Sunday, March 6, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Understanding Truth

Man, when it rains, it pours. My workload got intense this week, which I'm not complaining about, more shaking my head in wonderment. I either need to schedule things better or find more hours in the day. LOL

Had a decent week of television viewing even with the added projects. I caught two episodes of Classic Who. I think I'm about halfway through the trial season and it's actually pretty good.

Watched two episodes of The Alaska Triangle. Creatures featured again. I'm fascinated by the legend and lore around the big beasts that strike fear in everyone.

Enjoyed two more episodes of The Muppets. Honestly, I'm close to the end of the season and I'm charmed with the show. Probably good it only had one series, but it's a fun one.

Finished up the first season of Harrow. Gotta admit, I'm a little stunned by how things played out. But what a truly terrific opening season. Can't wait to jump into season two.

Caught an episode of Peak Practice. The new doctor arrived and he's rather interesting. I'll look forward to seeing more of him.

Watched two more lessons of MasterClass with Es Devlin. I quite enjoy listening to her take on how to collaborate with her team and the people they work with. It's very similar to how I approach editing with my authors.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Paranoid. This show is dark and twisty but there's a lot of humor to counter and balance the deep stuff. I'm looking forward to the final episode to see how everything resolves.

Caught two episodes of Classic Rugrats. I love picking up new little things when rewatching the show. And remembering things we picked up from watching the original run and encore episodes.

Watched two more episodes of Chicago Med. Things are getting a bit tense for everyone, which I kind of enjoy. I'm constantly shaking my head at Will, but I love his relationship with Jay. Ethan and April make my brain spin sometimes. Maggie is the most awesome of everyone.

Got in an episode of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. I have fun watching these short jaunts into the Peanuts realm.

Enjoyed another episode of Queens of Mystery. The larger mystery of what happened still looms and it's intriguing to see how the sisters react when Mattie gets close to making discoveries.

I also started another two-part Silent Witness. I have a weird feeling this might be Leo's last appearance. I really dislike the spook dude who's going around pulling strings but being a total ass about it. I hope he goes down in the end.

Finished up the two-part Blue Heelers episode and I'm happy to say it's not Wayne's swan song. At least not yet. Great ending to this storyline.

Star Trek: Discovery keeps ramping up the emotional toll on the characters. It's so, so good. I'll be finishing up the second season soon and diving into Picard's second season. I hope I'm not disappointed. I've never been a big fan of Q.

That's pretty much it for the weekly update. Tonight's post is from Understanding Truth, a novella that makes the main characters face some facts about what normal really is.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Perdix Plane and Brock Halliwell are soldiers who finally understand a few simple truths. They're not normal people, they don’t follow standard operating procedure, and they'll never have a conventional relationship—and maybe that's perfectly okay.

And a sneaky peek…

Perdix paced the command office, nervous about seeing Brock again. "Why him? Why send the one guy who probably hates me?" Duh, as if she didn't know.

Their history didn't exactly amount to a big secret. Who better to rein her in?

And, man, she'd screwed up so much lately she'd better brace for a major ass chewing.

The door shot open and she whirled around, getting her first glance of the man that haunted her dreams. He looked great—as if he wouldn't—with his rucksack over one shoulder and a box of files in his hands. Her stomach flipped and her knee went a little weak.

He stopped short when he noticed her. "Perdix, hey. Did you pull welcoming committee duty?" Dumping the box on the desk, he dropped his pack on the floor behind it.

Stunned stupid, she blinked at the pleasant greeting. "Um, yeah. Something like that." Then she frowned when he pulled the chair out and settled down, dragging the box across the surface to start pulling folders out, all but ignoring her.

Where's the lecture? The indignation that he has to clean up my mess?

He glanced up. "Did you need something?" He paused his unloading and gave her his full attention.

Which she loved and hated to equal degree. "Er, no. Not particularly." She shoved her hands in her fatigue pockets so he wouldn't see her fingers curling into her palms.

He flashed a smile. "Okay, then. You're dismissed."

She turned but paused and angled back. "Don't you want to rip me a new one?" Six months ago, he would've jumped at the chance to dress her down.

Brock shot an appreciative glance toward her ass. "Um, no. Why ruin a perfectly fine rear end?"

All right. That didn't sound like the Brock she'd grown to love.

She blinked, thrown off kilter. "When should I report for my reprimand?"

Brock leaned back into the seat. "Perdix, I've been here five minutes. Have you done something stupid since I arrived?"

She shook her head. "No. But—"

He held up a hand. "How about we not worry about it right this moment?"

Perdix narrowed her eyes. "Who the hell are you and where did you hide the real Brock?" Her arms folded across her chest.

She didn't know how to manage this version of Brock Halliwell.

He chuckled. "I'm still me, Perdix. But I've had a lot of time to think about how to handle things here. A clean slate seems to be the best way to start, don't you think?"

She nodded. "Be stupid to argue." Why give him ammunition to use later?

Brock grinned. "Yes, it would be." He grabbed more files from the box.

She studied him not sure how to proceed. "Well, um, welcome to the outpost, Commander. Congratulations on the promotion."

Brock's lips curved slightly "Thanks." He waited a beat. "It's good to see you, Perdix."

Damn. How should she respond?

She backed away, suddenly desperate for a quick exit. "Um, yeah. Same." Making a dash for the door, she ducked out completely bewildered by the encounter.

I love throwing my characters for a loop and Brock is a master at spinning Perdix in circles … until she starts working her own angles.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment