enjoy fall. For me, it was wonderful to take a break from some renovation in the bathroom. I'm not twenty-five anymore and I'm definitely feeling that right now. LOL

Not a bad week for television, I started with another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries and quite enjoyed it. I love the quirkiness of the characters and the cases. Such a great show.

Watched a two-part Silent Witness and I vaguely remembered this one. It's odd how a season from a decade or so ago holds up so well. What goes around comes around.

Caught two arcs of Classic Who, which brings me close to the end of season twenty. Pretty sure the Master is going to show up again around the final arc.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Muppet Show. Liza Minnelli and Phyllis George were the guest stars.

Finished up season six of Prime Suspect. I'll be starting the final season this week. I'm not sure what I'll move on to after this series but I'll find something.

Watched two episodes of Roswell: The Final Verdict. I kind of like the use of AI truth detection they're using to determine whether witness accounts about the crash are true or not. Interesting viewing.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice. I'm coming up on the last few episodes of season five and I'm still enjoying the series. Slowly but surely making my way to season twelve with one of my favorite actors in an early role.

Got some great information from MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. I'll be coming back to this lesson in the near future.

Started the new-to-me series Glitch and got rather hooked on the first episode. My sibling highly recommended this one and I look forward to discussing it with him.

Watched Pop Profile: Demi Lovato and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not overly familiar with her career and the profile was interesting to follow along.

Caught another episode of Star Trek: Discovery. Things are definitely heating up and I can't decide if I'm really down with what's going on with Ash or if I need to shake my head over it. Either way, I'm so invested in what happens I can't wait for the next episode.

Great Chicago Med episode with Halsted, Rhodes, and Reese learning some lessons. I always find the episode names interesting and I love how they almost always end up fitting the theme.

Watched another Midsomer Murders episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. After twenty-two seasons that's saying something. I have one more episode of this season then, hopefully, a new season in the near future.

That's pretty much it for this week's viewing update. Tonight's post is from Red Tape, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Noelle Phame and Dirk Santias are given a temporary duty assignment to a new space cruiser and quickly realize how different the traditions are on an admiral's flagship. Once they figure out the red tape, they're free to fraternize all they want.

And a sneaky peek…

Noelle stopped the battle formation sim, their final for the day. "Any questions?"

Dirk adjusted the lighting then moved back to stand beside her.

One of the pilots in the front row, Bartleman Jones, raised his hand. "Yeah, are you free for dinner tonight?" He waggled his eyebrows.

Noelle slid a sideways glance to Dirk then rolled her eyes. "Do you really think I'm going to fall for that? You want inside information, don't you?"

Jones laughed. "Maybe I want to test the waters with a beautiful woman."

The rest of the class responded with a collective groan.

Noelle chuckled. "Nice try. Just because I'm from a different ship doesn't mean the frat regs don't apply." Not that the rules really tripped her up.

Bartleman rolled a shoulder. "Can't blame a guy for trying. And, hey, there's a way around everything. Just saying." He smirked.

Noelle gave him a long look. "Maybe so, but don't waste your time. You don't need to tax your brain trying to figure something out." She retrieved the disc with the sim runs and tucked it into her case.

Another pilot, June Lampkin, laughed out loud. "And he goes down in flames."

The guy next to her arched a brow. "What does that make, Jones? Ten consecutive crash and burns?"

Jones snorted. "I'm not in double digits yet. Give me some credit."

Dirk stepped up to the podium. "Duly noted. Now, all of you, get out of here."

The class started leaving and Noelle gathered up their files. When she glanced up, Dirk waggled his eyebrows much better than Bartleman could. "So … there's a way … we just need to figure it out." He moved behind her and cupped her ass.

Noelle lifted her chin and spoke quietly in his ear. "The sooner the better. We're almost up to a week since we've been together."

Dirk gripped her hips. "Copy that. I'll see what I can find out." He eased away from her and gathered up his case, slinging it over his shoulder.

Noelle followed him out of the room, discreetly admiring the flex of his butt under the blue fabric of his pants.

This is a fun little story and I love Noelle and Dirk trying to be sneaky.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment