Sunday, August 9, 2026

Founder's Day Flames (a Capital City Seasons novella)

Had a fun time at my high school reunion on Saturday … even though it was very hot and super humid. Got to see people I haven't seen in absolute ages. So nice to catch up with everyone.

Weather has been a little wild. Big temperature swings again. We've also had some rumbling thunderstorms with interesting lightning. We're supposed to have a very rainy week with more storms rolling through so that should be fun.

Had a busy work week with a few projects coming in for final touches and should be getting close to the finish line. Made more progress on the developmental edit I've been working on and might be close to finishing that one up also. Finished up a proofread and started a new copy edit. Not a bad week.

Made it through my usual slate of shows so had a good viewing week also. I even got to finish up one of my backburner shows. I'll be starting a new series this week and I'm looking forward to picking one out. I also did another Death in Paradise binge on Sunday.

Caught an episode of Marple and rather enjoyed the twists and turns. It was kind of fun to have the show set during the holiday season but not be overtly holidayish.

Finished up Ireland Coast and Country. Enjoyed the dip into some of the country's locations and remarkable scenery.

Started season four of Beyond Paradise. Fun episode setting up a big quandary for Humphrey. I'm kind of excited to see what hijinks Humph and Martha get into with renovating their new house. Very happy to be revisiting Shipton Abbot.

Caught another episode of Poirot and actually enjoyed seeing him in a very different setting. The mystery had some interesting twists and I liked that.

Elementary ended on a concerning note and I'm glad I can drop right into the next season without a long wait. Happy to have the Shinwell murder resolved, and I'm truly thrilled that Moriarty isn't the mystery woman, even though her identity makes me sad.

Watched another episode of Young Justice and enjoyed watching the team come together even when they were on the outs.

Finished up season four of Star Trek Lower Decks and, seriously, I'm going to miss this show so much. I loved everything about this finale … except one thing. Losing a team member sucked but at least there's a chance she'll return.

Also finished up an episode of Peak Practice. It ended up being a pretty good one but had a lot going on. So happy Tom finally owned his feelings!

That's the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Founder's Day Flames, a novella in the Capital City Seasons universe.

Here's the miniblurb:

An arsonist strikes Capital City, setting blazes, each more devastating than the last, on the lead up to the Founder's Day holiday, which falls on Beltane. Graham McClain is called on to analyze the firebug's actions and help get a handle on his next move. Fire captain Prima Alton reluctantly works closely with Graham and together they discover she plays a role in the culprit's twisted fantasies.

And a sneaky peek…

Graham slid his gaze toward the lovely woman walking next to him. Her almost military bearing actually kind of turned Graham on. Which … yeah … not what he came her for.
Get your mind on the job, dumbass.
She paused by a door marked with the words situation room. "I'm Prima Alton, by the way." She thrust her palm forward. "I can't say it's nice to meet you because you already know how I feel about you being here." Her gaze met his.
Graham's lips quirked. "Graham McClain, as you know. And there's nothing like total honesty. I'm actually a sucker for being in on the secret." He clasped her palm. "I appreciate knowing what I'm dealing with because it inevitably saves time." Following her into the situation room he couldn't hide his surprise. "This is amazing … er, do you prefer being addressed as Captain?" His gaze swept over the stacks of files up to the maps with pinpoints in each location of previous burns.
His counterpart made a stuttering step before she smoothly turned to face him. "I don't really have anything specific I like. Rank is fine or my name." Her gaze darted to the slowly closing door. "If we're going to be working closely, names are probably best." She focused back on him. "Um, unless you prefer to stay with professional titles." Her fingers flexed almost as if she fought the urge to make fists.
Graham lifted his chin. "You haven't quite decided if we're going to be working together close or otherwise yet. But I'm happy for first names." He walked over to the large map of Capital City hanging on the wall to give her a little space.
She'd flushed a plucky shade of pink when he called her out on how their relationship would or wouldn't go. He could read the room well enough to know she didn't want interference with her work. And he completely got why she wouldn't.
That said, he had a job to do and taking credit from her didn't have to be part of the task.
Prima cleared her throat. "I'm making the worst first impression and I don't know why it's bothering me." She moved to stand beside him. "But it is, and I'm sorry. This … you … kind of came unexpectedly and I don't always react well to surprises." Angling her head, she nodded toward the table. "If you're ready, we can get started on reviewing what I have so far."
Graham moved to the table and waited for Prima to pick a spot before he settled in. He liked that she took a place at the head of the table, leaving him to sit with everything facing him. He retrieved the first pile of folders and opened the top one.
Prima sat quietly, while he skimmed through the information. Occasionally, he had questions about data and she responded with clear, concise answers. He found a kindred spirit in the notes and files.
Graham finished reviewing her charts and graphs. "I'm seriously impressed with your research." He glanced upward. "You get it, don't you?" He'd never really met anyone else who did.
Prima tilted her head. "Get what?" Her gaze narrowed a little.
Graham swept his hand over the piles of folders and notes. "The way information has power and a vibe all of its own." And data held the answers they would need.
Her eyes widened. "Yes." She leaned forward. "That's what you mean by it talks to you, isn't it?"
He grunted. "Yep. And if you listen closely, all is revealed." Patterns emerged and pieces fell in place.
She sat back. "Huh. I never thought of it that way." Her gaze met his again. "I'm surprised by your easy manner. I haven't been very welcoming and that would put a lot of people off." She shook her head. "But you aren't put off at all."
Graham shrugged. "It's hard to have someone come in and scrutinize your work. Especially with a ticking clock getting louder and louder in the background." He pulled three of the folders out and placed them in the middle of the table. "I'm not here to dampen your efforts. My goal is to add a second set of eyes and ears and collaborate with you to resolve this before anyone else gets hurt." He tapped the middle file.
Prima's gaze focused on the information. "You think I missed something…" Her shoulders drooped.
Graham made a back-and-forth motion with his head. "No, I think there's an avenue you haven't explored yet, which is not the same as missing key details." He paused, waiting for her reaction.
Her response would determine how he'd handle his next step.

I'm having a lot of fun with this one. Graham and Prima are going to do wonderful things together.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment