Sunday, February 4, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Manifest Legend

Well, the shortest month is off to a banger start. I had a full slate of projects and managed to get through two before their deadlines. The other two aren't due until midweek, and I have two more starting this week. I'm so excited to have a full calendar!

Had a semi-solid week of viewing. Made it most of the way through my current round of shows and I'm hoping to continue the same this week. We'll see if the workload allows for it.

Started off with a My Life Is Murder behind the scenes interview with Lucy Lawless. Ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Should be ready to start season three this week.

Finished up the two-part Agatha Raisin. Somewhat disappointed with how the storyline played out with James and Agatha. But also really enjoyed the mystery. I love the reveals from Sarah's past and Bill and Toni better stay together or I'm going to lose my mind.

Caught the second half of Silent Witness and I'm rather happy my fear did not come to light and the grad student didn't drug Nikki's drink. I also love that she basically said, yeah, no thanks to him. I would not mind if Nikki and Jack took their shot. We'll see how that goes.

Watched another episode of Death in Paradise. I really don't remember any of this one, so it was nice to have no expectations going in. Actually enjoyed the mystery unfold.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. Very fun watching Sherlock interact with Joan's family and the way her mom kind of planted the seed for Joan to stick around and work with Sherlock.

Caught another episode of The Batman. I remember watching this the first time around, but I guess I was thinking Batgirl didn't show up until season three. So wrong on that count.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. Again, these were two vignettes that I didn't remember, so it was nice to have new to me stuff to watch.

I'm enjoying the second season of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. Episode two had some good reveals and I'm kind of excited to see where things go in the next one.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice. I'm really, really not interested in the whole Andrew and Kate saga. The ex-husband is a total dick and Andrew is a blockhead if he can't figure out Richard is behind everything. Will be skipping the next episode and moving on to Will's return.

Didn't have time for my Battlestar Galactica rewatch this week and I skipped VIP because I wanted to get Peak Practice in. I'll try to pick up with those if time allows.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Manifest Legend, a prequel setup for the Insula Ara ~ Sanctuary Island universe.

Here's the miniblurb:

Insula Ara is a mystical island offering sanctuary to those in need, but when she reveals herself for the first time, Cedric Edward Teasdale, former crewman of a privateer, almost blows his chance for refuge … and a reunion with his lost love.

And a sneaky peek…

A warm hand smoothed the side of Ceet's face, and he turned over in his sleep. "Dammit, Emaline, ye haunt me even in my dreams."

Feminine laughter filled his ears. "Well, Cedric, you deserve no less. Leavin' me the ye did. But I'm not ahauntin' you, ye daft man. I'm sitting right beside you." A sharp pinch on his bicep followed the statement.

Ceet bolted upright and scrambled to the edge of the bed. "Emaline? What? How?" He blinked and shook his head. "This can't be possible." Or could it…

He reached under the pillow and retrieved the compass. Did you bring my love back to me? The device grew warm under his palm.

Ceet threw the covers back and slid to the edge of the bed. "Emaline Gruder, I've missed ye, I have." His hands cupped her face. "And I love you." His vision grew misty, and his head dropped.

Emaline threw her arms around him. "And I you, Cedric." She eased back. "And if I understand how this is supposed to work, we'll have all the time we ever wanted to be together." She hugged him close again.

Ceet wrapped his arms around her. "Ah, Emaline. I surely hope so. I surely do." He shifted his position and patted the bed then tugged Emaline down beside him. "This island, Sanctuary is her name, is wonderous and full of marvels you've never imagined." His gaze went to the rafters of the room. "She can create buildings, like this here abode. And she made a barn and provided animals for my use." He met Emaline's gaze. "But you have to be certain about what you want, my love. Once yer committed, you can't leave. At least that's how it works for me." And he didn't regret his choice … except for the loneliness.

Which seemed to be resolved.

Emaline placed her head on Ceet's shoulder. "My darling, Cedric. Why would I want to leave? I've wanted to spend my life with you for as long as I can remember. When I got ill and you didn't return, my heart broke." Her voice grew thick and heavy. "And then I was somewhere in between. Dead but not. Wavering but tethered because I didn't get a farewell from you." She clasped his hand. "Now I'm here and we can have a life together…" Her head angled so she could meet his gaze. "But it's a little different for me. When someone else needs the island, I'll have to go away. But I'll always return to you. Always." She straightened and glanced around the room. "And to my new sanctuary … Insula Ara."

Ceet hauled her close. "Then it's time to start our life together…" His mouth claimed hers and everything in his world turned bright and brilliant.

This one is almost complete and I'm excited to get it out there and maybe spark some interest in the Insula Ara universe.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment