Sunday, February 25, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Missing You

February kind of flew by, which isn't actually a big shock since it's a short month anyway. But, man, I kind of wish it went by a little slower. I'm always scrounging around for time and short months make me feel like there's less to be had.

Still had trouble focusing this week but I got a lot accomplished on my work projects despite my distraction. Luckily, I have more than one project going so I can hop around when I start to lose my concentration.

Had an okay week of viewing. I have to figure out what's going on with one of my streamers. That could take another week. But I did get through most of my usual shows.

Started with My Life Is Murder and actually got two episodes watched. I like the pickup with Alexa's brother again. I wondered if we'd see him this season. Also enjoyed both cases Alexa had to solve.

Watched the first part of Agatha Raisin. Poor James. I can't wait to find out who offed his bride. I love the interaction between all the characters, but I'm sad Roy isn't in this one. At least not yet.

Caught another episode of Silent Witness. Kind of enjoyed having another case mixed in with the ongoing saga of Sam Ryan. I'm really not sure what's going on with her and I'm not going to be super surprised if she ends up being in the clear. Also loved Nikki and Jack's date. Nice to get some backstory with Simone, too.

Enjoyed an episode of Death in Paradise. I remember bits of this one and I'm glad I got to see the whole thing from start to finish. Not a bad opening for season six.

Watched another episode of Elementary. I liked seeing Sherlock realize he'd way overstepped with the NYPD. Also loved having the captain kind of take some of his dignity back.

Caught another episode of The Batman. I'm not as fond of this season and I remember feeling this way when I watched originally. The new format grew on me, and I'll settle back in and enjoy, but I really loved the first season of this show the most.

Enjoyed the penultimate episode of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. Everything is coming to a head, and I can't wait to see how this ends.

Also rewatched the Battlestar Galactica resistance webisodes. Groundbreaking at the time, there's a lot of story packed into ten mini-episodes. And twenty years later, I'm still stunned at how prescient the writers were for what's going on in the world today.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Missing You, a novella that brings a couple together after a lot of ups and downs.

Here's the miniblurb:

Clara Small, the best undercover operative in military intelligence, tends to burn bridges instead of building them. But when she destroys the one she needs the most, she has to find a way to make amends, which won't be easy because Wes Elliot rarely gives second chances.

And a sneaky peek…

Ah damn, I'm tired.

Too tired.

Clara tossed over from her stomach to her side. She and Xen met up with a resistance group just outside of Delphinia and, luckily for them, got invited to crash for a while at their base of operations in the former hospital.

Basic needs … food, water, and, oh yeah … a shower, met, Clara just wanted to sleep and not wake up for a week.

Except she couldn't sleep.

Damn it all to hell.

She rolled to her back and stared at the ceiling.

Why wouldn't her brain shut the hell up? Not even a tri-net game with a hot guy—who cared if he looked an awful lot like Wes—or her usual chin-ups seemed to break through the tension.

Oooo-kay. Run it down then.

She jumped back here … Deimos … under need-to-know orders … for what? Some epic deep cover mission to infiltrate the enemy camp only to get her ass kicked by some raven-haired amazon before she'd barely even left her ship.  

Geez … she still had aches from that little set down.

But Clara had the last laugh. She walked away … Richter—1, Raven Bitch—0.

And Xen. Thank the universe for Xen. She hadn't expected an ally, but she got one. Thank the universe he hadn't been killed in action as reported. They needed everyone they could find on their side.

At least she hoped she had an ally. Xen had been hooked up with Sharee, a possible enemy agent or maybe just someone who played both sides to their own benefit. When the other woman ripped off Clara's ride, Sharee didn't leave Xen with much of a choice but to throw in with Clara.

Her gain. Sharee's loss.

So … why did she feel like shit?

Because I fucked everything up again. She didn't like how things were left with Wes. Which explained her edgy, jumbled-up feeling that wouldn't let her sleep.

Clara's in a deep, dark place, and when she finally realizes Wes is the light at the end of her tunnel, things get really interesting.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment