Sunday, March 15, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Differences Settled

Yeesh, it's practically winter again. We had a bit of sun, rain, and snow today. Crazy. But I got to meet up with my two high school best friends for our last excursion before we hang back and wait to see what the global pandemic ends up doing.

Had a lighter than normal work week and got some cleaning done. I had some decent viewing also. Started out with finishing up the second episode of Strike Back. It ended up being a darned terrific episode. I have a nasty feeling how the series will end. Anytime a blood feud is mentioned … just saying.

I caught several episodes of Danger Man, putting me about halfway through the first season. Really like this show.

Watched an episode of Arrow and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting Russia. Also loved how John brought Roy back into the fold. I should be getting close to the big crossover event.

Got the Halloween episode of Riverdale in. Gotta say the whole Jason thing really creeps me out. Mr. Honey also creeps me out. I'm a Reggie fan even though he can be something of a douche canoe. I loved the Archie and Veronica storylines. But the best probably had to be the Betty and Jughead bits. Stonewall or whatever the hell the name of the prep school is has some dark twisty people. And, of course, Betty's ordeal with the prank phone calls ended up being well done. I'm not sure what the hell Charles is up to but here's hoping it's not something truly crappy. The little end caps with the flash forwards keep me intrigued.

Also watched an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. Loved the clip-show angle and revisiting the Meyer / Clegg rivalry. I had a true suspicion Clegg wasn't actually dead. That said, I'm not sure I like the fact he's not. Just saying.

Started a new series for me … The Heart Guy. I'm giving it a test run to see if it's what I want to dive into now that I've reached the end of Midsomer Murders for now.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Differences Settled, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Regan Tiedt and Finn O'Kellen are transferred to a new ship under difficult circumstances and find they have to settle quite a few differences with their new crew mates … and their commanding officer.

And a sneaky peek…

Regan stuck the last of her personal possessions in her rucksack. "Are you okay with this whole setup?" Getting close to Finn or pretending to his lover wouldn't be hard … but she had some reservations.
Finn quirked a brow. "Which part? The admiralty trying to cover its ass for making a potentially bad decision? Or the part where we've got a rubber-stamped pass to fuck up as much as we want?" His attempt at humor fell a little flat because both worked hard to be the best.
Regan pulled the drawstring taut. "Neither. I'm talking about the me-and-you thing." She cared for him and counted on his friendship.
And if they became more one day … well, she probably wouldn't fight against it all that hard.
Finn paused in his packing. "You're concerned?" He turned to face her, giving his full attention.
She shrugged. "The mission could affect our friendship. Not that it would be hard to playact with you." Might be a little too easy, in fact.
Finn's lips twitched. "So … it won't be a problem to be, um, affectionate toward me?" His eyebrows waggled.
Regan laughed. "Not showing it, no. Won't be difficult at all." She sobered. "But I could easily fall for you and that would beg trouble once the operation is over." Lots of trouble.
Finn's head dipped a little. "Because when we get back the frat regs would be applied again." At least she didn't have to spell it out for him.
Regan nodded. "If I'm being honest, yes. It'll be hard to go backward if we start something. At least for me it would be." And she'd bet her next pay grade he'd feel the same.
Finn confirmed her thought. "Look, it's the same for me. Getting involved with you wouldn't be a hardship, and I agree trying to fit back inside a predefined box would be more than a little hard, but let's see what happens." He put his hand on her shoulder, giving it a squeeze. "And always be open about what we feel, okay?" His eyebrows rose in question.
Regan agreed. "Yeah, definitely." Sound reasoning and easy enough to do.
So … why did she have such an itchy feeling of uncertainty?

With things being a little uncertain with regards to the pandemic, here's hoping I can get some solid writing done. I loved revisiting Regan and Finn's story.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment