Sunday, March 3, 2019

Sunday Snippet: We Have a Winner

Well, hello, March. So far, I'm still battling the stupid respiratory crud I thought I was over last week. It was just a little reprieve. That said, I do feel way better than I did three days ago when I had a moment where I thought death might actually be a better option than being sick. LOL Then I remembered to not be a ninny and get over myself. In the grand scheme of things, a stupid recurring cold won't last forever.

I did have a decent week of television viewing. Started off with a weird episode of Lexx that I honestly don't remember if I finished or not. Cold meds make things a wee bit fuzzy.

Followed up with an episode of Strike Back and, man, did they cram a lot of stuff into a single episode. I love that about this show. So much goes down it's hard to keep up.

Started an episode of Midsomer Murders while doing laundry. One of the best things I've ever done is add a television to my laundry room. Makes the chore of sorting and folding much more enjoyable.

Watched the first episode of Iron Fist's new season. While the pace is a little slow, I loved catching up to where everyone is. Joy is the biggest surprise that isn't actually a surprise. It'll be interesting to see where she ends up by the end. And Ward just fascinates me. Looking forward to seeing him work through all of his issues. Or not. LOL Danny and Colleen are terrific and I'm curious about how the episode ended. Danny's got some internal drama to work through or so it seems.

Chicago Fire had a great episode. I'll be really pissed if anything happens to Cruz's Chloe. Here's hoping that works out okay. The way the episode ended though, with Matt's place in flames, doesn't bode well for him.

Gotham had such a great episode. The ending though? Holy crap. I did not see that coming. I'm actually loving this season so much.

Caught another Classic Roswell episode and it's one of my favorites where Liz's grandmother suffers a stroke and doesn't make it. Michael being sneaky is such a not-Michael thing and I loved it, too.

Watched another episode of Arrow and I'm slowly but surely getting caught up. A great theme about what being a hero entails. Also liked getting confirmation that Stanley's a weasel. Loved Oliver's face when that realization kicked in. Also watched another episode of Murdoch Mysteries. I loved seeing some of the secondary characters shine in this one.

Caught a few episodes of Classic Who while attempting to get through the huge stack of dishes I have waiting to be washed. Being down with the sickness doesn't mean those buggers wash themselves. Bleh.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from We Have a Winner, a sexy short that started with a writing community prompt of write a scene or story about someone winning a bet on when a couple would hookup.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Kella Yates and Weston Grogan can't fight their attraction and everyone knows it. The entire crew of their ship waits in anticipation for their inevitable hook-up. When they finally cave in to their lust, the winner of the when will it happen pool can be declared.

And a sneaky peek…

"Last but not least, the super-secret pool of when Kella and Weston will finally hookup has not been won yet." Josh Hardway glanced at the clipboard in his hands. "That means Jones, Morrison, Benji, uh… Michael and Melli are out in the cold." He raised his head. "Any of you want to place a wager on a new date?"
Melli sighed. "Dammit, I would've won if I didn't have such crappy timing." A round of commiseration went through the room. "I swear if I'd been five minutes later, I would've caught them." With her luck, they probably finished what they started as soon as she left.
Didn't matter. The pool specifically stated the duo had to be caught in the act not necessarily that it had to be their first time. For all the rest of the crew knew, Kella and Weston fornicated like rabbits on a regular basis.
Melli shivered. What a visual.
Josh hand-waved her protest. "Yeah, yeah. No proof and foreplay doesn't count." He gave her a pointed look. "You're out of luck." Waving the clipboard, he waggled his eyebrows.
Melli grabbed a five from her pocket and slapped it on the table. "Fine. Give me the next open date." With the popularity of this pool, she might be looking at some time next year.
Josh smirked and pocketed the money. "Can't quit while you're ahead, can you?"
Melli snorted. "There is no ahead in this pool. It's all in or lose out." She'd been in from the beginning and she'd stay to the bitter end.
Too bad no one figured it would be over six months with no winner. The wild-eyed chemistry between Kella and Weston all but set the ship on fire. Maybe they'd found some out of the way place to get it on.
Josh laughed then held up the clipboard again. "Any of you other losers wanna get back in the pool?"
Jones and Michael opted out, but Morrison and Benji stayed in, handing over their money. Melli did a quick calculation and shook her head.
She got up and faced the gathered group. "Seriously? Whoever wins this better throw the biggest damn party we've ever seen." There had to be close to a thousand bucks on the line.
Definitely not the usual fifty to one hundred they usually collected if they won a pool.
Melli planned to stake out the couple on her downtime to up the chances she'd walk away the winner. After all, she had more than money invested in the outcome. Her romantic side wanted Kella and Weston to find happiness in each other's arms.

I'm having a lot of fun with this little story. Kella and Weston have quite the following on the ship.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment