Sunday, February 18, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Midsummer Mayhem (Capital City Seasons)

It's been a rough week where my brain wants to do anything but focus on work. We also got eight inches of snow on Friday and the temps dropped way down again. My sinuses are not happy at the moment.

Not a bad week of viewing television. The whole distraction thing kind of kept me from getting a full slate watched. I did get through most of my normal shows.

I started out with My Life Is Murder. I kind of like the new assistant but I'm wondering what's going on the Maddie. I also love seeing actors from other shows pop up on this one. I didn't realize how much Australian and New Zealand shows I've been watching.

Caught another episode of Agatha Raisin and finished up the two-parter. Kind of wigged out that James is getting married to someone else. But I loved the interactions in this one.

Continued the eight-part, I think, Silent Witness. This season is very intriguing with a lot of twists and turns. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.

Enjoyed another episode of Death in Paradise and didn't remember seeing any of this one. Happy to have it in the watched pile.

Watched another episode of Elementary. The introduction of Moriarity is something I've looked forward to. Not sure how I feel about Joan lying to Sherlock, but I'll reserve judgment until I see how it rolls on screen.

Caught another episode of The Batman. Enjoyed seeing Scarface again. Also liked peeling back the layers of Hugo Strange. He's an intriguing character.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Rugrats. I don't remember either of them from the original run and liked both. Such a fun show.

Also watched another episode of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. Very interesting twist with Maggie coming back. I can definitely see how the books this series is based on would captivate readers. I do think there's a little loss of translation from the page to screen, but I really love this series a lot.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Midsummer Mayhem, a novella in the Capital City Seasons series.

Here's the miniblurb:

Chris Renfer, alpha team leader for the strategic tactical unit, falls for Melanie Pramble at first sight, but she's new to the city and wants to get her bearings. But when Renfer's team is stuck in a bad situation, Melanie is the go-to person for negotiation and Chris can only hope their beginning doesn't end before it makes headway.

And a sneaky peek…

Chris knocked on Jess and Murph's door two minutes before seven. "What the hell am I doing here?" He didn't really want to unload his personal issues on two of his closest friends.

Jess greeted Chris with a sheepish smile. "Come on in. Slight change in plan…" She led him into the entry space. "We're still having drinks, but we've got company." She nodded toward the living room.

Chris held up a hand. "Look, no problem. We can reschedule." He'd take the unexpected out and thank the universe.

Jess shook her head. "Uh-uh. Stick around." She led him into the living area.

Murph glanced away from his conversation and lifted his chin. "Chris. Glad you could make it." He thrust his palm forward.

Chris shook hands then got a glimpse of their additional guest. A gorgeous woman turned and flashed a very brief smile. Chris sucked in a harsh breath but recovered and grinned.

Ben made the introductions. "Chris, this is Melanie Pramble. She's hopefully going to be joining Margo and Graham as a new partner." He slid his gaze toward Melanie. "No pressure, of course."

New partner? As in she might be sticking around? Chris sincerely hoped so.

He automatically put his hand out. "That's great. Welcome to Capital City."

Melanie clasped his palm. "Oh, I'm not staying. Yet. I'm headed back to New Boniface first thing in the morning." Her voice betrayed her doubt about signing on with Ben's team.

Chris cocked his head. "Lovely area. I can understand your reluctance to leave." But he'd be the first to hope she decided to do so.

Jess stepped in. "Melanie missed her transport out of town so she's staying at one of Angus's apartments. We're waiting on the keys, which Angus is having sent over." She looped her hand around Chris's elbow. "Why don't we get you something to drink?" Guiding him toward the kitchen, she leaned in a little close. "Really sorry about this mix-up. Murph will take Melanie over to the apartment then you and I can talk." She headed to the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of ale.

Chris took another look in the living room and decided his restless itch had met its match in Melanie Pramble.

He took the bottle from Jess and tugged her off to the side. "Yeah, about that? My deal earlier? Might not be as bad as I thought."

He glanced toward Melanie again. He couldn't seem to stop looking at her. Yep. Things definitely looked up.

Jess followed his gaze and shook her head. "Chris, my man, you better not mess this up for Murph. She hasn't said yes to the offer, yet." She frowned. "She's got some reservations."

Chris tsked. "Why not? Seems like she'd be a great fit." Not that he would know, considering he'd met her five minutes ago.

Jess lifted a shoulder. "Full disclosure? She's worried things will be awkward. She met Ben when we were split, and they almost hooked up." She met Chris's gaze. "So, don't scare her away. Murph really wants her to join the team."

Chris narrowed his eyes. "I don't care if they almost hooked up. Are you okay with him possibly working with her?"

Jess's lips quirked. "Honestly? I have no idea. But I'll use Ben and Jim as a guidepost. If they got past any weird vibes, I'm confident Melanie and I can do the same."

Chris flicked his gaze toward the living room again. "Here's hoping."

I have a lot of love for this story. Chris is one of my favorite characters from the first book.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment