Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Yank the Chain

Ugh… we're going to hit the fifties this week, meaning my sinuses are going to go on a full scale revolt. LOL

So, I enjoyed the first two episodes of The X-Files and look forward to the remaining four. :D I could totally get behind short-term revivals of my favorite shows.

My general rundown of my weekly must-sees starts now. Skip ahead if you're not interested. The Flash turned in a great episode. Looking forward to seeing if I'm right on a few things. I do wish Harrison wouldn't turn out to be a bad guy this time around, but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed.

Arrow had a terrific show with Felicity battling her old self. I love the subtle nuances in this show sometimes and having her let go of the angry, young woman she once was and accept her current incarnation juxtaposed so well with the underlying theme of accepting her current circumstances and it did it without getting completely maudlin. I love this show!

Legends of Tomorrow amped up the repercussions of traveling through time, but still delivered on the witty banter between the characters. I do have concerns about the show devolving into gimmicky shtick when they're in a different era, but so far, I'm loving what they do.

Agent Carter… Love this show! I have so many theories and ideas of how things will play out. I really, really want Jack to get his head out of his ass and see how easily he's being manipulated. I think it's going to happen, but who knows. I love how much Peggy doesn't hesitate to call Jack on his shit. Seriously, good stuff there.

Even though Teen Wolf feels so discombobulated, I like where everything seems to be headed. I don't know, the flow is choppy and maybe that's being done on purpose, but I'm a little cranky about it. I do love having some familiar faces popping up again though.

I have a new show I've started to binge watch, X Company, a Canadian offering which I'm thoroughly enjoying. I might not rank it up there with Murdoch Mysteries, but I'm only three episodes in. LOL

And that's it for my viewing pleasure rundown this week. The Walking Dead returns soon and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Tonight's post is from Yank the Chain, a novella that got its start with a prompt from another writing community. I seriously owe a lot to those comms and the wonderful ideas they spark.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When pilot Riley Wang refuses to cave in and sleep with an arrogant major, she ends up in hack a week before graduation from flight school. Moss Mordecai bails her out, but keeps her from going after her superior officer. If Riley wants back on the roster, she needs a plan and spending more time in the brig isn't a good one.

And a sneaky peek…

Riley hopped up off the cot and moved to watch Moss enter the outer hub of the brig. Finally… she could get the hell out of here. He stopped to hand over the personal recognizance form.
Lance Corporal Sam Shriver flashed a smile. "She'll be glad to see you, Sir." He stamped the form then split the page, handing Moss his copy and filing the other one.
Moss huffed out a harsh breath. "Right. Maybe not. This is the last time I'm getting her out of hack." He followed Shriver into the holding area.
Riley frowned, especially when Moss wouldn't meet her gaze.
Sam held up a hand. "Riley got locked up because she decked the major." He leaned in, keeping his voice low. "Hear her out, Sir." Her turned and gave Riley a commiserating glance.
Moss grunted. "Yeah and she calls me to save her ass. Again." He turned toward the cell. "Someone always seems to yank your chain and I'm the one who gets stuck bailing you out." He nodded and Shriver went to unlock the door.
When the bars swung open, Riley stomped past Moss but turned and faced him. "Not someone, Moss. Major Cabella. The god damned asshole tried to have me grounded." And she didn't need Moss being all judgmental right now.
Moss quirked an eyebrow. "What did you do to piss him off?" He followed her to the guard station.
Sam rolled his eyes and handed Riley her personal belongings. "You'd better fill him in, Riley. Tell him what the major tried to pull on you. And don't leave anything out." He handed her the clipboard to sign for her stuff.
Riley initialed the appropriate spots and shoved the papers back toward Sam. "I will, Sam. Thanks for calling him." She walked to the hatch and exited into the corridor, not really caring if Moss followed or not.
They did need to talk, but his attitude stung more than she expected it to. Moss said his farewells to Shriver and finally fell into step beside Riley.
He waited a moment, then asked. "What's going on, Riley? What did you do to the major, aside from punching him in the face?"
Riley shook her head. "It's what I didn't do. Or won't do." She risked a glance in Moss's direction.
Understanding flared in Moss's eyes. "Are you saying"—he broke off and glanced over his shoulder before lowering his voice—"he revoked your flight status because you won't sleep with him?"
Riley snorted. "He's not after sleep, Moss. But yeah, that's what I'm saying." Riley strode forward but only got a few feet before she stopped. "Wait… you said revoked. He actually filed the papers?" The son of a bitch.
Moss caught up with her before answering. "He must have. You're not on the roster for the rest of the week." He tugged her arm and ducked down an empty causeway. "He's playing it smart, Riley. You turn him down. He goads you into a physical altercation. You cool your heels in the brig and he goes through with pulling your quals. You get out and either do what he wants, or don't fly. Either way, he wins." The last part came out as a snarl.
Riley growled. "That's not smart. It's fucking abuse of rank. And no way in hell will he win." She spun around and charged down the corridor.
Moss grabbed her shoulder, yanking her back. "Uh uh. No way. You go after him again and it's not just brig time, it's court martial and hard labor on some remote planet with no amenities. No flying, no freedom, just digging and mining for crystal ore." He pinned her with his gaze. "Is that what you want?"
Riley wanted to scream, but refrained from doing so. "I want his balls in a vice. And a hard labor might be worth it." Not really, but if it came down to putting the major on notice, she'd consider anything.
Moss winced and swallowed hard, but recovered quickly. "No, it won't. You need a plan, Riley. You can't be the first he's tried to coerce. Expose the major and he can't do it again." He folded his arms over his chest and blocked her path.
Riley narrowed her eyes. Leave it to Moss to nail the problem's solution on the first try. She relaxed and let the wheels turn in her head, a plan formulating right away. "You're right. I think it's time for someone to yank the major's chain." She lifted her gaze to meet Moss's. "I'm gonna need some help. Think you could bail me out again?" Only this time not from the brig.
Moss cocked his head to one side. "Do you even have to ask?" He reached out, grasping her hips. "I've always got your back, Riley."
She smiled for the first time in two days. "Good. You can start by scrubbing it in the shower. I wanna wash the brig stench off so I'm in top form when we plan."
Moss dropped a kiss on her head. "I can definitely do that."

The major isn't going to know what hit him when Riley and Moss get through. Gotta say, this one is a lot of fun.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment