Sunday, December 24, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Losing the Light

Happy holidays to all who celebrate. We're having a quiet weekend at home to avoid spreading all of our cold germs to anyone else. I'm very okay with that.

Started two new projects this week and slowly getting back to semi-normal while fighting the cold making the rounds through our house. My husband currently has it again.

Made an almost full run through of my current slate of television shows. I've been trying to make sure I get plenty of sleep, so I hopefully don't end up with a setback with the cold.

Watched an episode of My Life Is Murder and remembered I'd seen most of this episode before. Enjoyed watching it again.

Started another two-part Agatha Raisin and rather enjoyed the dynamic between James's sister and Agatha. Looking forward to the second half.

Finished the second half of a Silent Witness two-parter. I'm kind of excited to see where things go with a new person on the team.

Caught another episode of Death in Paradise. I don't remember watching much of this one before, but I do have recollection of at least one scene. Interesting that one of the guest stars is a regular on Agatha Raisin.

Watched another episode of Elementary. Thoroughly enjoyed it. This show definitely intrigues me.

Enjoyed another episode of The Batman. I think there might be one more episode of season one left.

Caught another episode of Classic Rugrats. I remembered both of the vignettes and enjoyed watching them again.

Watched another episode of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. I'm still intrigued by everything and can't wait to find out more about Amy's past.

Finished the week out with an episode of VIP. I have vague memories of watching this during the initial run of the series. Lots of fun.

That's it for the personal life update this week. Tonight's post is from Losing the Light, a novella that brings a couple back together after a bad breakup.

Here's the miniblurb:

Walker Garrett always does the right thing—except when it comes to Barret Danks. Barret never listens when she doesn't want to hear what's said, but Walker's ultimatum has her accepting a post on a newly terraformed planet. With him in the air and her on the ground, working out their issues doesn't seem likely … until Walker gets a call to meet with Barret's boss.

And a sneaky peek…

Walker shot up out of the chair. "You want me to do what?" He raked a hand through his hair.

Laura held his gaze. "I think I made myself clear. I'd like you to pick a group—a small one—of trained soldiers to help form a security force down here." She leaned back in her seat.

Walker snorted. "You want an official goon squad." She's mad.

Laura shook her head. "No. Not official and not a goon squad. This would only be temporary assistance." She got up and walked the length of the small room.

Walker huffed out a breath. "Temporary show of force you mean." He pinned her with a hard stare. "That's how the public will read this, especially with the word force in the title." She should know better than anyone how word choice worked.

Laura hand-waved his concern. "Call it whatever you want. A tactical unit, a unified detail, the semantics will work themselves out. The key idea is promoting safety and our current police enforcement isn't trained or equipped to handle the kind of maneuvers the opposition is using." She sighed. "I wish this wasn't necessary. The group opposing unification is well organized and vocal. But the majority of settlers elected me and I'm the duly recognized leader whether the rabble rousers like it or not." She paced back and forth. "We're in a unique situation here, Captain Gansett, not one I like being in but here we are."

Walker found her argument sound even if he didn't like it. "When you lay everything out, I see the hurdle you have to overcome. So, okay, I'll find a team to help out down here." Hopefully without stretching themselves too thin.

Laura paused. "I don't think you understand. You need to lead the team. I trust you and I want you to head up the new task force." Her emphasis kept getting stronger.

Walker bit back another sigh and sank back down into his chair. "You realize that's gonna put me in a very uncomfortable position, right? I'll have to assign someone to take command up top." And he barely had his 2IC on board.

Laura gave him a pointed look. "You're not going to like my next request either. Barret Danks will be your second in command. I insist on it."

Walker blew a gasket. "You've got to be kidding me." He got up and paced. "First you steal her, and now you're going to make working with her a stipulation?" He met her gaze. "You know our history, don't you?"

She would. Laura researched everything down to the last detail.

She had the grace to nod. "I do. But I also know you two to be professional and more than capable of putting aside any personal drama you might have for the greater good."

Well and truly trapped, Walker put the ball back in Laura's court. "If this is a dealbreaker, you should probably let Barret in on her new role." Because no way did Barret know yet.

Laura's cheeks went pink. "I already planned to do just that." She gave him a small smile. "I didn't mention our meeting to her because I wanted your agreement first." She hooked her hand around his bicep. "I'll have quarters assigned to you and expect to see you in two days."

Resigned, Walker gave a nod. "Yes, Madame Premiere. I'll see you then."

Heading back to his transport, he not so calmly accepted his life would be chaos for the foreseeable future.

Reunion romances are some of my favorite to write and Walker and Barret's story is one I'm enjoying a lot.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment