Sunday, September 25, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Zinging Barbs

I'm not quite sure where the month of September went but it's almost over. The weather in Ohio is currently fall-like. Not sure how long that will last. I could actually get behind having it stick around for a while.

Pretty decent week of viewing. I'm back on my usual schedule for the most part. I'll be starting a new show on one of my streamers, but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it or give up that slot for now.

Watched another episode of Ted Lasso. Gotta say, I definitely see the appeal and how so many people have utter undying love for the show. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Caught another episode of the Agatha Christie Hour. I loved the twists and turns in this one. Good intrigue without being a full-blown mystery.

Enjoyed the first part of Silent Witness. There's a good mysterious vibe in this two-parter and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out this week.

Started season twenty-six of Classic Who and loved seeing the colonel back again. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Watched another Strangest Things episode and learned about desert glass. Well worth the view for that alone.

Caught an episode of The Book of Boba Fett. Geez, a lot happened and I'm still trying to process everything. Definitely need to catch up on season two of The Mandalorian to fill in the missing blanks. Looking forward to doing that.

Only Murders in the Building is such a terrific show. The pacing is excellent and the reveals are pretty much perfect. Hat tip to all involved in the writing and acting.

Enjoyed another episode of Blue Heelers and it actually ended up breaking my heart a little. One of the scenes hit a little too close for comfort involving a pet that had to be put to sleep.

Caught another MasterClass lesson with Roxane Gay. She discussed finding an agent and what to pay attention to when dealing with contracts.

Watched another Umbrella Academy episode. I'm definitely getting hooked on this one. I love the characters and how they interact with each other and outsiders. Klaus is a wicked-fun gem. Also nice to see Luther before his transformation. Felt horrible for Diego and my heart really goes out to Vanya. Loved the scene with Allison, though. Great stuff.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. Two of my favorites were in this bunch. Anytime Angelica is foiled by Susie is worth the watch.

Also caught another episode of Batman: The Animated Series. This ended up being a good one. I like the episodes when there isn't a major villain from the rogue gallery for Batman to deal with.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Zinging Barbs, a sexy short that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Reagan Bruce won't slow down, not even when she's seven months pregnant and Ian Flannigan decides to walk away from competing to keep Reagan healthy. The couple exchanges some zinging barbs until they work out their issues.

And a sneaky peek…

Ian took his anger, worry, and frustration out on the punching bag, glad he had the gym to himself. "How do I get her to see reason?" He wouldn't do what she did to him—push every button he had until he finally pushed back.

He jabbed the bag. "She made me lose control and follow my instincts." And now he had a shot at being a champion racer for the Skye Dawgs.

Maybe he should take his concern to the Bruce. No. Reagan's dad ran the Dawgs but he'd never, ever been able to run her.

He added a kick to the heavy bag. "I don't want to risk losing her." The sked races were notoriously dangerous and Reagan wouldn't be confined to the spectator area.

Why the hell did he get tangled up with her?

Punch, punch, kick. "Because I love her, dammit." Even when she pissed him off so much he couldn't be near her.

The door to the training room creaked open but he didn't stop his workout. No doubt, Reagan had tracked him down.

She paused by the row of lockers. "Wish that was my face?" Her hand rubbed over her stomach.

He still didn't stop. "Nope." He wished he could explain how much he loved her and wanted her to listen to the doctor.

Reagan slowly walked around the perimeter of the gym, her other hand massaging the small of her back. "You know, I've always loved watching you spar."

He kept pounding the bag, unwilling to engage right now. He still had too much anger to work through.

Reagan didn't let his silence deter her. "The play of muscle, the sound of your gloves connecting with their object, the rhythm of your feet on the floor." She sighed. "Poetry in motion, Ian." She waited a beat. "And it makes me so damn hot for you I can't stand it." She stopped behind him.

He stopped, turned, and stared. Is she serious right now?

She shrugged. "I know, right? But I knew I was a goner when I first watched you in the ring with my dad." She moved closer. "And I'm still a goner now." She sent him a wry smile. "A crazy, hormonal, utterly in love with you goner."

This little peek into how Reagan and Ian deal with a disagreement is so much fun to write. The novella that gets them together begged for a bit of a follow-up.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment