Sunday, August 16, 2026

Sunday Snippet: Fyre's Masquerade (a Specter Space Station novella)

Yeesh. I'd really like Ohio weather to calm the eff down. We've had storms all week and we're getting hammered today. Severe thunderstorm warnings, tornado warnings, it's wild.

We did have a break in the yucky weather on Friday and got to attend a fun concert to benefit our local botanical garden and a local pet shelter. We had a truly great time and my extended family participated in the musical lineup.

Had a busy work week filled with some tedious little stuff and some technology problems. I did manage to get a copy edit finished up and worked on formatting a family history book that has a ton of images in it. That one is kind of challenging because the copy edit can't be done with the images in the document and I'm pulling them out and adding design tags.

Not a bad viewing week. I made it through my usual slate and started a back-burner episode. The weather kind of affected being able to finish that one. I also did another binge watch of Death in Paradise on Ovation.

Started with an episode of Marple and enjoyed it. I rather liked the cast of characters in this episode and, whew, did it have some twisty turns.

Started a new series for me with Adrian Dunbar's Coastal Ireland. I love seeing the landscape and shorelines of the country. It's so beautiful.

Caught an episode of Beyond Paradise and I'm so bummed that Humphrey has to reduce his staff by one. I hope it ends up working out by the end of the season. I also wish I understood more about why Esther doesn't want to be happy with Archie. Maybe they'll delve into that a little more.

Watched an episode of Poirot and truly enjoyed it. Always nice to see old friends and the behind-the-scenes machinations were interesting.

Elementary had a great opening to its sixth season. Sherlock's struggle post-concussion adds an interesting layer of conflict and I'm happy with Joan's response.

Caught an episode of Young Justice and enjoyed it. Great to see the team pull together and also nice to see the Justice League's trust in their ability.

Enjoyed the season opener of Star Trek Lower Decks season five. Very fun to see a mirror of the crew and how different things could turn out.

Watched The Thin Man again because I was in the mood for something fun. I need to find the other Nick and Nora movies somewhere, because they're so enjoyable.

Started an episode of Peak Practice but the thunderstorms put a halt to finishing it. I'll maybe get to it later this week.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Fyre's Masquerade, a novella the in the Specter Space Station universe.

Here's the miniblurb:

Balek Fyre made his fortune mining asteroids and just became a principal owner of Specter Station. He's ready to enjoy a new stage in his life—until the Yuli family descends on his base of operations for the galactic midyear celebration with only one thing on their minds … getting him to marry their oldest daughter, Serena. The only problem? Balek would rather spend time with her sister, Scout.

And a sneaky peek…

Balek arrived at Specter Station and docked his ship in his very own private location. "Nice to have my own section." Over a dozen landing bays occupied his sector. "I've only got three ships."
Good to know his friends believed he'd need room to grow.
He grimaced. "Which I can't do if I'm stuck with a wife." He engaged the landing cables and called the crew to the bridge. "You all went above and beyond. Expect bonuses in your pay packets when they hit your accounts." After giving them a few moments to celebrate, he went on. "You'll ship out on Fyre's Wisdom in three weeks. Enjoy your downtime."
He followed them off the ship only to be greeted by his friends—and new partners.
Wicek stepped forward and clapped Balek on the back. "A celebration is in order, and I'm not referring to your supposed impending nuptials."
Balek winced. "Give me five minutes to enjoy my new home before we tackle the subject of my non-wedding." He shook hands with Wicek then Roman and Maddox. "What are we celebrating?"
Roman spread his arms wide. "Your official arrival to our base of operations." He leaned in a little. "Just in time for the mid-year masquerade."
Maddox lifted his chin. "It's scheduled for week after next, and we thought it would be a good opportunity to make the formal introduction and welcome you to the fold in the most public way possible." His lips twitched.
Balek rolled his eyes. "You mean the most torturous way, right. You'll make me say a few words and all that." He shuddered.
Wicek grinned. "Absolutely. And, hey, if you're really stuck for something to say, you can always introduce your bride-to-be."
Roman thwapped Wicek on the back of the head. "Stop it. His five minutes isn't up yet." Roman met Balek's gaze. "You're in for an interesting day, my friend." His tone had gone serious.
Balek glanced toward Maddox. "I take it the Yulis are less than thrilled with their accommodations?" He rather hoped they were.
Maddox gave a nod. "To say the least. Every one of them have asked to be moved … with the exception of the younger sister." His lips spread wide. "She seems to love where we put them."
She did?
Balek quirked a brow. "They're in the lower quadrant?" His curiosity piqued about this younger sister.
Wicek laughed. "Yep. The mother, Zara, considers it very far beneath their stature." He stuck his nose up in the air.
Balek smiled. "Good. That makes me happy." The more uncomfortable they were the easier it should be to get rid of them.
Roman cut in. "Did you review the file I sent? My legal team couldn't find a contract regarding a promise to marry."
Balak nodded. "There isn't one. It's possible they knew my parents, but if they have documents I'd bet my next ship they're forged." He paused. "The report on their finances is the key to this whole scenario. They think I'm going to be their new purse-holder and they're going to find out I won't be." Not with how the father let his business slide into shambles.
Maddox's lips curved. "When do you plan to inform them?"
Balek flashed a smile. "After I get about a full day of sleep." They could suffer another twenty-four hours.

I love this series and Balek is so much fun to write. I can't wait to finish these and put them out into the world.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment