Sunday, March 13, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Uniform Differences

Another heavy workload this week followed by some snow and really cold temperatures. Of course, we're supposed to be in the seventies by Thursday, which means my sinuses are going to hate me. Fun times.

Had a slower viewing schedule this week with television. Needed to focus on one of my projects to get it finished up in quick fashion.

I did get quite a few of my regular shows watched. Caught two episodes of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. One featured information on Europa and the other on Venus. I'm quite enjoying the mix of sciency goodness with the antics of the Peanuts gang.

Started a new-to-me show with Cuffs and liked the first episode. This one should be interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Got two episodes of Silent Witness in, finishing up a two-parter and starting another. I'm very curious about how this will end as the next show will be the season sixteen finale. I'm a little worried about Leo.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Who. I'm kind of dizzy with the loss of Peri and a new companion rolled into the overarching main story. I'm still a fan of how this season is playing out though.

Completed the last episode of The Alaska Triangle and rather enjoyed the focus on a haunted fairground. I wouldn't mind seeing more from this region of Alaska.

Finished up The Muppets and have to admit I really ended up enjoying the season. I'm not sure if I'll start a new muppet series or move on to some of the Marvel universe shows.

I started season two of Harrow and, wow, it got off with a big bang. I'm very intrigued about how the main mystery is going to play out. I like having a case of the week mixed with the background intrigue of who wants Daniel dead.

Enjoyed an episode of Peak Practice and like the sort of slow burn going on with Andrew and the receptionist. I have a feeling that could go to some interesting places.

I watched two MasterClass lessons with Es Devlin. I love her ideas and insight into putting huge projects together by starting with small-scaled ideas. This shouldn't be confused with the ideas being small, more like imagining them in miniature scale and then creating a huge piece from that.

I watched the last episode of Paranoid and ended up loving this series. The ending wrapped up everything and the evildoers got theirs. Can't ask for more.

Snuck in two episodes of Classic Rugrats. I'm close to finishing up season two and need to decide if I'm going to move up to three or switch over to new Rugrats. Stay tuned.

Caught an episode of Chicago Med and I really, really dislike the new chief of the ED. The guy is a complete ass. Here's hoping he'll get a big helping of something not nice in the near future.

I finished up Queens of Mystery and loved the final episode. Lots of new threads to explore in the next season, which I hope is soon. I even ended up not hating the fiancé by the end. I hope if she'd in the next series, she's a lot less obnoxious.

Started a new series with Aliens in Alaska. I'm not quite ready to let the big state go. So far, I'm enjoying the show and look forward to more.

Caught another episode of Blue Heelers and got a kick out of Hugh Jackman guest-starring as an attorney. Honestly, he hasn't changed much in the thirty years since this show aired. Amazing.

Also started Young Wallander based on a recommendation from my brother. I'm almost through the first episode and, so far, enjoy it. Season two came out recently so I have some good stuff to look forward to.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Uniform Differences, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When it comes to respect, Tegan Gruss and Ellsworth Boshuk have a few uniform differences when defining how to show it. Ellsworth is tired of her constantly busting his chops—he's her superior officer—but Tegan doesn't care about rank when someone isn't worthy of her time or effort and Ellsworth is very worthy.

And a sneaky peek…

Tegan Gruss narrowed her gaze when her commanding officer strolled into the briefing room in a full-on strut. "What the hell…" She glanced toward the lance corporal three seats down.

His mouth hung open so, yeah, her eyesight didn't need checked. Another quick look showed most of her unit in similar states of shock and confusion.

Logan Tipton with a bounce in his step defied belief.

Tegan sat a little straighter, not quite sure what to expect but preparing for anything.

Tipton bellied up to the podium. "Good, wonderful morning, unit seventeen." His hands grasped the sides of the metal holder.

Where are his notes? He always has notes.

Tipton had a wide smile on his face. "I'm happy to inform you your new CO will be arriving on base within the hour and I'll be moving on up to executive command." He tapped his pips. "I'll be sporting lieutenant colonel brass later today."

The room erupted in congratulations and several sighs of relief.

Tegan blinked at the news. How long had she and Tipton waged their back and forth battle? He refused to move forward with the times and she poked holes in his reasoning for not doing so.

The soon-to-be colonel quieted the room down. "Uh, I know everyone is going to miss my morning briefings"—he sent a pointed look in Tegan's direction—"but the new guy, Major Ellsworth Boshuk, will have the enviable fun of keeping you all awake now." He cracked another grin then launched into the regular briefing.

While he droned on about the schedule, whispers started with speculation about their new CO. Ellsworth Boshuk. What kind of name is Boshuk? Where is he from? Wonder if he'll be as stodgy as Tipton?

Tegan wrapped her head around having new blood and hopefully new ideas. Her unit sat atop the base roster. They drilled regularly and had a good rapport—despite Tipton's attempt to muck everything up. She rather liked the idea of having a new commanding officer.

By the time Tipton dismissed them, the notion of change settled in exciting waves around her.

She got up and the lance corporal quickly fell into step beside her.

He leaned in a little. "You looking forward to breaking in a new unit commander?"

She lifted her chin. "Are you kidding? Hell, yes." She paused outside the door. "But maybe not right away."

The lance corporal frowned. "Why not?"

She grinned. "Because our new CO's arrival means Tipton the toad won't be the first face we see every morning."

The frown deepened. "And that's bad why?"

She rolled a shoulder. "Come on, there was something reassuring about Tipton's craggy countenance standing behind the podium every day."

The guy's eyes widened. "You're joking, right?"

She laughed. "Absolutely." She lowered her voice. "I, for one, can't wait to see the back Mr. Stick-Up-His-Ass."

I have this story plotted out and like where it's going. Tegan is a fun character to write and Ellsworth will keep her guessing, which she does not like.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment