Sunday, March 20, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Unlawful Acts

Super-heavy workload this week. I'm actually thrilled to be scheduling on my planner again, color-codes and everything. It's been a while since I've had to use a hard copy for keeping track of my projects. I like being busy.

Had a bit of limited viewing time this week. More so from having a bout of insomnia and taking naps at weird times during the day.

I watched an episode of Star Trek: Discovery and I love how things are coming together. There's been so much packed into this season and I'm amazed by the storytelling. This is such a good show.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. Gotta say Will gets himself into some tricky situations. I'm kind of annoyed with the FBI agent being such a drama queen over everything. Also feel terrible for Rhodes. Between having his dad on the board and the new ED doctor, he's got a lot on his plate.

Caught another episode of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. This is such a great show for young science nerds who love anything to do with space.

Enjoyed another episode of Cuffs. I'm kind of intrigued by the various relationships and I quite like how they intercut the scenes. I'm liking this one.

Watched two episodes of Classic Who. We're getting close to the end of the season and I have sneaky suspicion the Master is going to rear his ugly mug at some point. Should be interesting to see if I'm right.

Finished up season sixteen of Silent Witness and, yep, we lost Leo. So sad to see his end. Kind of wish Harry had come back for that but I loved Nikki's eulogy. Started seventeen and, eh, not sure I like the new guy. Jury is out on that one.

Caught two episodes of Aliens in Alaska. I love getting into what people see and how the experience shapes them afterward. This is a good show.

Started Muppets Now and I kind of like it after watching two episodes. They've brought back some older characters and it's a very updated and modernized variety style. Fun stuff.

Watched two more episodes of Harrow and, dammit, they killed off one of my favorites. I'd actually like to see one of the other characters go but won't hold my breath on that one. I really enjoy the dynamic between Harrow and Fairley's niece. The blending of the case of the week and overarching mystery works well with this show.

Got an episode of Peak Practice in and it was a sad one but with other happy moments woven in. Loved the ending with the new doctor grieving with Joanna.

Caught two more MasterClass lessons with Es Devlin. I love how she covers scope when she talks about design. She's done some very interesting work and I'm learning a lot from watching her classes.

Watched two episodes of Young Wallander. It's a little uncanny how closely the plot line mirrors stuff going on right now and this show is set in Sweden. I love the lead in this one. He's understated and quiet but actually kind of funny and deep also.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. I should be close to the end of season two and getting ready to start on three. I love revisiting this show. I'm pretty sure they leave out a few of the best episodes when they run encores of this.

Caught a bonus short for Queens of Mystery. The recap of season one had some pings that I'll look forward to playing out in season three, especially the ones that weren't solved in season two.

Last but not least, I watched another episode of Blue Heelers. An interesting dive into coming home after being gone for a long time and how some people don't wear or show their feelings for everyone to see.

That's pretty much it for this week's life update. Tonight's post is from Unlawful Acts, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Effy Carmichael, an up and coming officer, wants the job of Alpha Team Leader and deserves it, except she's a few years too young to hold the position. When the spot goes to one of her oldest friends, Jonah Kirkland, Effy has to swallow her pride and welcome him even while she fights the powerful attraction between them. Hooking up with Jonah is against regs, but it may be worth committing an unlawful act to finally realize one of her most closely held desires.

And a sneaky peek…

Jonah stopped short when he entered the storage locker. "Eff, what the hell?" He didn't expect to find her hanging onto the top of them trying to keep her balance and having little luck doing so.

Hell, he didn't actually expect to find her there.

Her feet clawed at the mesh storage units. "Shit." Legs swinging, her fingers tried to gain purchase on the flat, smooth surface.

His eyes took in the sight of the toppled ladder and the brief thought of setting it upright disappeared when she finally started to drop. A quick decision had him stepping up to break her fall. His fault she'd lost her balance when he'd called out her name.

She landed squarely in his arms. Nicely done, if I had to admit.

Clearly expecting to hit the floor, her surprised eyes flew to his. Her chest heaving with reaction, she gripped his shoulder with one hand.

He flashed a proud grin.

Effy rolled her eyes. "Smooth, Jonah." She wriggled a little. "Now put me down."

He thought about it, but decided the time had come to clear the air between them.

He shook his head. "Uh-uh." He tightened his hold when she began to squirm. "I've got you right where I want you for the moment." Turning, he walked toward a cluttered table. "And whatever happened to thanks for saving my ass?" He used his elbow to clear a spot, then turned and sat on the edge, Effy still in his arms.

She stopped struggling. "Considering I was trying to save your ass, you should be thanking me." She tilted her head and gave him a considering look.

He'd obviously caught her off guard and from the look of it, she enjoyed it.

Score one for him.

Her words registered. You should be thanking me.

Jonah shot her a confused look. "What, exactly, were you trying to save my ass from?" He had no idea what she might be talking about, but having her at his mercy ended up being rather much fun. Too much so to let her go just yet.

Effy shook her head sadly. "I was looking for a helmet for Popper's big celebratory bust, since you obviously have no idea what's going on."

Ah. A sweet move to try and protect him? Or another pitfall to trap him?

Didn't matter, since he'd found the elusive prop.

Jonah sent her a smug smile. Her eyes widened with understanding and she probably realized she owed him an explanation.

He leaned back and sat her up on his lap. "Yes, I already found a helmet, Lieutenant." He pointed to the file cabinet behind the door.

A battered and beat up head cover sat where he'd tossed it to catch her.

Shifting her on his lap, he positioned her so she faced him. "Any other snide remarks?"

She cast her eyes down. "Uh, no." Heaving a sigh, she glanced back up.

Jonah lifted a brow. "Ergo…"

Effy closed her eyes and bit back a grin. "All right … I'll figure out an appropriate way to thank you, later." She made a move to slide off his lap.

Jonah tightened his hold on her again. "Is there a reason you didn't tell me about the ceremony?" They weren't quite finished yet … he planned to have whatever had her holding back hammered out between them.

Right now.

She shook her head. "Not a good one." A note of shame filled her voice.

Jonah loosened his grip and let her slide to her feet. "Talk to me, Eff. Why are we working at cross purposes half the time?" He snagged her hand and tugged her forward but let her keep a little distance.

He really needed to know what had her all twisted and bent.

I have such a soft spot for this story. Effy and Jonah have some complicated issues but their history ties them together and will help them get through their drama.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment