Sunday, July 23, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Good for the Soul

Still chugging along on various work projects, but I'm at the in-between stages on a few. I like having some free time to focus on writing.

Not a bad week for viewing television. I had to create a workaround for one of the shows I watch, but I'm happy I managed to remember how to set things up.

Caught another episode of Fantasy Island and, wow, I love the unexpected surprise. I'm cautiously optimistic the reveal won't trash things between Elena and Rafael. I'm not holding my breath though. One of the writers is known to mess things up to ramp up the angst factor.

Watched another episode of Strangest Things. I'm always interested in the ancient things they review, but I'm also fascinated by the crazy contraptions featured.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Rugrats. The puns and play on words are always fun. One of the greatest things about this show is the appeal to all age groups.

I finally finished the Passionflix original, Resisting Roots. I ended up really liking this one. It's not quite as steamy as some of the other movies, but I'm okay with that.

Caught another episode of Madame Blanc Mysteries. Enjoyed this one. Very glad Dom is back in good form.

Watched another episode of Cannes Confidential. I love this show! Camille and Harry are fun, and the underlying, sinister vibe is present but also subtle. Such a great show.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. This week we did a double header of "Resurrection Ship Part One and Two". The next few episodes are solid, but the show stumbles a little leading up to the season two finale. Too many threads that needed some loving care got dropped.

I also started another episode of Peak Practice and need to finish that one up later tonight.

That's it for this week's life update. Tonight's post is from Good for the Soul, a novella that explores how a character tries to hold himself accountable and struggles when he can't.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Dex Thurgood has ideals he upholds and wants to keep it that way. But when he's forced to confront a sinister underground trade leader, he has to face his darker nature to bust up the extortion racket, which won't be easy because Ramsey Markum knows one of Dex's deeply buried secrets. Lana Denman steps up to help Dex deal with the fallout of not being perfect.

And a sneaky peek…

Hate him? Not in this lifetime.

Sighing softly, Lana replied. “Confession’s not about making people hate you, Dex.” How could she explain this to him? “It’s about catharsis. So you can live with the wrong you’ve done.” Tilting her head, she gave him a moment to absorb what she said. “Did you hate me when I told you about Mac? Did you walk away?” She sat up and drew her feet under her legs crossways.

She had him there … he didn’t hate her for Mac … but she’d made her confession on the day their world ended … slightly different. But then again, not really. And, okay, he had walked away … well … technically ejected … but he always took time and space to process things.

When he opened his mouth to argue, she shook her head. “You’ve never let me down.”

Dex looked away from her. “I wasn’t there for you.”

He cringed at the unpleasant sound she made at that statement.

She rolled her eyes. “Turns out you didn’t have to be. The chancellor called off the mission, remember?” Leaning forward, she pinned him with her gaze. “You’re willing to screw your personal ethics, leave 'em behind and that’s not enough? I’m supposed to be pissed you almost died and weren’t there? God, Dex.” She leaned back in frustration, letting her eyes drop to her lap.

“Lana, I—" He stopped.

Yeah, he what? Had no idea what to say? Why did he always make things so hard?

Confusion marred his features … and, damn if she didn't know exactly what he felt like. It sucked when life kicked someone in the teeth … made them lose hope … hell it made a person lose who they were sometimes. She'd been there, more than a few times, but not Dex. He didn't have the benefit of being comfortable with one foot on the edge of right and wrong and the other somewhere deep in the muck.

Scrambling across the bed, she crawled over his legs and settled down on his lap.

Grabbing his hands in hers, she tried explaining it. “Look, Dex. I get it. I really do.” She waited until she had his eyes before going on. “We all have shit we drag around. Mistakes. Screw-ups. Crap we’re not proud of.” Her lips quirked up, but she quickly got serious again. “It’s easy to do the right thing … what’s hard, really hard, is living with the wrong. Do you get that?” Again, she waited … holding his gaze before letting go and moving her hands up to cup his face. “Tell me you get that now.”

He gave a slow nod. "I think maybe I do."

She rested her forehead against his. "Finally."

Lana is a fun character. She's not into seeing only black and white. Her world is filled with shades of gray.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment