Sunday, January 3, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Last Best Chance ... at a First Impression

Welcome 2021! It's been raining like crazy the last few days, which is kind of soothing even if it's also a little dark and dreary.

I finished up a work project and had time to get somewhat organized for the new year. I have a few small things to get lined up but I'm ready to dive deep into 2021.

Had a very slow week in television. I caught a couple episodes of Blue Heelers and a couple episodes of Silent Witness. I also did a few year-end marathons and watched my usual classic TV and mystery shows.

And that's how I'm starting this year. Tonight's post is from Last Best Chance …at a First Impression, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Cadence Coll, a top pilot, dreads her new assignment to the Cressida because the scuttlebutt has the CAG known for his rigid adhesion to the status quo. Nik Garrick likes order and structure and his new flying ace has a mile-long list of infractions. Cadence and Nik discover first impressions aren't always what they seem and a rush to make a judgment isn't the best idea.

And a sneaky peek…

Cadence pounded on the hatch and entered to find her new superior, off in a corner by the filing cabinet.

His head swiveled around. "Lt. Coll, I presume." He slammed the drawer shut.

Cadence recognized the voice and the man. "Ah … fuck me." Her face flamed hot when she realized she'd just made the worst of the worst first impressions on Nik Garrick.

Nik strode to the desk, nodding for her to have a seat in the chair opposite.

She sat, searching to find her footing. "Um, about that stick thing…" God, not the place to start.

Nik lifted a brow, but said nothing.

She huffed out a breath. "You're gonna leave me hanging, aren't you?" Not what she expected from a rigid, by the book superior.

He leaned back and crossed his arms over his chest. "You think on your feet. I wanna see how you get yourself out of this." His lips curved with the smallest of grins.

Cadence shrugged. "You've read my jacket." Her shoulders slumped forward. "Shit. You've read my jacket." She met his gaze head-on. "Look, you obviously have a sense of humor or I'd be in the brig right now." She tilted her head and gave him a considering look, remembering the prime physique from earlier. "And from where I sit, there's no room for a stick anywhere near your ass." She waited a beat. "Sir."

Nik's lips twitched. "And that, lieutenant, is why you and I are going to get along just fine." He leaned forward. "But don't tell anyone there's no stick. It keeps the flight crew in line." He winked and clicked his tongue against his cheek.

Cadence let out a bark of laughter. "I think I'm going to like it here."

And, so far, she really liked her new CAG.

I'm having fun with this story. I love writing awkward moments and dealing with preconceived ideas that aren't always correct. Cadence and Nik discover a lot of interesting things about each other.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment