Sunday, April 29, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Personal Involvement

April 29, 2018

I'm amazed we're at the end of April. I think because the weather has been so winter-like in Ohio, it doesn't feel like we should be four weeks away from summer vacation. Even yesterday, the chilly weather felt more like a warm winter day than spring. LOL

At least the ramp up to season-enders on television seems to be worth staying inside for. That said, I have to play catch-up. The lead up to the school musical took a lot of time this week along with several editing projects.

I'm almost finished with Blindspot's second season. I have one more DVD to watch. My only complaint would be how slippery Shepherd continues to be. I truly hope the takedown is worth watching and, you know, actually happens.

I'm catching some new to me episodes of Midsomer Murders and I'm excited to see what else Acorn TV has to offer. Also caught an episode of Chicago Fire and Chicago PD and enjoyed both. Nice to Casey move up the rank chain. Also great to have Antonio back at District 21.

I'm up to episode nine of Jessica Jones. So far, the second season has been a little slower than the first, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's given me time to really, really want to bitchslap Trish. I haven't decided how I feel about that yet. Usually it's Geri I want to smack really hard. LOL

Finally got to watch the musical episode of Riverdale. Watching Cheryl get her groove back? Excellent. I'm kind of on the fence about Hal and Alice. I had some investment in FP maybe finding some happy moments, you know? Archie and Fred being kind of on the same page made me happy, along with Betty and Veronica burying the hatchet. The ending though? Wow. Definitely some twisty shit.

I like Krypton. Seriously, the pacing is terrific so far with backstory being woven in with current plots moving forward. So far, so good. Also caught another episode of Ghost Squad and I'm a little on the fence with this one. The end of the episode threw me a little.

Endeavor is keeping my interest. I rather like seeing how Frost grew into his big shoes. Also started a subscription to BritBox and watched The Coroner. Really terrific first episode.

Today, I'm catching up on The Flash and hopefully Arrow. Also started Constantine: City of Demons. I'm gearing up for the character to be a regular on Legends next season.

That's it for television. Tonight's post is from Personal Involvement, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of writing a scene set around a disciplinary hearing.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tarin Glade gets caught up in a nightmare when she's brought before a disciplinary council for her personal involvement with a student who failed basic flight. When Ellis Spector, the brother of the complainant, speaks on Tarin's behalf, it rocks the foundation of his family—especially since the commandant who brings the charges is Ellis's father.

And a sneaky peek…

Ephram threw up his hands. "I just don't understand what you see in that woman. She ruined our family." He paced back and forth in front of the fire.
Ellis sighed. "No Dad, she didn't. That woman saved it." Why couldn't his father see what Tarin had done? "If you want to hold someone responsible, look at Eddie. Then look at me and you." He waved his hand between them. "We let him breeze through life too much and never held him accountable." Pinning his dad with hard stare, Ellis dared the man to deny the facts on the ground. "I'm guilty and so are you. That woman, Tarin, has more honor than the three of us put together. She didn't back down, didn't take your shit, and didn't even tell the court Eddie broke up with her. All to save my family name." Which happened to be Ephram's, too. "She recognized Eddie's lack of commitment and did what she had to do. She might use unorthodox methods to teach, but she's got the courage to back it up. And I've got news for you, Dad. She's got the balls to match that courage." He snorted out a laugh. "Anyone who can stand up to you and come away unscathed definitely has a brass set." And Ellis would Tarin against his dad any day.
Ephram's lips thinned. "Well, you helped out a little there, didn't you?" His voice lacked its usual censure though.
Ellis nodded. "You're goddamned right I did. You had no business butting in and trying to strong arm her into playing it your way." He moved to stand beside his dad. "If you took two seconds to talk to her first, you'd have saved everyone from the fiasco of a tribunal. But you did what you always do—charge forward with your guns blazing—and it backfired this time." Ellis wouldn't even get into what Eddie had done, taking a page from Ephram's book and trying to stack the deck by dating Tarin.
Ephram sighed. "Yes, it did. There's a very good chance I'll never make admiral now." The elder Spector gazed into the flames.
So, not the point, Dad. But Ellis would fight that battle another day.
Ellis put a hand on his father's shoulder. "There's also a good chance if you stop being a horse's ass, you could. Get over it." Or go down in flames.
Ephram's record should speak for itself once the sting to his ego went away.
Ephram angled his head toward Ellis. "You really have it bad for her, don't you?" A hint of resignation crept into his tone.
Ellis only waited a beat before answering. "Yeah, I think I do." He slid his dad a sideways glance. "And I don't give a shit if you have a problem with it. She's the best woman I've ever met and I mean to let her know that as often and frequently as possible." And show her… in a myriad of different, hopefully erotic, ways.
Ellis waited for the inevitable lecture about picking the wrong woman and how horrible Eddie would treat Tarin.
It didn't come.
After a quiet moment, Ephram sighed. "Then I wish you luck. You're gonna need it, I think." He slapped Ellis on the back and chuckled.
Ellis flashed a smile and returned his gaze to the fire. His dad's unexpected seal of approval gave Ellis hope. But the toughest challenge lurked in the shadows.
Keeping Eddie from trashing everything.

This one is still in the beginning stages, but I love the dynamic between the Spector men. Family drama is so much fun. LOL



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment