Sunday, December 10, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Living with Scars

I'm having a weird month so far. I'm doing well with posting daily relaxation, stress reducer things to avoid becoming the Scrinch (Scrooge and the Gringe combined), yet I'm also feeling kind of down, which is not the norm for me. I'm thinking a happy medium might be the best I'll do this year and I'm okay with that.

Had a week of busywork projects, which ended up being kind of fun. I like jumping around and moving back and forth between jobs. Keeps me on my toes and paying attention.

Had a solid week of television. A lot of what I worked on this week let me have background noise and I got a lot of shows watched!

I started with the first sixtieth anniversary special for Doctor Who. Thoroughly enjoyed having Ten and Donna back together. Looking forward to the second special this week.

Trying out a new to me show with Elementary. Watched the first two episodes and I like it so far. I didn't watch at all when it originally aired and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this show.

Caught two episodes of The Batman and should be semi-close to the end of season one. Looking forward to more of this one.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. Liked both and loved the play on vintage TV shows the ghost stories episode had.

Watched two episodes of VIP and remembered one from the original airing of the show. Lots of fun with the ice bullets before they were really a thing.

Caught another episode of My Life Is Murder and ended up liking it a lot. The drag queen setting was fun and the snark fest between Alexa and the manager deserves a chef's kiss.

Enjoyed another Agatha Raisin episode. It's the first of a two-parter so I'm excited to see what happens next. Very fun to watch Agatha and James navigate living together.

Finished the second half of a two-part Silent Witness. Actually liked how this one played out. It's cool to revisit old cases and the one they went back to ended up being an important one.

Caught another Death in Paradise episode. I'm enjoying Florence and Humph working together. And I'm fond of the JP and Dwayne dynamic.

Also started a new Passionflix series with The Secret Life of Amy Benson. Got the first episode in and I'm intrigued so far. Looking forward to seeing how the two seasons play out.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Living with Scars, a novella that explores the reunion of a couple after one has a traumatic experience.

Here's the miniblurb:

Britta Dane, a woman who avoids entanglements, lets Yale Sullivan get a little too close. But when she finds a way to put some distance between them, she lands behind enemy lines. When she finally returns, a little broken and torn up with guilt, she has to find a way to get her brand of normal back.

And a sneaky peek…

Ralinda "Rally" Anderson quickly became the bane of Britta's existence. Rally got a taste for being a squadron leader while Britta served her penance in maintenance. And the younger pilot didn't want to give up her new-found status.

Britta figured a nice little chat should take place. "Hey, Rally. Hold up a minute."

Ralinda's shoulders tensed, but she waited by the exit. Britta struck a casual pose, leaning against the bulkhead with a foot propped on the surface. Then she stared Anderson down with a calm façade. It's the best way to get the upper hand.

Rally huffed out a frustrated sigh. "Did you want something?"

Britta lifted a brow. The girl had a set of brass ones. Britta would give Ralinda props for pushing back.

But Britta quickly set the tone. "I'm sorry. I think you meant 'Did you want something, sir'." Britta straightened, pulling rank and enjoying it. "Last I checked, I'm a lieutenant and you're still junior grade."

Anderson's nostrils flared, but she kept her cool. "Is there something I can do for you, sir?" She sneered the question, barely keeping a civil tone.

Britta smiled at the cracks in the pilot's armor. "You can tell me what your problem is."

Rally's eyes widened. "With what? Unless you mean you specifically, sir."

Smart girl.

Britta nodded. "Sure, Rally. Let's start there." She crossed her arms over her chest. "I've been back on rotation two weeks and you're either on my ass or so far up it, I can smell what you had for your last meal."

Rally flushed, but tersely explained. "You're a menace, sir."

Britta laughed. "I'm supposed to be, Lieutenant. Our job is to do as much damage to the enemy as possible."

Rally shook her head. "Not my meaning, and you know it."

And finally, they were getting somewhere. "Okay. Why don't you explain—specifically—why you think I'm a menace?"

Rally loosened up. "You're hungover … All. The. Time. You've lost discipline. You have zero focus. And sometime, probably in the very near future, you're gonna get yourself—or one of us—killed." She heaved for breath, dragging air into her lungs.

Britta quirked a brow. "Wow. Been saving that up for a while, haven't you?"

Ralinda lifted a shoulder. "Look, you asked. I don't wanna fly with you—veteran hot shot or not."

Britta slowly lifted her chin. "Good to know. But just to be clear…" Britta lifted one finger. "Haven't had a hangover in a month…" She added a second digit. "I've never had discipline outside of a cockpit." A third finger joined the first two. "Even unfocused, I still fly circles around you…" She lifted her little pinky. "And the weight of that chip on your shoulder will kill someone before I ever do." Britta moved to stand toe-to-toe with the other pilot. "You don't have to like me … but you'd damned well better respect the rank I hold." Britta pinned Ralinda with her gaze. "If you can't do that … I'm sure we can find some transport ships for you to pilot around the fleet."

Ralinda sucked in a harsh breath and opened her mouth to blast Britta. She quickly snapped it shut again and held her tongue, looking away to hide the angry flash in her eyes. A very wise choice.

Britta smiled and patted Rally on the shoulder. "Nice start. Keep the attitude in check and we'll do just fine." Turning, Britta walked a few steps before angling her head back. "You're dismissed, Lieutenant."

Continuing down the corridor, Britta felt better than she had since she got back. One problem down, a zillion more to go. Including one gigantic challenge named Yale.

I'm trying to rein this story in. The sages keep feeding me ideas and I won't be able to use all of them but it's a great problem to have.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment