Sunday, April 9, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Domestic Partners

Happy spring holidays for those who celebrate. We're having a nice, quiet weekend with excellent weather for once.

Long work week but I got a lot accomplished. Should have one of my projects finished up this week and another ready to move on to the next phase. The third is in a holding pattern for now and we'll pick that one back up in about two weeks.

Had an okay week of watching television. I've also been working on the great clean out project again and that limited some of my viewing time.

I started out with Strangest Things. This show always entertains me with the wild and weird stuff they feature. The psychograph shed some light on at least one X-Files storyline for me.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with "Flesh and Bone." The reintroduction of the Leoben character is an excellent watch, even if I completely dislike that particular model of cylon. The acting is terrific in this episode.

Caught another episode of The Mandalorian. Nice to see the big bad from last season is still a big bad. Always great to see Carl Weathers. Loved Grogu's antics in this one. Can't wait to watch the next episode.

Watched another episode of Only Murders in the Building. Loved seeing the fan crew again. Not sure how I feel about bringing Jan back into the story but I'm thoroughly enjoying the new wrinkle with Oliver and Teddy. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Domestic Partners, a novella where the characters are reunited—after a breakup—under unfortunate circumstances.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tabby and Hale pretend to be domestic partners to keep the man who killed her husband from getting his hands on her. But when they're forced to live together, sparks and tempers fly, because Tabby broke a promise she made to Hale and he's not going to let her forget it.

And a sneaky peek…

She really didn't deserve his help, but he couldn't shake the horrible vibe he got from Lawrence.

Hale shrugged. "Quite true, but it's not actually about you." He moved to sit beside her on the floor. "There's something going on here. I'm stuck in limbo because the explorer team left two days before I got here." With no advance notice, which reeked of something rank and foul. "My transport left on time. My arrival date was scheduled well in advance. Why didn't they wait?" The weird timing pinged in his brain on long shifts.

Tabby paused her stitching. "Hm. That's a great question." She went back to sewing the tear in the canvas.

Hale lifted his chin. "I aim to find the answer, which means some hard questions about you and Sam." He braced for impact.

Tabby narrowed her gaze, her shoulders tensing. "Why? My relationship with him is none of your business." She jabbed the needle in his direction.

Hale sighed. "Nothing about your personal life. Unless it has something to do with why Sam was killed." He had zero desire to dig into anything to do with their marriage.

Tabby finished sewing the tent before she spoke again. "I still want to know why you're willing to help." Setting her supplies aside, she met his gaze.

Finding Sam's killer would clear her name, but she wouldn't believe he cared about that. Yet he did … even if he shouldn't. And he wouldn't be examining the reason anytime soon.

He rolled a shoulder. "Look, I'm convinced Sam's death is all tied into what's really going on. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less." If he moved in and spent time with her, maybe he'd eventually believe those words.

Tabby gave him a long look. "As long as we've got that straight." She got to her feet. "It'll take three days to process the paperwork for the change in living station." Heading for the door, she pushed it open, indicating they were done.

Hale stood up and gave her a nod. "I'll file the request before my shift." He paused on his way out. "Sleep well." Not waiting for a response, he left and headed for the dorms and a sleepless night.

This story did some meandering before the pieces finally started falling in place. Tabby and Hale definitely have some issues to work through.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment