Sunday, March 27, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Veracity of War

Another busy week with multiple projects on all the burners. I've been doing oracle card readings every morning and, based on what I'm seeing, things won't be slowing down anytime soon. I'm totally okay with that.

We had a few lovely days of spring before winter came roaring back. Two days in the mid-thirties with rain and flurries. Bleh. Then again, when I'm still wearing shorts and flip-flops in October, I'll try to remember being cold in March.

Not a bad week of television viewing. I'm kind of off-schedule, but that happens sometimes. I have a couple of movies and musical specials I want to watch and that might swing things back to my usual show cycle.

I started the week with Star Trek: Discovery and, ugh, I got very emotional. I've got one final episode, I think, of season two and then I might dive into the Ready Room to get some insider details.

Caught two episodes of Chicago Med and I kind of like the tension building between everyone. Sad to see Will and Nat's wedding not happen and I really disliked the FBI agent overseeing him. Not sure how I feel about the whole Rhodes dynamic. But, knowing what I know about what happens later, it'll prove interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Watched two episodes of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. I'm still enjoying the science stuff mixed in with the antics of Snoopy and Woodstock. I'm always kind of in my happy place after I watch the short features.

I liked the Cuffs episode this week. There's a good mix of humor and drama in this show and I enjoy the partner dynamics. The detective stories are a blend of weird and gritty and I like those angles also.

Enjoyed two episodes of Silent Witness. Finished up the second episode of a two-parter and it didn't go in the direction I thought it would. I love when that happens. Started a new two-parter and it's kind of intense, which I like. The detective is a bit of a hard ass and that kind of annoys me, but it's good drama.

I'm almost finished with Classic Who season twenty-three. As expected, the Master made an appearance. I'm a little wobbly on the whole Doctor's darker side thing, but it's an interesting concept and gets a little work-in during the New Who series episodes.

Caught two more episodes of Aliens in Alaska and I like getting a bit of an education about the remote central interior of the state and the smaller towns. The UFO and alien stuff is just gravy.

Watched two more episodes of Muppets Now. This version of the show is growing on me and I like the repeat appearances by a couple of the guest stars along with one or two new ones that pop in. Of course, I love the Muppet Labs field testing, probably my favorite skit of the new version.

Harrow is really amping up the tension. I'm still so angry they killed off one of my favorite characters but I like how it makes Harrow do some soul-searching. I have no clue what the hell Maxine is doing but I hope there's a good reason for it. The one character that annoys me still annoys me so no change there.

Enjoyed another episode of Peak Practice. We're moving into the trauma of the week style and I'm kind of okay with that. There's enough carry through from previous episodes it still feels like the same show. I'm almost finished with season seven and I'm still liking the show.

Finished up MasterClass with Es Devlin. I thoroughly enjoyed her lessons and actually have some good information to apply to my work. Should be starting a new class this week and I'm planning on going with another science series.

Caught two episodes of Young Wallander and, wow, this show hits hard sometimes. I kind of guessed about who really had a hand in the killings and I'm glad that played out the way I thought it would. I won't rule out another twist though. I'm kind of expecting one.

I started season three of Classic Rugrats and watched several episodes. A couple are probably in my top five for this season—at least until I watch more.

Finished up Queens of Mystery with the final Behind the Scenes bonus. I'm actually glad I did watch because I wondered if they'd recast the lead character and they had. I might need to revisit so I have the details straight but the recast is fairly seamless.

Also watched another episode of Blue Heelers and really enjoyed it. Nice to get some additional backstory about Nick. I'm also such a fan of Chrissy and Adam's relationship. I hope that lasts for a while.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Veracity of War, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

The veracity of war takes a toll when Emerson Gamble assumes command of a military outpost after his captain loses his life. Sheena Tram wonders if they'll be able to maintain their relationship when the burden of responsibility always gets in the way.

And a sneaky peek…

Sheena worked out her frustration from the heated discussion with Emerson on a heavy bag. She grabbed a shower and cooled down but still didn't see a way forward with Emerson—not with him as the CO. Draping a towel over her shoulder, she exhaled slowly and braced to face Emerson in quarters.

She opened the hatch and stopped short—stunned. "What's all this?" A table with two entrees took center stage and the other two occupants of their space were nowhere to be found.

Emerson swept an arm out. "This is a special celebration for me and you." He nodded toward the seating arrangement. "We'll be disturbance free for the rest of the day." Pulling her chair out, he waited for her to sit then moved around to settle across from her.

Sheena bit her cheek against a snarky reply. Emerson put some effort into this and she'd be stupid to ruin a surprise … and a celebration?

Waiting until he removed the lids from their plates, she arched a brow. "How did you manage to pull this off? I only spent ninety minutes working out and showering." Her heart swelled a little … he remembered her love of simple food—kielbasa and pierogis with steamed green beans.

Emerson shrugged. "I had a little help, which I'll explain later. Let's dig in." He stabbed a piece of meat and took a bite.

Sheena followed suit. His gesture had her filling with hope. But she didn't let it get out of hand. Too much stood in their way.

They enjoyed their meal in companionable silence, only commenting on the delicious flavor of the ingredients and the perfect texture of the beans. Comfort food at its finest and something Sheena needed at the moment. She also needed answers.

Finishing her last bit of kielbasa, she set her fork aside. "Why? I mean, why are we having a celebration?" She slouched down a little, stomach full and curiosity piqued.

Emerson set his utensils down. "The colonel realized I'm a little overworked doing my old job and the captain's, so I get to pick my 2IC." He paused and held her gaze. "I want you."

Sheena blinked. "Can you do that?" Well, duh, of course he could.

But should he? She had more concern about what their unit would think than anything else.

Emerson rolled a shoulder. "At this point, what can the brass say? They're not sending anymore officers to the outpost."

Sheena shook her head. "Not who I mean. This is about our unit. They can look at this as a situation of you're sleeping with me and promoting me because of it." The idea left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Emerson waved off the concern. "No, look. We've proven we work well together. You know what I'm thinking before I do sometimes. We need that in the field." He leaned in a little closer. "They can't argue that point and they won't." He grabbed her hand. "They trust you. Us." His thumb brushed over her skin.

Sheena nodded. "Okay, valid reasons." And ones he'd obviously given a lot of thought.

Which meant he'd been weighing this option for a while now … waiting for the right opportunity to make it happen.

Emerson squeezed her fingers. "Then let's celebrate and take the night—just for us." He got up and slid around the table to tug her from her seat. "Won't be official until tomorrow, but we'll be sharing this space—alone—as the commanding officers of our unit.

Sheena's eyes widened. "How're Blant and Roma gonna feel about that." They'd have to pack and move, which always sucked.

Emerson cupped her face. "They're okay with the idea and I'm supposed to pass along their congratulations." His lips brushed over hers.

Sheena tilted her head back. "They already know?"

Emerson shook his head. "Not about the bump in rank. They're happy for us though."

Sheena grinned. "In that case, we have some business that needs taken care of." She caught his mouth in a hard kiss.

Emerson scooped her up and deposited her on a bunk then dragged his shirt over his head. "Gonna join me or what?"

I love the vibe between Sheena and Emerson. They're a fun couple to write.

 


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment