Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Differences Settled

We had a crazy week of weather. Rain, rain, rain, followed by wind, wind, wind. Lost power for a couple of hours and returned some of the neighbor's stuff that ended up in our backyard. Something tells me we're going to pay for a fairly mild winter with a chaotic and wild spring. Can't wait.

Good week on work projects and I finally made headway with clearing out my inbox on my old PC and I'm starting the transfer of files to my new computer. I can't wait to get this project done so I can go back to having one desktop instead of two in my workspace. Up next, tackling my laptop to see if I can get the graphics card to function again. Or, the issue could be related to a Windows update. Either way, I'm hoping I won't have to invest in a new laptop. Fingers crossed.

Not a bad week of television viewing. I didn't get quite as much watched as I did last week, but I got a few shows in.

I finished up the Classic Who episode I started last weekend and I'm kind of interested in how this one plays out. Hoping to get to the next part this week.

Watched the season twenty-one opener of Silent Witness. Nice to see some fallout from Nikki's Mexico trip. Jack is a little off and I'm curious to find out why. Love to see Clarissa out in the field because she's become a favorite character and shouldn't always be relegated to the lab.

Enjoyed another episode of Strangest Things. The items they discuss are always interesting and I love the speculative aspect when they really don't know exactly what they have.

Caught another episode of The Mandalorian. Bo Katan's introduction piqued my interest. I like how a different sect of Mandalorians are out there giving a different perspective.

Watched another episode of Only Murders in the Building. Thoroughly enjoyed discovering the building has secret passageways and tunnels. Loved the introduction of Lucy. I haven't changed my theory quite yet on who the killer might be, but we'll see what happens. Also nice to see Oliver show up for his son. Much needed character growth there.

Got to return to my Battlestar Galactica rewatch this week. While the episode doesn't rank as one of my favorites from season one, it's still a solid watch. Frankly, season one doesn't have a bad episode. It's probably the best first season of television I've watched.

Enjoyed another episode of Pennyworth. A few unexpected twists turned up and I'm here for those. I'm quite enjoying the slow discovery of how Alfred became Batman's butler. There's not a wasted moment on the screen.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Differences Settled, a novella that puts the characters in a tenuous situation and gives them the opportunity to see what their relationship can be.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Regan Tiedt and Finn O'Kellen are transferred to a new ship under difficult circumstances and find they have to settle quite a few differences with their new crew mates … and their commanding officer.

And a sneaky peek…

Leaving the quartermaster's office, Regan compared her berth assignment with Finn. "We're in the same bunkroom. That works to our advantage." If they didn't have to find places or reasons to meet, they'd get more done.

Finn gave a nod but waited until they entered their quarters before making a comment. "And we've got the bunk area to ourselves. Wonder if Craig did that by design? You know, keep us isolated from her crew until she has a read on us…" He dumped his rucksack on one of the racks. "Not that I mind not having four other people to trip over."

Regan cocked her head. "Huh. You might have a point. With the whole competition thing, it makes sense she'd keep us out of the thick of everything until she decides where we'll fit best." Which shouldn't really be her purview.

Finn snorted. "Or where we can do the most damage to the norms." He yanked a locker open and started unpacking.

Regan dropped her bag to the deck and settled on the edge of the berth opposite Finn's. "Huh, yeah. Once she gets a feel for our skill sets, she can drop us in wherever she wants to rattle cages." Not exactly standard operating procedure.  

Finn grunted. "Been thinking about how to approach this whole thing. After meeting with Craig, I've got an idea that should get us headed in the right direction." He closed the locker and sat across from her. "One of us should move up the food chain quickly and the other should screw up a lot and get left behind." He stood again and unfolded his bed linens.

Regan turned the idea over. "Who does what?" She got up and started unpacking.

Finn paused, holding a pillow in one hand. "You've got more flash and flair. You should be the mover and shaker." He slid the case over the fluffy square and dropped it on the bunk.

Regan did a slow nod. "Okay. What will you really be doing when I'm burning up the chart to the top?" And, no doubt, stepping on toes with her size eight boots.

Finn gave her a point-blank stare. "Snooping around and gathering intel."

He did have an uncanny ability to get people to open up, usually by keeping his mouth shut and his ears open. But he flew like a dream and his numbers couldn't lie. The data wouldn't support Finn being a fuck-up.

Regan lifted a shoulder. "Not sure it'll work. Your record speaks for itself." She started making up her bunk. "You'll never pull off being a screw up or that you lack skills." Then again, she'd be worse at even attempting the idea.

Finn hand-waved the objection. "Okay, so maybe I'm not a complete screw-up. More floundering in a new situation and struggling to keep up." He settled on the bunk again. "But if you quickly fall in and keep the focus on you, it'll give me the freedom to work behind the scenes."

Regan pondered. "Okay, let's see what happens." She finished getting her rack in order and closed her locker. "We should hit the mess and start putting the plan in action." Crossing the deck, she undogged the hatch.

Finn grabbed her arm. "Reg, you're gonna push a lot of buttons. Piss off a lot of people."

She nodded. "Yeah, a skill I've developed over the years. Comes in handy sometimes." Especially when they needed to bring a pilot in line—she almost always played queen bitch to Finn's affable buddy.

Finn held her gaze. "The difference here is no one knows you on this ship but me." His hand slid down to grasp hers. "I've got your back."

Her lips curved, because she'd never doubted that fact. "Figured you would." She squeezed his fingers then exited into the corridor.

If she could count on one thing, Finn would be it.

This one has been a lot of fun to write. I enjoy the fish out of water scenario and bit of a slow burn attraction that might just heat up fast.


That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment