Sunday, April 2, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Dodging Reality

An interesting start to April with howling winds and a kaleidoscope of weather. We got a mix of pretty much everything. Rain, flurries, high wind advisory, and temperatures all over the place.

Solid week of editing. I have three projects that are moving forward at a great pace. I'm looking forward to getting these completed.

Had a decent week of television. I'm not quite back to my full rotation but I've been writing a lot more and that's not a bad thing.

Caught another episode of Wednesday. I love the lore and world building in this show. Didn't know if I'd like having Wednesday at the center of a prophecy but I like where things are going at the moment.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. Always fun to catch a couple that don't always make the rotation of encores.

Enjoyed the finale of Midsomer Murders. I kind of miss when they did six to eight episodes per season, but the four we have this time around are all excellent.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with "Six Degress of Separation." This episode has so many great one-liners with two coming from Doc Cottle. Seriously, it's hard to top the writing and acting in this show.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice and it ended up being a bit of a doozy. I think I have five episodes left of this series and a lot is supposed to happen. Not sure I'm quite ready for it.

Watched another episode of Classic Who. I'm nearing the end of this season and I'm not sure where things are going with this arc, but I'm excited to find out.

Started the second half of Silent Witness. Nikki just can't catch a break. I'm quite interested in finding out where the twists are leading. Update next week on this.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Dodging Reality, a novella that brings reality television to the front lines of a war.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Take a reality show set on the front lines in space, add a brash reporter who wants the down and dirty secrets of the crew—and will stop at nothing to get them—and mix it up with a couple fighting their attraction while protecting their pilots from the ratings hound. Stir in a little backstabbing from the cameraman and the outcome is Dodging Reality.

And a sneaky peek…

Caro ducked into the office to find Vic scribbling notes in a file. "Is that the incident report for Jazz?"

Vic glanced up. "Yeah. Adding some notes after talking to the doc. She's out for at least two flight rotations, probably more." He went back to writing.

Caro crossed the deck to her side of the desk. "You stopped to see her then?" She should head to sickbay but didn't trust herself not to make things worse.

Vic grunted. "Yeah, figured you should keep your distance for a bit. Got the rundown from Doc Mantle." He paused a moment. "You need to know he let Presley speak with Jazinksi, but he only gave the woman five minutes." He met Caro's gaze. "No idea what Jazinski said. So be prepared for anything."

Caro dropped the after-action report in Vic's inbox. "Well, you sure made nice with Ms. Ten Inch Heels. Guess I'm not surprised Mantle did, too." She propped her hip on the edge of his desk.

Vic looked up with a grimace. "Yeah, well, he didn't have a choice. Sickbay isn't off limits. And it's not so much making nice as it is biding time. Honestly … she scares me." He tossed his pen on the open file in front of him.

Caro raised both brows. "For real? Why?" She couldn't wait to hear the answer.

Vic leaned back and pondered a moment. "She's all polish and shine on the outside." He looked at Caro. "Makes a spiffy, pretty picture."

Caro prodded. "And?"

Vic shrugged. "Eh. I don't trust it or her. The razor-sharp talons and acid tongue will eventually put in an appearance."

Caro gave a deep, affirming nod. "Ah. And you don't relish the surprise attack."

He agreed. "Nope. She'd be better off like you. I can see your claws coming from a mile away." He winked. "I like that. Know what to expect."

Caro rose. "Careful, Major. Someone might get shredded with my claws before that woman leaves."

Vic chuckled. "Now the surprise of that … I'll look forward to."

Caro laughed. "I'm hitting the gym. Maybe I'll put a likeness of Ms. Priss on the punching bag."

Vic shook his head. "Go on. Get out of here and enjoy the downtime." He lifted his chin. "You won't get much after today."

Caro gave him a mock salute and exited the office.

I think I'm close to having this one completed. I have the scenes mapped out and need to tie some threads together. Fingers crossed I can release this in the next several months.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment