Sunday, March 8, 2020

Sunday Snippet: A Day in the Life (Shyler: Finding Home companion read)

What a weird weather week. Of course, it's March in Ohio so not exactly uncommon. We had beautiful spring-like temperatures at the beginning of the week and by Thursday it got chilly again. A little bit of snowy flakes and brrr! degrees outside.

Finished up a big project and another one on the smaller side and also started a new one. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of television in this week.

I watched the last Midsomer Murders that's currently available. I rather hope they do another season. I love this show.

I also caught another series one episode of Peak Practice. I'm enjoying this series quite a lot.

I started the eleventh series of Classic Who and loved the introduction of Sarah Jane. I'm so sad Elisabeth isn't with us anymore. She made Sarah Jane such a great character.

I've watched about eight more episodes of Danger Man. John Drake is definitely a pre-Bond character study. The first season is a lot of fun so far.

Caught two more episodes of Gargoyles. The second season is quite a mish-mash. Not to say it's not good but a lot is going on.

Started the second episode of Strike Back's final season. This show. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Hmm. Maybe I watched more television than I thought. But that's it for this week. Tonight's post is from Day in the Life, a companion read to Furlough 99's Finding Home told from the droid's point of view.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Alphie is a kick ass droid who assists Inspector Shyler Lumen. He's also not afraid to offer unwarranted advice.

And a sneaky peek…

Alphie made himself as unobtrusive as possible, but listened in with a keen ear.
"Do you have rooms reserved?"
Marshton Gray certainly cut to the chase. And he'd caught their inspector off guard.
"Wasn't sure what I'd run into once I got here." Shyler took a long swallow of her CaffCola. "I was assured a single room wouldn't be an issue." Her eyes narrowed in thought. "I didn't expect to get tangled up with you, but I doubt it'll be a problem."
She couldn't be more wrong. Marshton could and would be a problem for Alphie's prickly inspector.
The galactic mogul didn't understand either. "What won't?"
Shyler crumpled up the crisp tray. "You staying with me in a single unit." Her eyes scanned the area until they landed on the trash bin. "I'll go find a porter and book it now." Hopping up, she tossed the refuse then turned and waited for him.
Alphie readied himself to be of assistance. Shyler got as far as swiping her card before Gray intervened with an alternative suggestion. Apparently a single occupancy unit wouldn't work for him. 
And why should it. The man had an entire suite in the luxe quadrant. Alphie wondered if he'd actually convince Inspector Sweetie to share the space with him.
"May I offer a suggestion? An alternative choice?"
Shyler frowned. "To what?"
Alphie had to applaud Marsh's brutal honesty. "Extremely cramped and uncomfortable accommodations."
Shyler raised her eyebrows. "What's wrong? Can't deal?"
Oh ho. Inspector Sweetie scored a point for that one. Gray needed a moment before he could speak.
He blew out a calming breath. "Why should I have to? I've got a suite of rooms in the luxe quadrant." She opened her mouth to blast him but he forestalled her. "I said rooms. You can have your own and not even have to see me." He added on for good measure. "Or hear me for that matter."
Shyler shot back. "Do you snore or something?"
The corners of his mouth turned up. "Not that I've been told."
An odd light crept into her eyes and Marsh gave her a considering look. Alphie decided Miss Sweetie might not be as immune to Mr. Galactic Mogul as she claimed.
Interesting.

Honestly? Writing the story of Shyler and Marsh from Alphie's perspective is so much fun. This one will eventually be a free read once I get the final touches added.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment