Sunday, April 15, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Poetry in Motion

Well, we had a semi-nice weekend. Today is rainy and chilly but Friday and most of Saturday was sunny and beautiful.

I got a lot of television watched this week. Dipped into CW Seed's Vixen and thoroughly enjoyed the first "season". I'm almost finished with Blindspot's first season and I'm looking forward to starting season two. Watched another episode of Chicago Fire and Chicago PD this week. Not sure how much I like seeing Hank defanged on Chicago PD but I'm in for the ride either way.

Legends of Tomorrow delivered an awesome season finale. I'm thrilled with where the characters ended up and having Constatine and Gary drop their little gift on the team made me laugh.

The Flash had a decent episode. I'm actually ready for the season to be over and Devoe to be defeated. Still need to catch up on Black Lightning. I'm hoping to find time this week to watch the episodes I've missed.

I did catch an episode of Riverdale and, yeah, talk about uncomfortable. No one is having an easy time of it right now. Definitely concerned about Cheryl. Her mother is a piece of work. Fred running for mayor… that's gonna be interesting. Just saying.

I got another episode of Gotham out of the way and things did not go where I thought they would. Sofia is a piece of work. I did love the overall theme of getting people back together. "Reunion" is a perfect title for the episode.

Arrow truly continues to amaze me. I'm saddened Oliver seems to be breaking ties with everyone so he can focus on the mission, but I'm also pretty interested in how the rest of the season plays out. I'll go out on a limb and say the councilman is on Diaz's payroll, too.

I'm almost finished with season two of Jessica Jones and I'm truly thrilled we'll have a season three. That said, I hope it's a little more cohesive. It's nice to have Jessica's backstory but I'd like to see her truly throw down with a villain. Just saying.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Poetry in Motion, a sexy short that started as a scene prompt from a writing community.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Ian Flannigan, a talented athlete, wants to take the crown on the planetary Sky Dawg circuit. But when he inadvertently causes the death of a competitor, he has to decide if he can keep it together enough to win, which won't be easy with the coach's daughter constantly pushing for him to lose control.

And a sneaky peek…

Ian threw the towel across the gym. "I think I'm done. After this season."
Well, that answered how heavily the guilt still weighed on him. Too much.
Wayne DuPres shouldn't have lost his life.
Her powerful attraction for Ian warred with her desire to kick his ass. She'd worked with the Bruce long enough to see what he saw. Buttloads of potential. But Ian's control freak persona doomed him. The man kept a tight lid on himself. Feared letting go. Took on way too much responsibility.
But to consider giving up? Oh, yeah, that pissed Reagan off.
She snorted. "You're an idiot."
He paused with his shirt halfway up to his head. "Excuse me?" Yanking the garment on, he planted his hands on his hips.
If only covering up ruined his appeal. It so didn't.
But she pushed on. "Do you have any idea how much wasted time and effort we've used on the investment in you?" She started pacing, trying to keep a lid on her anger, and think of a way to tell Ian his main problem. "Christ, Ian. You're not responsible for DuPres. Everyone who signs on the bottom line for this sport knows, knows, the risks." And if they didn't, they were too stupid to live anyway.
Ian threw a hand up. "It's not that simple, Reagan." He started a slow walk back and forth, keeping pace with her. "Yeah, we all get it's dangerous, but our choices on the course affect more than the win-loss column."
She rolled her eyes. "God, you're not responsible for the world, Ian. Why can't you see that?" No one blamed him, except him.
He stopped and faced her. "I do. And you've got a point. A big part of why I want to get out now has to do with Wayne's death." He glanced away and then back again. "Because every time we push the rules and boundaries, the potential to kill someone is there." He held her gaze, all but daring her to argue.
And she wouldn't, not on that particular topic. She'd never change his mind. She'd alter her tactics instead.
She made an angry choking sound. "You're too by the book to ever win a championship anyway." Pacing back and forth again, she went for broke. "You know why no one trash talks you? They know they don't have to." If he didn't react to that bold statement, she'd give up.
He frowned. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" His hands curled into fists.
Exactly what she wanted. "You think too much. You psych yourself out faster than any one of those goons out there could." Her voice lowered. "Shut your brain down and let it roll, Ian." Just once…
He grabbed her arm. "What? Like you?" Snorting, he shook his head. "You have no control, Reagan. How many skeds have you destroyed this season alone? And you don't even race." His brow quirked.
Wow, okay, way to put the focus on her instead of where it needed to be.
She flung her free arm out. "Who the hell cares? That's what we have the lane crews for." Pulling away, she put some distance between them. "They take care of the machines… we take care of winning." She widened her eyes… how could he not understand?
Ian sighed. "What do you want from me?"
She huffed out a breath. "A win, Ian. I want you to win like I know you can."
Frustrated and way too close to being pissed, Reagan turned and walked out of the gym.

I kind of enjoy writing scenes where the characters are at a fundamental cross purpose. Neither is wrong, but they're on opposite ends of the spectrum.



That's if for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment