Sunday, January 10, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Leading the War Effort

Well, it's definitely been an interesting beginning to the new year. At this point, I'm coasting through and taking happy moments when I can. Blogging is a happy moment for me.

Had a couple of work projects I needed to finish up and started a new one. I didn't have a lot of time for television but I did get a few things watched.

I watched a little more of Gabriel's Inferno and hope to finish it up sometime this week.

Also watched the next two installments of Queens of Mystery. I finished the second part of the first episode and started the first part of the second installment. I rather like this show.

Other than that, I watched most of an episode of Blue Heelers and caught my usual mysteries on Ovation. I'm a little bummed they've changed their line-up, but that always happens. I get used to and love having my shows on at a certain time and the network has to change things up. Ah, well.

Tonight's post is from Leading the War Effort, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

North Normandy becomes the test subject for a super soldier project and his first mission is to rescue his captured father. Frankie Gant knows the venture inside out, but lacks the emotional connection her superiors feel the candidate will need. Frankie acts as North's handler and when the planned op goes south, she risks her life, undergoing the same process to pull both men out of enemy territory.

And a sneaky peek…

North planted his hands on his hips. "Train with me." He'd had enough of playing everything her way.

Frankie blinked. "I'm sorry. What?"

North jerked his thumb toward the equipment. "Get your ass over here and run through each regimen with me." He'd bet his next pay grade she could do the sets without issue.

She tilted her head sideways. "You're serious." She made it a statement but her face showed she questioned if she'd heard correctly.

North lifted his chin. "Absolutely. Look, you said it yourself. I'm half-assing this. Give me a challenge and I rise to the occasion. Going up against the person who designed the program should get my head out of my ass." Or at least give him something else to focus on.

Frankie considered the idea but shook her head. "No. There're too many reasons why this is a bad idea. I'm the project head. I have to monitor and take notes while you're going through each session. If the department leads get wind of me joining you, they'd flip their shit." She paused and shot him a look. "A little too unconventional for their liking."

North waved a hand and raised a finger. "First, you're the project head so you can do as you see fit. There's no one better qualified to get results." He held up another digit. "Second, record the session and make notes after." He ticked off another item. "Third. If the department leads want this program to succeed—and they do—they've already accepted unconventional is the only way to make that happen. They'll give a token bit of objection then get the hell out of the way." He folded his arms to wait for her reaction.

And damn if he didn't look forward to it. He liked having her off kilter.

She opened her mouth then closed it. Determination filled her gaze. Okay, he had her convinced. He should get points for his skill in persuasion.

Setting her clipboard aside, she removed her lab coat. He'd be lying if he said his pulse rate didn't kick up about ten clicks. He couldn't wait to see her in a different light. Anything but the button-down persona.

She unbuttoned her shirt. "Video and audio record begin in five minutes." She slipped out of the shirt and kicked off her boots.

Clad in her fatigues and a sports bra, she ran through a quick warm-up. North blatantly observed the play of muscle under her skin. She had an incredible physique. The department leads were stupid to hold her back. And he had no doubt she'd make a strong addition to the program.

Frankie finished the routine and turned toward him.

He nodded. "Ready?" I certainly am.

I love this story. I pulled in some elements from Pacific Rim and Captain America and I like how they're meshing together.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment