Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Viable Options

October 25, 2015

WooHoo! Halloween is almost here! I love the fall holiday and even plan to decorate my all-year-round tree with some cool lights and creepy ribbon. I'm even planning to do a Thanksgiving themed tree if time doesn't get away from me. LOL

Television round up this week… not bad overall. I totally stayed away from discussing The Walking Dead, mainly because I didn't want to spoil anyone and I couldn't talk about the show without going into detail. I'll take a moment to say I LOVE how this season is kicking off and leave things there.

As always, I'm thrilled with how The Flash and Arrow are progressing. I thoroughly enjoy the alternate Flash and I like how Thea's time in the pit is being handled. Really interested to see how Sarah's resurrection plays out. (Hint… she'll be fine… eventually).

Agents of SHIELD continues to intrigue me. I have several theories floating around in my head about how things will play out, and I'm actually loving how many different storylines are being addressed. Keep it up!

Gotham and Sleepy Hollow are on my catch up list. Last week's schedule went off the rails so I'm watching both shows on demand.

Lost Girl and The Murdoch Mysteries are also staying excellent. And I started a new show called The Romeo Section that has me very interested. I'll keep everyone posted on how I fare with that one.

Finally, Doctor Who… eh. Seriously, I'm seeing so many people rave about the new season and I'm really not feeling it. The fandom theory that Ashildr will end up being Missy and the Doctor created the Master doesn't work for me. However, there is one way I could get behind the concept… Missy isn't a regeneration of the Master, but she decided to play the role. That might be an interesting twist.

Anyway, TV update for the week is over.

Tonight's post is from Viable Options, a novella where my main characters are pretty much stranded and left to their own devices.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Karlin Hex and Jay Shaliman are trapped high in the mountains when their planet is attacked and left for ruin. Karlin decides plan A is to find a ship, get off the planet and find their way to the military fleet or a viable spaceport. Jay finds the notion admirable, but wonders what her back up option is. That's easy—plans B through Z are the same as plan A.

And a sneaky peek…

Karlin Hex held the headphone to her ear, her mouth hanging open in shock.
The Hendragon Galaxy is under attack. Evacuate to the nearest outbound ship. Incoming ships should report to the nearest fueling station, load up, and wait for coordinates. Repeat. The Hendragon Galaxy is under attack…
What the hell had happened? Had she missed something? Coded chatter that warned of the mass attack? No. No way. She took her job seriously and always manned the comms whenever anything came through. The remote outpost picked up verbal traffic at the farthest reach of their charted space.
There had been no advance warning. Nothing to indicate a full-scale bombardment of nuclear weapons.
The fact didn't ease her guilt. Not when more transmissions followed the horrific news, reporting the location of the largest hit areas. Bombs were hitting every major city on the planet and its surrounding moons. Evacuees scrambled to find seats on any available ship, even the taxi hoppers that did short jaunts between the five populated moons and the planet. They'd have to find bigger ships to hook up with, but at least a few more lives would be saved.
Her gut twisted. Early warning systems didn't work when the enemy remained silent. And planned well. They'd pulled off the impossible and caught the rest of the galaxy with their pants down.
Karlin's location in the foothills of a majestic mountain range would give her a few days to figure out what the hell to do. And how to accomplish anything with the limited supplies she had on hand.
But at least she had something of a safety net… even if it wouldn't last long.

This is pretty much in the beginning stages, but it's so much fun to write.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment