Sunday, December 31, 2023

Sunday Snippet: The Lottery

Well, it's kind of fitting that my last blog post for 2023 is on the actual last day of the year. I'm taking that as a good vibe to carry into 2024.

Had a semidecent week. Finished up a couple of things that needed attention and started to get my website updated after a very long dry spell. I'm also very close to launching the new endeavor I've been working on for several months.

Did pretty much a full run-through of my usual slate of shows. I have a whole lineup of holiday stuff I want to watch also. I know it's weird to wait until after the holiday is over but I've been very Scrinch-like the past couple of weeks, mainly because of the yucky cold.

Started out with My Life Is Murder and enjoyed the episode. I will say I still get a little put off by how prickly Alexa can be. I'm sure that's by design, but it annoys me.

Agatha Raisin kind of crushed me a little. I love Agatha and James and having them kind of end things breaks my heart. But I do love they ended on a soft goodbye instead of a harsh one. Looking forward to the next episode.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness and I'm kind of surprised how things played out. Did not expect the new guy to have such a dark secret. I love that he exposed it himself. Can't wait to see how this ends.

Caught an episode of Death in Paradise and it's one I'd seen before. Meeting Humph's dad explains so much. I love how this episode played out. Looking forward to starting Beyond Paradise to see if there's more of Humph's family.

Watched another episode of Elementary. Loved diving into Joan's previous life a little. I'm very intrigued by her and having glimpses into her former profession is always fun.

Finally continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. This episode had some great moments even if it ended up being heavier on the cylon lore. Hoping to catch another episode in the near future. Also need to backtrack a little and watch the webisodes and movie.

Enjoyed another episode of The Batman. I actually remembered this one because Alfred ended up being a lot of fun. I love it when he steps out of his comfort zone into his former life.

Caught an episode of Classic Rugrats. I have vague memories of this one, especially Angelica trying to be silent. In all fairness, she got robbed for once.

Watched another episode of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. I have one more left for the first season. So far, I'm enjoying it, but I'm glad I have season two ready to go because I have feeling the first is going to end on a cliffhanger.

Finished up my episode of VIP from last week and started a new one. I forgot I didn't get all the way through the episode because I remembered how it ended.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from The Lottery, a novella that creates a dilemma for an established couple.

Here's the miniblurb:

A devastating illness tears through a space colony and repopulation is paramount for continued survival. Veronica Fine and Garrett Delroy think they'll be exempt from the lottery which will match up prime candidates for procreation, but word comes down all members of the colony have to participate, even members of the military. When they're matched up, both suspect some behind the scenes maneuvering from the planetary leader.

And a sneaky peek…

I hate it when he's right. Veronica hadn't prepared for a cagey back and forth. She'd pretty much relied on her righteous anger to make the chancellor see the error of her ways.

Biting back a sigh, she muttered, "So much for that." She followed Lydia into her inner sanctum.

Veronica took the time when crossing to the desk to shift gears and strategize. Garrett quietly closed the door and joined them.

Lydia gave each a bright smile. "I have coffee available and cold drinks in the cooler. Would you like anything?" She raised an eyebrow.

Garrett shook his head, but Veronica played a hunch. "I'd love some coffee. You have the best around, so the scuttlebutt says." Put Lydia in the subconscious role of serving and catering to them all while adding compliments about her taste.

Garrett's lip kicked up in a small grin. "Nice." He voiced the word in a low tone.

Lydia turned and made her way to the coffee pot. "My assistant Josie gets all the credit. She's got very specific ideas on what makes for a perfect pot of coffee." After pouring a mug for Veronica, she sent Garrett a questioning glance. "Are you sure I can't get one for you?"

Garrett gave a nod. "You've sold me on trying. I'll take a cup, thank you."

Lydia returned with both coffees and retrieved a carafe of water from the cooler. Taking a moment, she retrieved a large glass and set it beside the pitcher. She also took time to pull her chair out and get settled.

She poured some water then pinned Veronica and Garrett with her gaze. "Vying for the advantage is fun, but let's get right to the reason you're here. You don't want to participate in the lottery, is that correct?"

Veronica blinked. "Geez. You don't ease into anything, do you?" She might be pushing their luck, but if the chancellor wanted plain-speaking, Veronica would provide some.

Lydia wielded her answer with blunt force. "No. Not when the fate of our survival depends on me." She dropped the pretense of domesticity, got up, and leaned forward. "It depends on you also. Everyone has to do their part." Straightening, she added, "Including you."

Garrett took a sip of his coffee. "Does doing our part include being manipulated into producing a kid? Because there's no way some behind-the-scenes shenanigans aren't involved here."

Veronica wanted to kiss him.

Lydia's shoulders twitched. "I did make sure you and the lieutenant were matched. It's a perk of being the chancellor." Her tone lacked remorse.

Lydia started to doubt how much of a hand the elder Delroy could have in this situation. Her heart sank a little. She really did get Garrett's uncertainty now.

Lydia propped her hip on the edge of the table. "Let me explain how all this works." She placed a flowchart on the surface. "You have six months to conceive a baby, or you can opt for egg-sperm fertilization." She pointed to the two-pronged approach. "Either via carrier or via Veronica."

Veronica tsked. "I'm not down with that. I hate the idea of tubes and equipment making a child." She should know.

She'd lived the experience of having no parents because she'd been conceived via a test tube.

But she also couldn't get on board with being forced to copulate with Garrett. Not because she didn't find him attractive. Hell, she wanted to jump his bones on a regular basis … but not to have a kid.

Lydia frowned. "I'm presenting your options. You can decide how you'd like to proceed with Captain Delroy. I only mentioned outside fertilization as part of the plan."

Veronica shot back. "If you can game the system, you can keep us out of the loop. Being presumptuous isn't a license to wreck the status quo. And you were casting a long line with the assumption Captain Delroy and I would welcome this intrusion … at this time … in this way." The low boil of anger started rolling again.

Lydia quirked an eyebrow. "Would you rather take your chances to match with others?"

Garrett growled low in his throat. "Not a chance."

A kick of something primal settled in Veronica at his forceful answer. "What he said." The very idea of Garrett hooking up with someone else pissed Veronica off.

Lydia clasped her hands together and placed them in her lap. "Then we could explore harvesting an egg and using Captain Delroy's sperm to fertilize and implant into a surrogate."

Veronica popped out with a harsh "No fucking way." She jumped to her feet and leaned forward. "Will you make me do this."

This story is coming together in an unexpected way and I'm happy for that.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment