Sunday, August 28, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Yelling in Vain

Whew. Finally recovered from our vacation and I'm back to work with multiple projects and a possible new venture in the near future. I'm super excited about it but still need to nail down some details and make some decisions on the setup.

As mentioned, I'm doing two weeks of catch-up on the life update and television viewing. While gone, I didn't watch a lot but I did get some screen time in.

I caught two more episodes of Strangest Things. I quite enjoy the approach the show takes in trying to solve the mystery of odd artifacts.

Started The Book of Boba Fett and watched two episodes. So far, I like what I'm seeing. It's a little hoppy with the back and forth of the timeline, but I'm following that without too much trouble.

I also started Only Murders in the Building and loved the first episode. I'm excited to see where the show goes.

Watched another MasterClass lesson with Roxane Gay. She did a writer's workshop and discussed finding common ground. Very interesting stuff with this lesson and I enjoyed.

Sobbed during the Babysitter's Club episode. I think I only have one left and I'm very sad there aren't going to be more. This is such a good show.

Finally had a chance to watch the Frankie Drake Mysteries special, "Music at Midnight" and I'm so glad I got to see it. This is another show I'm sad won't be coming back.

Caught another episode of The Ready Room. This one featured Michelle Paradise and recapped the penultimate episode of season two. Really fun interview.

I finished season three of Driven and loved the finale. I'm so glad Passionflix is starting a new series. They've done a great job so far.

Watched another episode of Chicago Med. I'm not sure but this might be my last season of the show. I enjoy it, but I might take a bit of a break.

Enjoyed another episode of Batman: The Animated Series. I love how the first season kind of explored a lot of different villains and they weren't always the big bads we've come to know and love.

Caught another episode of Ted Lasso. I'm three episodes in and I'm enjoying the show. It's a tiny bit campy and I like that aspect.

Watched another episode of The Agatha Christie Hour. Very interesting conflict in this one and fun to see an uber-young John Nettles as one of the stars.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness. I actually have no idea where this one is going and I kind of like that. I do suspect the old and new cases will converge in a nasty way. Per usual.

Began a new Classic Who arc. For some reason the Psychic Circus is sticking out in my mind but I don't think I've actually seen these episodes. I'll know more next week.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Yelling in Vain, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

After an accident that takes the life of a fellow cadet, Lora Seaves falls back on her combative attitude to keep it together. Jestin Warbly has to decide whether or not Lora is cracking up or okay to fly. He's got one big problem … a powerful attraction for the rookie pilot clouds his judgment.

And a sneaky peek…

Lora faced her CO, colonel Mick Jenson. "What do you mean, I'm grounded?" This had never happened before. "Finals are two weeks from now. Can't I at least take the qualification test so I don't miss graduation?" What the hell is going on? This is unprecedented.

Jenson shifted in his seat and sent a glance at each man sitting on either side of him. Both shook their heads. Her CO sighed and motioned for both to lean in for a whispered conference. Terse words were exchanged and Lora didn't understand why the other two were so standoffish.

She couldn't have prevented the fatal accident. Did they blame her? An irrational shot of anger swelled in her throat.

When the trio finished, the elder of the two—Brandt, based on the name patch—got up and left.

Lora's gaze tracked his exit.

The younger—Collins—rose and cleared his throat. "Cadet Seaves, this particular set of circumstances has never occurred before. We've had crashes, yes. Even loss of life. But never in the way it happened when you and Cadet German were in the black." He paused. "Until a thorough investigation can be completed, we're not taking any chances." He puffed his chest out. "To that end, our decision is final. You won't fly until we're certain we've got all the answers." He strode out, leaving Lora with her CO.

Jenson frowned. "Look, Seaves, my hands are tied here. Try to sit tight and I'll let you know the next step … when I find out what it is." He scrubbed a hand over his face.

He acted like he wanted to say more but couldn't. But why? She didn't like this situation one damned but.

She gave a quick nod. "Yes, sir." Intellectually, she got the reasons for the decision, but her gut quivered with trepidation.

Could they really blame her? She had no idea. Could she do anything if they tried?

With a small sigh, she asked the most important question burning through her mind. "Will I be able to graduate at all?" She'd worked hard to be in the top percentage of the class.

Jenson didn't mince words. "If you're cleared for flight, you can take the final qualification." He hesitated a brief moment. "But you won't be able to graduate with your class. I'm sorry." His tone took on a weary note.

Lora kept her head held high when she exited the room. Only after she got halfway down the corridor did her shoulders slump and her eyes fill. She paused, putting a hand on the wall.

Taking a deep breath, she blinked the tears away. "What am I going to do now?"

Whatever happened, whatever they tried to stick on her regarding her classmate's death, she wouldn't go down without some kind of fight.

I finally have a handle on where I want things to go with this story. Lora is definitely going to have a big battle and it'll be on multiple fronts.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment