Sunday, December 5, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Specter's Masquerade (a Specter Space Station novella)

Hello, December. I'm stuck between being excited for the holiday season and freaking out because I have a lot of things I'd like to get accomplished and not enough time to slide them all in. The story of my life.

Not a bad week of television but a little lighter than usual. I started out with Peak Practice and ended up getting two episodes watched. Both were pretty decent.

Finished up the MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. I had two lessons left and got some great information from both. Not sure what I'll start next but I'm excited.

Caught another episode of Glitch. Some interesting developments and good information. I like the pacing of this series and find I need to focus so I don't miss an important piece of the puzzle.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. I finished up season one and started season two. Looking forward to diving back in.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. Season three is beginning with a good run. I'm a little on the fence about Dr. Reese. I love her passion but I also get annoyed when she goes off the deep end about something.

Started season six of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Interesting to see another one of Mike's ex wives. I liked having Jared back. Also a good mystery to keep things fun.

Caught an episode of Silent Witness. I don't remember this one so I'm interested to see how the second half ends.

Finished the second part of Classic Who and said goodbye to Tegan. I think the Master is going to make another appearance soon, which I'm kind of meh about.

Enjoyed another episode of Mysteries of Apollo. This one focused on Apollo 8 and had some great information. I love watching old footage of the space program's beginning.

Watched two more episodes of The Muppet Show. James Coburn and Glenda Jackson were the guest stars. The pirate-themed episode ended up being a lot of fun.

Caught another episode of Fantasy Island. Really fun episode even if the theme ended up being a little dark.

Finally caught the finale of Star Trek: Discovery. Really great ending to the first season. I'm excited to start the breakdowns of The Ready Room then move on to season two.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Specter's Masquerade, one of four novellas set at Specter Space Station.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Juna Newberry starts her new position as head of security on the Specter Spacestation under fire. She walks into the job two days before the biggest gala event of the solar year, a threat is made on the personnel, including the principal owner of the station, Maddox Specter, all while fighting her attraction for the sexy entrepreneur.

And a sneaky peek…

Juna paced the antechamber of the chief station operator's suite of offices. Pissed off, she banked the fires of her anger, letting it smolder and stay hot. The doors whisked open and she whirled around, ready to let loose.

Instead, she stopped and sucked in a harsh breath. Geez. The man is gorgeous.

Maddox Specter had a commanding presence. Tall and broad-shouldered, he filled out the tailored suit and cut a handsome figure. His dark hair had waves, giving him a roguish appearance. The sharp angles and planes of his face made her fingers itch to trace the peaks and valleys.

Crap, she didn't have time for her libido to kick into gear. She blinked and shook her head, focusing on the steaming pile of shit she'd stepped into. Opening her mouth, she made ready to voice her grievances.

The extremely attractive owner beat her to the punch. "Hell's bells. Not only did they fuck up the hire date, they picked a bloody gorgeous woman, too." A hand raked through his hair.

Juna bristled. Beyond tired of having her physical beauty judged over her ability, she made a quick move. Striding two steps forward, she shoved hard at Specter's chest then jerked him forward by grabbing his tie. A small sidestep put her behind him with his tie wrapped around his neck, cutting off his air supply. She snagged his arm and drew it back, twisting it upward in the most uncomfortable position she could manage.

Leaning in, she snarled. "I'm damned good at my job." She bent his wrist at an odd angle. "Gorgeous or not." Why did the hot men always need a demonstration to understand?

Maddox held up his free arm in surrender. "I have no doubt, Ms. Newberry. You wouldn't have made the top five candidates if I did." His words were raspy due to lack of air flow.

Juna released him, her face flaming hot. No one told her she'd been on a list, or that she'd been a top choice.

Maddox straightened his tie then loosened and removed it. "I should turn you loose on my board of directors." He tossed the crumpled and ruined fabric on his desk.

Juna would replace the accessory. She owed him that much. And she quickly surmised a few key details; he'd been in the dark about the decision.

Juna quirked an eyebrow. "The idiots who brought a critical staff member on board two days before a huge event?" Her earlier anger dwindled to a thrum of irritation.

Maddox snorted. "Yes. Exactly. They pulled a sleight of hand while I was off station visiting a friend of mine."

Juna squared her shoulders. "Point me in their direction." She'd love to give each member a very verbal piece of her mind.

Maddox flashed a grin. "As much as I'd enjoy that show, I really should get you up to speed instead." He indicated the chair opposite his desk.

Juna took a seat and the irritation melted into a healthy respect for the way he'd diffused the potential cluster fuck and turned the experience into something positive. Over the next several hours her admiration grew when he took her through the employee files, the temporary list of event staffers, and the guest list. After a quick break for refreshments he'd ordered from Wanda, he covered the various locations for dancing, dining, and the main draw—the masquerade contest.

She frowned. "Wait. Contest? Does that mean I have to be in costume?" Gads, she had zero desire to play dress-up, especially for work.

Maddox nodded. "It's expected, yes."

Her shoulders slumped. "There's no way I can just wear my security uniform with a mask?" That would suit her so much better than anything else.

Maddox chuckled. "Uh, no, I don't think so." He leaned back in his seat, his head tilted to one side. "Leave your costume to me. I'm certain I can find something appropriate."

Juna narrowed her eyes, but inclined her head. She truly hoped they defined the word appropriate in the same way. But she'd leave the choice in his hands because she wouldn't have time to mess about with finding a costume.

I'm having a lot of fun writing this series of novellas. Maddox and Juna start the whole show and they play a role in each of the other books. They're a fun couple to write.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment