Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Perfect Conversation

Ugh. It's been decades since I've had snow in April and we got two days of it last week. LOL

Anyway, television this week had a great run. Legends of Tomorrow continues to make me happy. Actually titling an episode about a guest star is brilliant. Seriously.

I missed Black Lightning's new episode but plan to catch up with everything with a binge watch in the near future. Also need to get caught up on Riverdale, but I have watched two of my saved episodes. Gotta say I'm so interested in Alice's past and who Chic's dad is. Considering she drove me insane last season, I like this newfound curiosity. Also loving the whole Blossom family drama. Seriously, Riverdale is hitting on all cylinders with me right now.

Arrow's episode ended up being better than I hoped. It's probably not a bad thing to have Oliver's leadership tested and questioned. It's not often I get to see a character actually have to progress through a moment of growth. That said, I hover on the fence with Laurel. I know what I'd like to see happen but I won't hold my breath.

Got another episode of Gotham in and rather liked having Bruce call Alfred. With so much going on, I'm always surprised how well all the plot threads mesh together.

On the other hand, Jessica Jones feels so disjointed sometimes. Not saying it's a bad thing… the overall theme of season two sort of begs for the disconnect. All in all, I'm happy with how things are playing out, with maybe the exception of Trish. My hope is season three will serve as a redemption platform for the character. If not, well… yeah.

Watched an episode of the current season of Chicago Fire and Chicago PD. I'm working my way through to catching up on these. Also watched more of Blindspot. I'm up to the point of new episodes and literally cheered out loud when Jonah Fisher got his comeuppance. I loathed his character. I also wonder if anyone else kept hoping Kurt Weller would go Damien Scott on Fisher's ass? No? Just me? Okay. I can live with that. LOL

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Perfect Conversation, a novella that started as a missing scene fanfic and evolved into its own story.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Gigi Morse ran away from Scott Alamead because she didn't want to risk losing him. But when she returns, a very different Scott greets her and Gigi realizes she's right back on the hot seat.

And a sneaky peek…

At least Scott hadn't thrown Ian Radek in her face. First time since she'd made the mistake of sleeping with the guy. Hell, she snuck out under the cover of last dog watch and accepted a crazy mission to get away from the constant reminders. Thinking about it, she figured too much other crap swirled around them at the moment, making everyone's tempers flare. Scott would get around to dragging her one-night stand—okay, weekend fling—back between them. And she probably deserved it, but geez, she'd already owned the stupid mistake.
It might not have been such a drama-inducing event if she and Scott weren't crazy attracted to each other. They went back a long way and the undeniable chemistry simmered under the surface from the day they met. The timing to act on it? Not so much.
She'd be footloose and raring to go and Scott would have a steady liaison going. Or he'd be at loose ends and she'd be knee deep in a relationship. They never got to resolve that underlying tension, but they did form a solid friendship.
And hell, they'd seen each other through break-ups, make ups and everything in between. But they'd never been single at the same time. Gigi didn't think it a bad thing. She'd never had a friend like Scott… one she knew inside out and upside down.
Only one, tiny problem with that. He had the same deal with her. And, holy hell, had he used the knowledge. The fling with Radek wouldn't have been a big deal under normal circumstances. But she'd grown even closer to Scott. Talked about being at loose ends at the same time. Discussed testing the waters. She found it so easy to be with him… and it freaked her out. Gigi didn't know if the comfortable vibe would be lost if they hooked up. Hadn't trusted they could have anything lasting after they acted on the crazy attraction.
And Scott saw right through the self-sabotage. Pissed off, jealous, and very disappointed he called her on her bullshit.
She winced at the remembered conversation.
Scott confronted her, all but yelling. "You can't risk it, can you? Your heart. Not even to me." He spun around and paced back and forth. "How many times have I picked up the pieces, Geege? How long have I been there to catch you when you fall?" He stopped and pinned her with an angry stare. "And you can't see? Can't believe I might be different?" He made a garbled choking sound of disgust.
She flushed, her face hot. "Scott, I—" What? He'd laid it out. Everything she felt, he'd nailed… exactly. "It didn't mean anything. And I knew it wouldn't." Her shoulders slumped, the admission sounding hollow.
Scott snorted. "And that makes it worse, Geege. Because it meant nothing except a way to run away." He smiled, sadly. "From me." Sighing, he shook his head. "And you know what? I won't stop you. If you're too afraid to take a chance… fine. I'll be the friend you can count on… nothing more." His tugged her forward and caught her mouth in a devastating kiss. "But you're selling us both short."
And she had. Scott had it right. She let her fear get in the way. The tiny, little part of her that questioned everything. What if they couldn't make it work. Did she only want a warm body for comfort? Did Scott? How would they work together and have a relationship? What if one of them got killed in action?
Ding. Ding. Ding.
That one always tripped her up. The hurdle she could never quite get over. What if she lost Scott?

I'm very happy with how this one is progressing. I need to brainstorm the rest of the story and I'm looking forward to seeing how it finishes up.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment